The Enemy of My Enemy

nicole

Re: The Enemy of My Enemy

Post by nicole » 07 Sep 2017, 09:54

I guess I should post about Verrit here but I'm already sick of that and just saw this:

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Sep 2017, 10:26

Trump is not that sophisticated (if racism can be described as 'sophisticated').

It is all about HIM. It wouldn't matter if his predecessor were whiter than white, Trump's ego would drive him to expunge his predecessor's legacy in order to supplant it with his own.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 07 Sep 2017, 10:57

I am kind of baffled by people that think Ta-Nehisi Coates is smart and/or insightful.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 Sep 2017, 11:21

tr0g wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 10:57
I am kind of baffled by people that think Ta-Nehisi Coates is smart and/or insightful.
Absolutely astounding. Thin gruel for the worst white American liberals. "Nigger climate change" is worthy of vintage Tom Wolfe.

Lets have an ernest, handwringing discussion about slavery reparations.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 07 Sep 2017, 11:33

i mostly like coates, even if he has no idea how to end a meandering. he can be a powerful writer.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Sep 2017, 11:52

dbcooper wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 11:21
tr0g wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 10:57
Absolutely astounding. Thin gruel for the worst white American liberals. "Nigger climate change" is worthy of vintage Tom Wolfe.

Lets have an ernest, handwringing discussion about slavery reparations.
200w_d.gif
200w_d.gif (93.84 KiB) Viewed 755 times
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Sep 2017, 12:01

I've read a few TNC articles and thought they were fine, but I haven't read enough to really get annoyed.

As far as how white liberals react to him, I think I'll outsource my commentary to John McWhorter and Glenn Loury.

https://bloggingheads.tv/videos/43716?i ... 6?in=14:38

I'll just add that there's a certain type of white liberal who, if presented with TNC's grocery list, would give interrupt their "Wonder Woman was the first action movie with a female lead in the entire history of cinema!" commentary and immediately start gushing about the "Profound, important lessons contained in this powerfully-offered list of foodstuffs."
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 07 Sep 2017, 12:52

dhex wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 11:33
i mostly like coates, even if he has no idea how to end a meandering. he can be a powerful writer.
Just not in comics or blogging for Salon/Slate/wherever?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Sep 2017, 13:05

When he hits, he's quite good. A lot of his stuff is a collection of well-crafted sentences which mean very little.

I have to confess, though, I used to conflate him and Matt Taibbi, so I should not be trusted on anything.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 07 Sep 2017, 14:37

TNC can turn a good phrase sometimes, but mostly when I read him I say "...and that's why he's white bourgeois liberals' favorite Black writer." He's like Malcolm X meets Mr. Rogers. "We declare our right on this earth to be a man, to be a human being, to be respected as a human being, to be given the rights of a human being in this society, on this earth, in this day, which we intend to bring into existence by any means necessary. Or, you know, maybe not. I dunno. Maybe we just need to talk about stuff."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 Sep 2017, 20:43

I really liked him in like 2008-2012. At some point he stopped being terribly interesting or compelling. I'm not sure what changed, but something did. I wonder if some of it was the hagiography.

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Sep 2017, 21:28

He read his own press clippings.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Sep 2017, 09:22

He writes with flair but after 3-4 observations of note he just keeps piling on in the hope of generating more response but without having anything new to say.

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Sep 2017, 12:59

The actual best excerpt from Hillary's book:

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Sep 2017, 13:26

I'm reminded of Joe-from-LoL going on about how the PATRIOT Act, etc. was enabled by the concept of small government.

How does that work? Because.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Sep 2017, 13:31

Like all good propaganda, Joe's lie had a kernel of truth. The expansion of the security state has been assisted by conservatives believing that they can support a massive security state and still support small government.

That's different from saying that a more sane interpretation of the words "small" and "government" enabled the security state.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 12 Sep 2017, 13:38

thoreau wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 13:31
Like all good propaganda, Joe's lie had a kernel of truth. The expansion of the security state has been assisted by conservatives [correctly - DM] believing that they can support a massive security state and still support small government win elections.
FTFY, broski
thoreau wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 13:31
Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Can we get rid of tapatalk signatures? It's just clutter.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Sep 2017, 16:42

Dangerman wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 13:38
Can we get rid of tapatalk signatures? It's just clutter.
OK.
--Shem

JD

Post by JD » 12 Sep 2017, 17:18

Heh. "attempting to redefine reality" - oh, like when you tell people that you arrived in Bosnia under sniper fire? Seriously, when fucking Sinbad owns you on that claim, you know you look stupid...
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Sep 2017, 17:24

Ugh. I held my nose and voted for Hillary because I liked the fact that she's Not Donald Trump, but that's pretty much the only thing I liked about her. (And even when I figured she'd win the election, I did not like the idea "America's first woman president will be someone whose political career only exists because she was married to another president who was quite popular in many circles." That hardly counts as a feminist victory in my book.) Now I just wish she'd STFU, settle for the consolation prize of being stupid-stinking rich, and go away already.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Sep 2017, 17:34

How about a compromise: If Trump agrees to leave office, his consolation prize is that he gets to have another season of Celebrity Apprentice, Hillary Clinton is on it, and he can use the show as a platform to humiliate her (with help from Sinbad).
--Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Sep 2017, 18:01

I'd DVR that and never watch it.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Sep 2017, 19:46

I'd watch it and listen to the after show podcast.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Sep 2017, 22:27

I'd send it to everybody with a Hillary bumper sticker.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 15 Sep 2017, 18:29

Hahahaha Hillary likes fucking bubble tea