Uber fucked

Warren

Re: Uber fucked

Post by Warren » 07 Jun 2017, 07:27

nicole wrote:
Warren wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
Warren wrote:I like having all the groceries I could ever want in my house, so when I get a hankering for a midnight snack I don't have to get dressed and remember my wallet and keys. Sometimes I don't even turn a light on.
Yeah, but what if you run out of pastry flour and you want to prep pie dough for pie baking the next day?
I've got the better part of three pounds in the pantry. If you don't have to live in a closet, there's space in your closets to store stuff.
My apartment is bigger than my parents' suburban house.
Really?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jun 2017, 07:31

Jadagul wrote:
Warren wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
Warren wrote:I like having all the groceries I could ever want in my house, so when I get a hankering for a midnight snack I don't have to get dressed and remember my wallet and keys. Sometimes I don't even turn a light on.
Yeah, but what if you run out of pastry flour and you want to prep pie dough for pie baking the next day?
I've got the better part of three pounds in the pantry. If you don't have to live in a closet, there's space in your closets to store stuff.
Well, sure. But you have to restock at some point. Three pounds is like one day of moderately heavy baking.

It really sucks when I hit the end of my supplies after the grocery closes at 2 AM.
Three pounds of bread flour will last me six months or more. Restocking takes place during regular business hours when I'm already dressed and streets are full of law-abiding sober people.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Jun 2017, 10:13

Warren wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
Warren wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
Well, sure. But you have to restock at some point. Three pounds is like one day of moderately heavy baking.

It really sucks when I hit the end of my supplies after the grocery closes at 2 AM.
Three pounds of bread flour will last me six months or more. Restocking takes place during regular business hours when I'm already dressed and streets are full of law-abiding sober people.
Well that's no fun.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Jun 2017, 10:34

Warren wrote:
nicole wrote:
Warren wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
My apartment is bigger than my parents' suburban house.
Really?
Oh, substantially. More storage in just about every respect as well, except outdoors. The only thing they have on me is a second fridge. But I have a walk in pantry bigger than either of their bathrooms.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 07 Jun 2017, 10:35

Food takes up less space than cooking equipment, in my experience.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 Jun 2017, 18:56

Warren wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
Warren wrote:
Jadagul wrote:

You obviously don't bake enough bread. I've sometimes gone through three pounds in a day.
Fin Fang Foom wrote:Food takes up less space than cooking equipment, in my experience.
Definitely. My dining room is really just my "expanded kitchen storage room".

Shem

Post by Shem » 07 Jun 2017, 19:04

Jadagul, if someone, even Warren, tells you "I don't do *insert weird thing Jadagul does*," your response should be "I am in no way a barometer of the non-weird, therefore my behavior, whole perfectly reasonable for a citizen of The People's Republic of Jadagulia, cannot be applied as a standard by which other human beings are assessed."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Jun 2017, 20:32

Jadagul wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:Food takes up less space than cooking equipment, in my experience.
Definitely. My dining room is really just my "expanded kitchen storage room".
And mine. My kitchen cabinets contain no food at all; our non-refrigerated or -frozen stuff is all kept on shelves lining the "dining room" walls. (That said, other than the unreasonably small kitchen, this is a pretty big apartment, and with ample storage space too. Definitely better than our Loudoun townhouse was, in that regard. Except for the kitchen.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Jun 2017, 22:17

Jesus fucking Christ. How was this dude not fired in the Sexual Harassment Panda shakeout and only fired after the reporter called them about this? Also, this is how you get regs like HIPPA.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Jun 2017, 09:08

If Kalanick takes a 3 month leave of absense, that's gotta be a face saving way of making it permanent 3 months later.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Jun 2017, 15:56

Release new policies in the morning to talk about how much better you're going to be with making your corporate culture more welcoming, and have another board member get himself resigned in the evening:
The exchange in question took place at a meeting to discuss the new policies and the absence of the company’s embattled CEO, Travis Kalanick. According to a recording obtained by Yahoo, Arianna Huffington, a board member, says, “There’s a lot of data that shows when there’s one woman on the board, it’s much more likely that there will be a second woman on the board.” Bonderman replies, “Actually what it shows is it’s much likely to be more talking,” to which Huffington says, “Oh come on, David.”
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 14 Jun 2017, 18:50

If I had anything to do with Uber at this point I'd be looking for any excuse to bail. Their strategy at the moment seems to be:

1. Lose lots of money while making yourself look bad
2. ???
3. Invent self-driving cars for PROFIT!
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Jun 2017, 07:18

Highway wrote:Release new policies in the morning to talk about how much better you're going to be with making your corporate culture more welcoming, and have another board member get himself resigned in the evening:
The exchange in question took place at a meeting to discuss the new policies and the absence of the company’s embattled CEO, Travis Kalanick. According to a recording obtained by Yahoo, Arianna Huffington, a board member, says, “There’s a lot of data that shows when there’s one woman on the board, it’s much more likely that there will be a second woman on the board.” Bonderman replies, “Actually what it shows is it’s much likely to be more talking,” to which Huffington says, “Oh come on, David.”
hahahaha did he have a stroke?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Jun 2017, 08:47

I'm sure this will work out swimmingly.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/uber-now- ... 11744.html

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Jun 2017, 09:22

I guess we will see what Amazon can do with a much larger grocery footprint:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/16/amazon-i ... llion.html

It may just do the same thing, but better, like with WaPo.

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Jun 2017, 09:33

(Is this the right thread for this?) My quick opinion is that it's the kind of thing that Amazon would need to try to move into grocery delivery, especially with more perishable items. Mostly because Whole Foods has that premium reputation and good quality reputation brandwide, moreso than even national chains like Safeway. So I think that it forestalls a lot of worries about quality if they start sourcing home delivery of grocery items from Whole Foods.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 16 Jun 2017, 09:38

Highway wrote:(Is this the right thread for this?) My quick opinion is that it's the kind of thing that Amazon would need to try to move into grocery delivery, especially with more perishable items. Mostly because Whole Foods has that premium reputation and good quality reputation brandwide, moreso than even national chains like Safeway. So I think that it forestalls a lot of worries about quality if they start sourcing home delivery of grocery items from Whole Foods.
It would definitely alleviate my concerns about getting every bruised and rotting apple if I don't pick them out myself.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 16 Jun 2017, 10:33

Highway wrote:(Is this the right thread for this?) My quick opinion is that it's the kind of thing that Amazon would need to try to move into grocery delivery, especially with more perishable items. Mostly because Whole Foods has that premium reputation and good quality reputation brandwide, moreso than even national chains like Safeway. So I think that it forestalls a lot of worries about quality if they start sourcing home delivery of grocery items from Whole Foods.
Not exactly sure what you mean by "to try to move into grocery delivery" because they do already do it. Including perishable. Though I assume supporting that business is why they're buying WF.

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Jun 2017, 10:37

I meant on a more widespread basis.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Jun 2017, 11:44

I've already seen "OMG anti trust!" reactions. OFFS.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Jun 2017, 12:37

Soon your list of recommendations will include "People who bought this book also bought a $4 peeled orange and kale chips."

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Jun 2017, 12:38

Eric the .5b wrote:I've already seen "OMG anti trust!" reactions. OFFS.
I doubt that they have much inbthe way of overlapping markets, so this is unlikely to be a problem.

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Jun 2017, 12:51

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
I doubt that they have much inbthe way of overlapping markets, so this is unlikely to be a problem.
Psh, what's with this actual analysis besides "OMG A big company and the only grocery store I go to! They're going to be too big and raise the price of my radicchio!"

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Jun 2017, 13:11

Highway wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Psh, what's with this actual analysis besides "OMG A big company and the only grocery store I go to! They're going to be too big and raise the price of my radicchio!"
You're going to have to start shoplifting your avocados, bruh.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 16 Jun 2017, 13:32

Highway wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Well, Amazon and Whole Foods together probably account for like 80% of my shopping.