Uber fucked

nicole

Re: Uber fucked

Post by nicole » 06 Jun 2017, 12:58

Sandy wrote:I have a strong suspicion that your point of view on this is closely correlated to how much of a hassle you think car ownership is.
This is an interesting point...I could easily see myself as being skeptical of the self-driving car revolution because I don't see car ownership as much of a hassle at all (after all, I have one when the utility for me is FAR lower than for probably just about all of the rest of you guys). But then I'm also skeptical that many non-urbanites see car ownership as that much of a hassle, when it's so much more valuable to them than it is to me.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Jun 2017, 12:59

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:Also, I doubt one would run many errands for shopping anyways. Absent labor costs, grocery delivery should explode.
I suspect that depends a lot on how much you care about produce and sell-by dates on perishables.
I think an individual would still be able to own a car for a similar elative price, but I doubt that current grocery stores would be able to compete on price with a windowless, mostly automated warehouse sixty miles out of town. There might be farners markets and even more expensive Whole Foods type places, but Kroger would likely die.
You'd be surprised by how many people say they enjoy grocery shopping.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 Jun 2017, 13:03

nicole wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:Also, I doubt one would run many errands for shopping anyways. Absent labor costs, grocery delivery should explode.
I suspect that depends a lot on how much you care about produce and sell-by dates on perishables.
I think an individual would still be able to own a car for a similar elative price, but I doubt that current grocery stores would be able to compete on price with a windowless, mostly automated warehouse sixty miles out of town. There might be farners markets and even more expensive Whole Foods type places, but Kroger would likely die.
Grocery stores have margins of like one percent. It wouldn't take much disruption to annihilate the industry.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 06 Jun 2017, 13:13

I don't enjoy grocery shopping, but neither do I trust a grocery store employee to pick my produce and meat. Packaged goods? Who cares? I may start using Kroger's pick and pull service for non-refrigerated stuff.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 Jun 2017, 13:20

tr0g wrote:I don't enjoy grocery shopping, but neither do I trust a grocery store employee to pick my produce and meat. Packaged goods? Who cares? I may start using Kroger's pick and pull service for non-refrigerated stuff.
You prefer picking out your coyple of days old, plastic wrapped meat rather than having a skilled butcher (or butcher bot) cut the exact thing you want within a couple of hours of delivery to you?

Also, if you pay them $15 an hour, your grocery store produce people will know way more about good produce than you ever will.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 06 Jun 2017, 13:24

I use Amazon for 90% of my grocery needs now. The rest being some fruit and maybe some bathroom items that I forgot to order and happen to be running low. There is something to say for walking the isles of grocery store if your not sure what you are looking for. But I don't know that's going to keep them around. Likely you'll see enhanced service stuff like fresh fruit and veggies along with deli style services. The stores changing into something more like Whole Foods with higher end items and personal service targeted to the area they occupy. More of place to discover foods than just grabbing stuff to fill your cake hole. I don't know if that's profitable though.

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2017, 13:25

Doesn't solving rush hour demand basically solve the slack in the system issue?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Jun 2017, 13:31

This is one of those ceteris paribus things where it's completely unrealistic to assume things would be the same. People move all the time. New development happens all the time. People who like shopping would go shopping and structure their lives to be that way. People who don't mind having their food delivered will be different.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Jun 2017, 13:34

Mo wrote:Doesn't solving rush hour demand basically solve the slack in the system issue?
But how do you solve it? There's going to be a peak time where demand substantially outstrips the rest of the day.

Or do you mean that having enough cars for rush hour demand basically guarantees slack at all other times?
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

JD

Post by JD » 06 Jun 2017, 13:35

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
tr0g wrote:I don't enjoy grocery shopping, but neither do I trust a grocery store employee to pick my produce and meat. Packaged goods? Who cares? I may start using Kroger's pick and pull service for non-refrigerated stuff.
You prefer picking out your coyple of days old, plastic wrapped meat rather than having a skilled butcher (or butcher bot) cut the exact thing you want within a couple of hours of delivery to you?

Also, if you pay them $15 an hour, your grocery store produce people will know way more about good produce than you ever will.
That seems like a false dichotomy. There's also "go to butcher in person, pick out meat, and have skilled butcher cut it for you, with zero hours delivery time." Also, given that $15/hour is about the minimum wage here now, it ensures nothing. Not that you could ever pay people enough to make them care, anyway.

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2017, 13:36

thoreau wrote:
Mo wrote:Doesn't solving rush hour demand basically solve the slack in the system issue?
But how do you solve it? There's going to be a peak time where demand substantially outstrips the rest of the day.

Or do you mean that having enough cars for rush hour demand basically guarantees slack at all other times?
The latter.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Jun 2017, 13:38

Non perishables I get increasingly online. I'm getting my own produce and proteins. The bad butcher meat I just got was me running past the counter saying I wanted chorizo and pork tenderloins then running to the fish guy to look around. I never saw what they grabbed.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 Jun 2017, 13:48

JD wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:

That seems like a false dichotomy. There's also "go to butcher in person, pick out meat, and have skilled butcher cut it for you, with zero hours delivery time." Also, given that $15/hour is about the minimum wage here now, it ensures nothing. Not that you could ever pay people enough to make them care, anyway.
The numbee of people who go to the butcher regularly to get their meat cut persobally is vanishingly small. Atisanal butchers and farmees markets are already light luxury goods. Cheap delivery hits Krogers and Publix, not fancy places that are a luxury good As to wages, in NYC, you could pay more, but the warehouse would be somewhere up in Sullivan County or something.

You might have more artisanal places than now, just like Amazon hurts Borders and Barnes and Noble but seems to be good for indie bookstores.

Shem

Post by Shem » 06 Jun 2017, 18:08

Sandy wrote:
I've been using delivery services for my groceries off and on for the past 10 years, including for deli meats, produce, and butcher block items, and I've never noticed an appreciable difference between what I get at the store and what's delivered to me. In fact, if you go with Safeway, the odds are decent that the stuff you get is coming out of an actual local store, which is much cheaper than building enough warehouses to serve the whole country, and has the benefit of driving store sales. The real problem is the inability to get items on an as-needed basis. If they're out, or you forget something, you're kind of screwed.

Also, after working in the dairy/produce section of a grocery store for the better part of a year, if you think your buying habits aren't already carefully managed to get you to take subpar perishable merchandise without realizing it, you have an insufficient understanding of merchant depravity. If anything, the delivery stuff is better, because attention is heightened and the consequences of unhappy customers are higher.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Jun 2017, 19:49

I don't pick out random apples from the bin, though. I try to get the younger and less battered ones. So comparing source to source isn't the point. Picking them out myself is.

And I used to work in a grocery store and am familiar with the tricks. I still look st cuts of meat and get the milk with the later expiration date on it. I'm pretty sure none of that happens in delivery. It's why I don't get the bag of apples from Aldi, either.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Jun 2017, 20:27

nicole wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Sandy wrote:
I like grocery shopping, and I go more often than not without a car.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 Jun 2017, 20:29

I like living a block away from the grocery store so I can just walk over in the middle of the night.

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Jun 2017, 21:35

Same.

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2017, 21:43

Same and I live in the burbs.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jun 2017, 22:47

I like having all the groceries I could ever want in my house, so when I get a hankering for a midnight snack I don't have to get dressed and remember my wallet and keys. Sometimes I don't even turn a light on.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 Jun 2017, 00:14

Warren wrote:I like having all the groceries I could ever want in my house, so when I get a hankering for a midnight snack I don't have to get dressed and remember my wallet and keys. Sometimes I don't even turn a light on.
Yeah, but what if you run out of pastry flour and you want to prep pie dough for pie baking the next day?

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jun 2017, 00:54

Jadagul wrote:
Warren wrote:I like having all the groceries I could ever want in my house, so when I get a hankering for a midnight snack I don't have to get dressed and remember my wallet and keys. Sometimes I don't even turn a light on.
Yeah, but what if you run out of pastry flour and you want to prep pie dough for pie baking the next day?
I've got the better part of three pounds in the pantry. If you don't have to live in a closet, there's space in your closets to store stuff.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 Jun 2017, 01:47

Warren wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
I've got the better part of three pounds in the pantry. If you don't have to live in a closet, there's space in your closets to store stuff.
Well, sure. But you have to restock at some point. Three pounds is like one day of moderately heavy baking.

It really sucks when I hit the end of my supplies after the grocery closes at 2 AM.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Jun 2017, 01:59

Here in the suburbs I just drive the three miles to the 24hr super Walmart.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Jun 2017, 06:22

Warren wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
My apartment is bigger than my parents' suburban house.