Pham Nuwen

Re: If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Aug 2019, 20:49

Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 20:23
Pham Nuwen wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 12:57
Dammit....!
I thought we weren't using his real name in General Chatter, which shows up on Google.
Done.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 10 Aug 2019, 20:58

Mo wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 12:32
It’s not that crazy. It’s near term pain to reduce more significant long term pain. If there’re no actions against the employers, I would consider that theory more likely than not.
Based on the stories I've heard from my SO, who used to work in a meat packing plant, that sort of thing is par for the course. Based on my limited experience responding to calls in such places, which gave me some sense of how workers are treated in such places, it's plausible. Anecdata, but still...
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Aug 2019, 22:40

Pham Nuwen wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 20:49
Done.
Cool!
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Aug 2019, 22:42

I do not recall that being a thing btw, Eric. Is that really a thing? I mean I get it. I don't want peeps using my real name here either or on other social media. I just do not recall him asking it is all. But I trust you.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Aug 2019, 22:43

I thought we were allowed to use his name outside the veil now because he has tenure.

;)
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Aug 2019, 22:45

I don't know if I've ever explicitly discussed it, but just assume that if it is visible to Google and the poster is using a pseudonym, their real name shouldn't be used.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 11 Aug 2019, 01:06

Ah. I apologize then. I know I drop it from time to time. I will refrain from it further going forward.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 11 Aug 2019, 01:39

thoreau wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 12:55
Whichever Koch family it might be, the most important libertarian point is that going after employers of illegal immigrants would be even worse than going after illegal immigrants.
It is really quite horrifying to me how comments to make e-verify mandatory are gaining steam. It hits enough points on both sides (anti capitalist exploiters for the left, makes undocumented immigrants' lives more difficult if not impossible for the right) that my prediction is it will happen.

In the future, you are presumed guilty until proven innocent.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Aug 2019, 09:24

dead_elvis wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 01:39
thoreau wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 12:55
Whichever Koch family it might be, the most important libertarian point is that going after employers of illegal immigrants would be even worse than going after illegal immigrants.
It is really quite horrifying to me how comments to make e-verify mandatory are gaining steam. It hits enough points on both sides (anti capitalist exploiters for the left, makes undocumented immigrants' lives more difficult if not impossible for the right) that my prediction is it will happen.

In the future, you are presumed guilty until proven innocent.
I thought e-verify was already mandatory. From the Clinton era.
*wikis*
OIC. Not mandatory but really yeah mandatory.
This is interesting
Wikipedia wrote:Research shows that E-Verify harms the labor market outcomes of illegal immigrants and improves the labor market outcomes of Mexican legal immigrants and U.S.-born Hispanics, but has no impact on labor market outcomes for non-Hispanic white Americans.[4] A 2016 study suggests that E-Verify reduces the number of illegal immigrants in states that have mandated use of E-Verify for all employers, and further notes that the program may deter illegal immigration to the US in general.[5]
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Aug 2019, 14:05

Just goes to show that a narrowly tailored, smartly implemented federal program can violate basic constitutional rights without harming anyone except for the people it was specifically designed to discriminate against.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 11 Aug 2019, 14:46

Mark Morgan, acting commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection, also defended the Mississippi arrests on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday.

Morgan said they were not "raids," but "targeted law enforcement operations."
:roll:
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Aug 2019, 15:25

Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 14:05
Just goes to show that a narrowly tailored, smartly implemented federal program can violate basic constitutional rights without harming anyone except for the people it was specifically designed to discriminate against.
Basic constitutional rights? Are you suggesting that "the people" referred to in The Constitution includes non citizens?
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Aug 2019, 15:31

Warren wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 15:25
Hugh Akston wrote:
Basic constitutional rights? Are you suggesting that "the people" referred to in The Constitution includes non citizens?
I'm suggesting that the First Amendment doesn't include an exception allowing Congress to prohibit freedom of association based on legal status.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Aug 2019, 15:41

Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 15:31
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
I'm suggesting that the First Amendment doesn't include an exception allowing Congress to prohibit freedom of association based on legal status.
So convicted mob bosses have the right to run their criminal conspiracies from prison?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Aug 2019, 16:54

Warren wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 15:41
Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 15:31
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
So convicted mob bosses have the right to run their criminal conspiracies from prison?
Warren you're never gonna win an argument that way. When it's suggested that hiring someone to do a job for you shouldn't be a crime, you're supposed to compare it to pederasty, not the mob.

Mo

If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by Mo » 11 Aug 2019, 17:02

I would like Warren to point out where in the Constitution does Congress have the power to restrict who can enter the country? All I see are references to naturalization.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Aug 2019, 17:14

Mo wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 17:02
I would like Warren to point out where in the Constitution does Congress have the power to restrict who can enter the country? All I see are references to naturalization.
Come on Mo. Everybody knows we don't play by the 10th amendment.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Aug 2019, 17:34

Mo wrote:
No, I'm not Warren, but...

THE SOURCE AND SCOPE OF THE FEDERAL POWER TO REGULATE IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Aug 2019, 17:43

I mean this sounds like the court in the Chinese Exclusion case just wanted to justify a new federal power, “The Court reasoned that every national government has the inherent authority to protect the national public interest. Immigration is a matter of vital national concern. Furthermore, it is the role of the federal government to oversee matters of national concern.” It’s 19th century penumbras and emanations.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Aug 2019, 19:35

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 17:34
Mo wrote:
No, I'm not Warren, but...
And you never will be with that attitude!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR