If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Warren

Re: If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by Warren » 10 Nov 2019, 22:20

Taktix® wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 21:45
EEK!

Just in case the tweet gets memory hole'd: https://gothamist.com/news/armored-ice- ... earms-bust
Yes, exactly like Nazi Germany. I think Crystal Night is scheduled for next Thursday.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Ellie » 10 Nov 2019, 23:38

Posted on Facebook by a local charity that helps immigrants facing deportation:
The United States government and its collaborators gleefully stuffing their pockets with the pain and suffering of our immigrant sisters and brothers. Proposed fee increasea and outrageous proposed changes:

❗️Transfers $207.6M from USCIS to ICE

❗️Increases the citizenship application fee (N-400) from $640 to $1170

❗️Eliminates fee waivers for some applications, including the N-400 and citizenship related forms

❗️Charging $50 to apply for asylum - making the U.S. just the fourth country in the world to charge those seeking asylum

❗️DACA application fee increases from $495 to $765

#AbolishICEandCollaborators
Ew. Fuck off. I used to roll my eyes at that old chestnut about "It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and our air force has to have a bake-sale to buy a bomber," but I'd love that to happen here. Make ICE hustle for all their money. No more fees. No more tax dollars. Get out there and bake some cookies. Mow some lawns. Suck dick if you have to.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

thoreau
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by thoreau » 11 Nov 2019, 00:28

I mean, if ICE is going to arrest the dudes looking for work outside the Home Depot, the least they can do is get on the truck and earn some bucks.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Nov 2019, 23:55

CBP won't be vaccinating detainees against the flu
In a statement to ABC News, the CBP noted that individuals in CBP custody should not be held for more than 72 hours. Earlier this year, when CBP camps were overcrowded, the migrants' stays were often longer than the three days allowed.

CBP referred to logistical difficulties in implementing a vaccine program on top of its existing medical efforts, which includes more than 250 nurse practitioners and physician assistants along the Southwestern U.S. border.

“To try and layer a comprehensive vaccinations system on to that would be logistically very challenging for a number of reasons. There's a system and process for implementing vaccines – for supply chains, for quality control, for documentation, for informed consent, for adverse reactions," the CBP said in a statement.
There is also no requirement that CBP staff receive the influenza vaccine. If officers do not get the flu vaccine it can end up being dangerous for the officers and their families and communities when they go home from work.
“To us in the medical community the situation is alarming. When the CBP stated in August that they weren’t planning on vaccinating we saw this as egregious to deny basic health care access to people forced to stay in their care," said Dr. Bonnie Arzuaga, a Boston-based pediatrician and one of the founders of Doctors for Camp Closure.

The organization is a volunteer group of 2,000 U.S. based physicians who support the closing of the Customs and Border camps because of public health concerns. The organization volunteered to provide free influenza vaccines to those detained but the government never responded.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Nov 2019, 23:58

As has been noted, the cruelty is the point.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Masked Grylliader

Post by Masked Grylliader » 27 Nov 2019, 14:01

@LisPower1 wrote:This story is WILD

ICE created a fake university, then:

- enticed foreign-born students to attend
- charged them money
- arrested them
- deported them

Students had come legally on student visas, but since the school was fake the visas weren't valid.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 277686002/

-Ellie
Remember, remember

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Nov 2019, 07:44

That story is a fucking disgrace.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Nov 2019, 14:29

Nth repetition of "the cruelty IS the point."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 04 Dec 2019, 10:50

This is horrifying and jaw-dropping:
A New Yorker who gained US citizenship as a child is suddenly facing deportation, along with several green card-holding members of his family, after apparent targeting by the Trump administration in what the family believes is a clear case of anti-Muslim bias.

None of the individuals have a criminal record, and say the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) only raised questions about the validity of their immigration status after another relative was arrested following a terrorist incident in the city.
But everything changed in December 2017, when one of Ahsan’s brothers, Akayed, was arrested for detonating a homemade pipe bomb in a crowded New York City subway station.
From the moment of Akayed’s arrest, other family members say that despite being cleared by law enforcement, they began to see consequences.

Ahsan recounted receiving a letter from the bank notifying him that his personal and business banking accounts would be closed, and that the FBI put his business license on hold.
Then, in April 2019, Ahsan received a letter out of the blue from US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), part of the DHS, stating that the agency planned to cancel his US citizenship on the grounds it was not lawfully obtained.

In a panic, his mother and siblings applied for citizenship but soon received news that not only had their application been denied but that the DHS intended to revoke their green cards. On 6 November, Ullah’s mother and one of his sisters were detained for two days.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... eportation
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Dec 2019, 16:29

Jesus. McKinsey tried to help ICE save money on detention centers and they said some of the shit they offered was too cruel. Also, seems kinda fucked up that the best the brainiacs at McKinsey could come up with was, “cut back on food and medicine”. Like, even one of Trump’s stupid kids could have thought of that.

https://www.propublica.org/article/how- ... n-policies
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Dec 2019, 22:00

This didn't age well.
FB_IMG_1575860303168.jpg
FB_IMG_1575860303168.jpg (58.17 KiB) Viewed 171 times
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 08 Dec 2019, 22:13

thoreau wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 22:00
This didn't age well.
It does say probably.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Dec 2019, 01:24

Andrew wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 22:13
thoreau wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 22:00
This didn't age well.
It does say probably.
Yeah, Trump was probably gonna lose according to 538, but...
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Dec 2019, 10:39

Seeing as how it is obviously shopped, it hasn't really aged at all.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Dec 2019, 10:44

On the other hand, when Trump was first elected, a lot of "too cool to care" types did say things like "Gee, from the way people are freaking out, you'd think he was going to open internment camps or something" (with the obvious implication that only an idiot would think Candidate Trump's behavior might be in any way indicative of how President Trump would be).

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Dec 2019, 13:43

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Dec 2019, 13:46

That's some pretty serious Matthew 25 right there.
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Dec 2019, 14:06

thoreau wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 13:46
That's some pretty serious Matthew 25 right there.
???
Ohhhhh Heh.

But what are they trying to say here? That Jesus was an anchor baby?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Masked Grylliader

Post by Masked Grylliader » 09 Dec 2019, 14:25

Jesus was a refugee (after he was born, his family had to flee to Egypt to escape being killed by King Herod).

They're trying to point out that Christians supporting current immigration policies are not only ignoring Jesus's teaching in Matthew 25 (whatever you do to the least of my people, you do to me) but that Jesus LITERALLY was a refugee who LITERALLY would have been caged if he'd crossed into modern-day America.
Remember, remember

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Dec 2019, 15:04

Masked Grylliader wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 14:25
Jesus was a refugee (after he was born, his family had to flee to Egypt to escape being killed by King Herod).

They're trying to point out that Christians supporting current immigration policies are not only ignoring Jesus's teaching in Matthew 25 (whatever you do to the least of my people, you do to me) but that Jesus LITERALLY was a refugee who LITERALLY would have been caged if he'd crossed into modern-day America.
Oh
Well that's just wrong on many levels

I thought it was a play on words; The parable of the penned virgin.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Dec 2019, 23:26

Warren wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 10:39
Seeing as how it is obviously shopped, it hasn't really aged at all.
Dunno but Jeremy McClellan Comedy posted it on FB in 2015, so I mean yeah it has aged. The fear at the moment was that it would be internment camps for Muslims, but I mean not far off.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Dec 2019, 13:43

Why am I having to use wikipedia to figure out what's in the USMCA? It seems to be exactly the same. some things worse and some things better. Where are the peeps doing a run down on it?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 10 Dec 2019, 14:29

Masked Grylliader wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 14:25
Christians supporting current immigration policies are not only ignoring Jesus's teaching in Matthew 25 (whatever you do to the least of my people, you do to me)
They are also ignoring Hebrews 13. Well, the first part anyway (they sure lurv themselves some verse 17)
Continue in brotherly love. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. Remember those in prison as if you were bound with them, and those who are mistreated as if you were suffering with them.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."