If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Eric the .5b

Re: If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Oct 2019, 21:37

The numbers are down now that they're not separating families as an open matter-of-course, but they're still using every excuse they can to separate children based on vague claims of potential danger. Hundreds vs. thousands, but still horrible.

I hope this lawsuit does some damage, if only to drain ICE pension funds or the like. Let the bastards eat cat food when they're old.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Oct 2019, 22:50

Even an impoverished old age is better than what the ICE and CBP fuckers deserve; I'm thinking more along the liens of "Nuremberg trials." But of course that's not going to happen; they'll get pensions, alongside the torturers on the US government payroll.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Oct 2019, 20:43

More shenanigans from the concentration camp operators:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5d9c ... uG_UK_EcuU
ICE Moved 700 Women Out Of A Detention Center And Won’t Tell Lawyers Where They Are
Some of the women have serious medical issues, and lawyers worry they could die in detention.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 08 Oct 2019, 22:09

Shared in a local Facebook group for Episcopal churches campaigning to make Minnesota a sanctuary state. I have no news links to corroborate it so I hope the poster is making it up for attention. (But they are an employee at one of the group churches so they're not a total rando.)

I'm sad so I'm going to make you all be sad with me.
Our Somali neighbor got an ICE visit today and given 15 days to leave the country with his 4 children. His wife was killed by Huthi rebels and he brought his children here. One of his daughters died before they reached the US.
After ICE left today, his 12year old son climbed a tree in the front yard and hanged himself. This is the second Somali deportation in our neighborhood.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Oct 2019, 18:17

I have yet to see any coverage of this story. Which doesn't prove anything. :/

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2019, 18:24

Eric the .5b wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 18:17
I have yet to see any coverage of this story. Which doesn't prove anything. :/
Such horror stories might seriously qualify as "too common" to be newsworthy anymore. Like a couple years ago when my former across-the-breezeway neighbor fired bullets into my apartment (more precisely, at someone standing in front of my apartment) -- at the time I remember thinking "Shit, I hope mine and Jeff's names aren't mentioned in the news story about this" but I had nothing to worry about, because in the greater metro Atlanta area, "four stray bullets go through a neighbor's front door, though fortunately nobody inside was hit" doesn't even rate a one-sentence "news brief," let alone a full-fledged "news story." But it did indeed happen.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 09 Oct 2019, 21:27

That's HOTlanta for you though. YMMV
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2019, 23:04

The person followed up that they had heard it secondhand from someone else in their neighborhood and she was so upset she believed it without questioning. It turns out not to be true. They have already had one Somali family deported from their neighborhood so everyone is on edge. She totally owned up to being part of spreading misinformation and apologized.

Whew. I mean, fuck ICE no matter what, but whew.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2019, 23:08

Sad that this is what counts as "good news" these days, though.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Oct 2019, 00:11

Jennifer wrote:Sad that this is what counts as "good news" these days, though.
Well, hearing that a twelve year old hanging themselves in a tree turns out to be false is pretty much always good news.

*whispers*...except very occasionally when it’s your twelve year old and that’s how bad you need a break from their tweenering.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Oct 2019, 01:20

Ellie wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 23:04
They have already had one Somali family deported from their neighborhood so everyone is on edge. She totally owned up to being part of spreading misinformation and apologized.

Whew. I mean, fuck ICE no matter what, but whew.
Emphasis added. So many people double down or defend it.

That's another good thing, on top of the big one.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Oct 2019, 14:22

Now ICE is going around to elementary schools demanding to see student records! Luckily, the school refused.

https://www.abc15.com/news/national/nas ... rkxURhq7u4
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) was rebuffed by a local elementary school when it asked for student records.

According to the school district, ICE officials requested student records from Una Elementary School but school officials did not release them.

Una is a school that is largely made up of immigrant students. Thirty-nine percent of its students are English Language Learners, and 23 different languages are spoken at the school, according to a Nashville Scene report.

"...all MNPS employees, contractors, and volunteers are respectful of the privacy of students and families," school officials said in a statement. "...only an authorized official (the principal) has authority to determine whether the student information can be released."

The circumstances surrounding ICE's request are unclear, but the news of it concerned immigration advocates.

"[ICE has] shown they will stop at nothing to strike fear in our communities and separate families in Nashville," said Conexión Américas Executive Director Juliana Ospina Cano in a statement.

Read the Metro Nashville Public School's full statement below.

"Immigration officials recently visited an MNPS school, Una Elementary, to request student records, but school officials did not release them.

Under Policy 6.600, all MNPS employees, contractors, and volunteers are respectful of the privacy of students and families. Confidential student records and information are not to be released. If anyone other than the student’s parent, guardian or other person the parent has authorized calls the school or comes to the school requesting access to a student, student records, or information about a student, only an authorized official (the principal) has authority to determine whether the student information can be released.

If the person requesting the information produces a document that appears to be a legal document that a principal has any question about, such as a warrant or other court order, MNPS principals are instructed to call their superiors for support and review.

It is a principal’s responsibility to share and explain the practical application of the policy to the school’s staff, including teachers and front office personnel, so they can help assure a safe and welcoming environment conducive to learning."

Read Ospina Cano's full statement below.

"We are heartened to see Metro Nashville Public Schools take action to proactively protect immigrant students and their families. Over the past few months, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials have shown they will stop at nothing to strike fear in our communities and separate families in Nashville. Our schools are places where our children go to learn, grow, and thrive in a safe and welcoming environment. And, teachers guide, serve, and shape lives with empathy, professionalism, and commitment to education.

Federal immigration enforcement has no place in Nashville schools or any school in Tennessee.

JD

Post by JD » 15 Oct 2019, 10:57

David Connors, 30, and his wife Eileen, 24, say they are being held in Pennsylvania with their three-month-old baby and are "traumatised".

They say were driving with relatives on 3 October when, to avoid an animal, they veered onto a small road.

A police officer then pulled them over, told them they were in the US state of Washington and arrested them.
The family say they did not realise they had strayed over the US border.

They were stopped by a police officer who did not read them their rights, nor allow them to "simply turn around" and go back to Canada, according to the complaint.

At first the young family say they were separated - with David Connors being held in a male-only cell, and Eileen Connors and their infant son in a women's cell.

Later, the husband was taken to a detention centre in Tacoma, Washington, while his wife and their baby son were taken to a budget hotel near Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, according to the complaint.

The following morning they say they were driven to the airport, which raised their hopes that they were being flown back to Canada or the UK.

"But that was not the case," Eileen Connors says in the sworn statement. Instead, they were flown to Pennsylvania - on the other side of the country.

They were taken on 5 October to Berks Family Residential Center (BFRC), one of three immigration detention centres in the US that can accommodate families.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50050467
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Oct 2019, 11:15

JD wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 10:57
David Connors, 30, and his wife Eileen, 24, say they are being held in Pennsylvania with their three-month-old baby and are "traumatised".

They say were driving with relatives on 3 October when, to avoid an animal, they veered onto a small road.

A police officer then pulled them over, told them they were in the US state of Washington and arrested them.
The family say they did not realise they had strayed over the US border.

They were stopped by a police officer who did not read them their rights, nor allow them to "simply turn around" and go back to Canada, according to the complaint.

At first the young family say they were separated - with David Connors being held in a male-only cell, and Eileen Connors and their infant son in a women's cell.

Later, the husband was taken to a detention centre in Tacoma, Washington, while his wife and their baby son were taken to a budget hotel near Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, according to the complaint.

The following morning they say they were driven to the airport, which raised their hopes that they were being flown back to Canada or the UK.

"But that was not the case," Eileen Connors says in the sworn statement. Instead, they were flown to Pennsylvania - on the other side of the country.

They were taken on 5 October to Berks Family Residential Center (BFRC), one of three immigration detention centres in the US that can accommodate families.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50050467
Is the baby's name John, by any chance?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 16 Oct 2019, 13:05

The plot thickens, maybe.
The CBP senior official told CNN that the group had $16,000 in cash on them when they were arrested.
A second CBP official told CNN that the two adult men in the group had previously applied to enter the US under the ESTA Visa Waiver Program, but had their applications refused in March 2018.
Having $16,000 in cash on you is not a crime, of course, but it's odd for a group of seven people to be out for a pleasure drive with $16,000 on them.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Oct 2019, 18:18

The weird part is the Canadians wouldn’t take them back.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex