PS 411

Post by nicole » 08 Feb 2017, 11:21

A thread about government schools
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

nicole

Re: PS 411

Post by nicole » 08 Feb 2017, 11:21

CPS sends ultrapartisan letter home with all students accusing Gov. Rauner of "stealing" from children: http://wgntv.com/2017/02/07/all-cps-stu ... ting-kids/

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Feb 2017, 11:23

Warren Meyer has some pretty good posts about School Choice and the poor record of spending in public schools such as this.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Feb 2017, 14:37

there may very well be a way to write that letter that both explains the cuts and directs parents to an outlet to yell at without being all facebook posty...but i'm not sure what that is.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Feb 2017, 15:08

dhex wrote:there may very well be a way to write that letter that both explains the cuts and directs parents to an outlet to yell at without being all facebook posty...but i'm not sure what that is.
Yeah, that's an interesting question, because you kind of have to presuppose that parents think the schools should get more funding, right, that furloughing teachers on nonschool days is bad, etc.

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Apr 2017, 12:33

Starting with next year’s freshman class, in order to receive their high school diploma, all CPS students would have to show an acceptance letter to a four-year university, a community college, a trade school or apprenticeship, an internship, or a branch of the armed services.

“We already have around 62 percent of our kids are already either accepted into college or accepted into community college, and our goal is to make sure nobody spikes the ball at 12th grade. We want to make 14th grade universal. That’s the new goal line,” Emanuel told CBS This Morning on Wednesday.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/04/05/ ... gh-school/

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 Apr 2017, 12:39

So they can't just graduate? If they're not doing something deemed "worthy" they *can't* graduate? What a stupid ass incentive system.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2017, 12:47

Kolohe wrote:So they can't just graduate? If they're not doing something deemed "worthy" they *can't* graduate? What a stupid ass incentive system.
That doesn't make sense. Like I don't think the military will even take you. I think the only thing they can mean is they won't let you participate in the ceremony and they hold onto your diploma.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Apr 2017, 14:08

Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:So they can't just graduate? If they're not doing something deemed "worthy" they *can't* graduate? What a stupid ass incentive system.
That doesn't make sense. Like I don't think the military will even take you. I think the only thing they can mean is they won't let you participate in the ceremony and they hold onto your diploma.
Not sure what you mean about the military here. If you join up you get your diploma.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2017, 14:15

Times change and I don't know how things are now. When I went into the navy, it was peace time, there was good training and the GI bill to be had, Reagan was pumping money into the armed forces, and they could afford to be a little choosy about who they took. So you had to have a HS diploma or a GED to get in.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Apr 2017, 14:26

Warren wrote:Times change and I don't know how things are now. When I went into the navy, it was peace time, there was good training and the GI bill to be had, Reagan was pumping money into the armed forces, and they could afford to be a little choosy about who they took. So you had to have a HS diploma or a GED to get in.
Ah. I don't know what it's like now myself, but I graduated HS in 2001 and there were kids who had signed up months before the end of the school year, intending to start right after graduation.

Boy were they in for a surprise.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 05 Apr 2017, 14:42

I see trade school, apprenticeship, and internship listed, but I don't see "getting a damn job and going to work" listed.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 05 Apr 2017, 14:58

Andrew wrote:I see trade school, apprenticeship, and internship listed, but I don't see "getting a damn job and going to work" listed.
Donors don't get any money if a kid just goes and gets a job without 2 more years of regulated training. Keep them in school longer = more money for educrats.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Apr 2017, 21:55

Fucking WHAT? Tough break for Chicago kids so poor they can't even afford application fees to various schools -- either enlist to become cannon fodder, or fuck you.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 05 Apr 2017, 22:48

"Cannon fodder", eh?
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Apr 2017, 23:13

Solitudinarian wrote:"Cannon fodder", eh?
When made mandatory for kids who want to graduate high school but are too poor to pay for college application fees (especially for schools they wouldn't be able to afford even if they were accepted), yes.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 06 Apr 2017, 05:56

Jennifer wrote:
Solitudinarian wrote:"Cannon fodder", eh?
When made mandatory for kids who want to graduate high school but are too poor to pay for college application fees (especially for schools they wouldn't be able to afford even if they were accepted), yes.
No. Unjust, most certainly and, in my view, inarguably -- but you could have chosen your words with more care.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Apr 2017, 13:30

Yeah, cannon fodder is so 19th Century. IED fodder is where it's at.

(apologies, Sol. if it makes you feel any better, the snackstealer is now an infantryman, although he gets to ride around in a posh Bradley. And now in the posh gunner's seat, instead of packed up into the back with the rest of the squad. And given his station right now, he's in much more danger from cannons than ieds.)
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Apr 2017, 13:52

lunchstealer wrote:Yeah, cannon fodder is so 19th Century. IED fodder is where it's at.

(apologies, Sol. if it makes you feel any better, the snackstealer is now an infantryman, although he gets to ride around in a posh Bradley. And now in the posh gunner's seat, instead of packed up into the back with the rest of the squad. And given his station right now, he's in much more danger from cannons than ieds.)
Hey now that you mention it. Hooray for the snackstealer getting his life on track. Chalk up another win for the military in shearing off the corners of a teenage peg.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Apr 2017, 10:35

Worth County, GA — Children feel violated, parents are furious, and a lawsuit is getting filed after the Worth County Sheriff’s office conducted an illegal search of 900 students — in the name of the war on drugs. The rights-violating intrusive and aggressive patdowns and drug dog searches yielded absolutely nothing.

On April 14, when the students of Worth County High School returned from spring break, they arrived at school to find a police state had taken over. The sheriff and his deputies — with no probable cause — detained and illegally searched every single child in the school, all 900 of them.

When kids went home that day to tell their parents what happened, naturally, they were furious as it is a gross violation of the children’s 4th Amendment rights.
http://www.activistpost.com/2017/04/cop ... rious.html

lololol. If kids had rights, you wouldn't be able to send them to prison camps to begin with, fools.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Apr 2017, 12:45

nicole wrote:
Worth County, GA — Children feel violated, parents are furious, and a lawsuit is getting filed after the Worth County Sheriff’s office conducted an illegal search of 900 students — in the name of the war on drugs. The rights-violating intrusive and aggressive patdowns and drug dog searches yielded absolutely nothing.

On April 14, when the students of Worth County High School returned from spring break, they arrived at school to find a police state had taken over. The sheriff and his deputies — with no probable cause — detained and illegally searched every single child in the school, all 900 of them.

When kids went home that day to tell their parents what happened, naturally, they were furious as it is a gross violation of the children’s 4th Amendment rights.

lololol. If kids had rights, you wouldn't be able to send them to prison camps to begin with, fools.
I'm actually amazed at the parental push-back. There's been a few of these things in the past and aside from a few commies at the ACLU everyone agrees it's unfortunate but we need something something for the children. The line seems to be the touching. You can shove a gun in a kids face, order him to his knees, search his back-pack and locker, but if you put your hands where his bathing suit covers, you've violated him.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Apr 2017, 12:53

Warren wrote:
nicole wrote:

I'm actually amazed at the parental push-back. There's been a few of these things in the past and aside from a few commies at the ACLU everyone agrees it's unfortunate but we need something something for the children. The line seems to be the touching. You can shove a gun in a kids face, order him to his knees, search his back-pack and locker, but if you put your hands where his bathing suit covers, you've violated him.
Well, if they'd hired RC priests as deputies, they'd be alright.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 27 Apr 2017, 13:08

Aresen wrote:Well, if they'd hired RC priests as deputies, they'd be alright.
Not so much in rural Georgia.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 27 Apr 2017, 15:01

nicole wrote:
WHAT A BORING LOT!

Well, unless they hid it too good even for the dogs and pats....
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 Apr 2017, 17:03

fyodor wrote:
nicole wrote:
WHAT A BORING LOT!

Well, unless they hid it too good even for the dogs and pats....
I just hope some of the kids asked why the teachers and principal weren't being searched.