If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

thoreau

Re: If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by thoreau » 13 Jul 2019, 23:52

Honestly, we should be outraged by the outrage.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Jul 2019, 23:54

That's not what I'm saying and you know it.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Jul 2019, 05:43

Ignoring the overdeveloped sarcasm and the prim head-shaking over the critical issue of word choice...

I mean, I know intellectually that only the most cold-blooded, self-aggrandizing creatures have a shot at high office, but seeing that prissy Jesus-freak glaring around one of those facilities, I have a moment of hoping he's actually having a human reaction and trying to keep a rein on rising shock and anger.

But it turns out his human reaction is just scrunching his nose at the smell and that he's blaming the Blues for not giving more money to expand the camps...

Man, I hope this follows him around the rest of his gray little life.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Jul 2019, 06:24

The really scary thing -- regarding Pence's photo op with prisoners in overcrowded cages -- is, that's what they're WILLING to show the world about our camps. Think how much worse it is that they're not showing.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Jul 2019, 09:37

Dangerman wrote:Have you guys seen photos of NYC jails?
Pretty sure even in NYC jails people have their own core and enough room where they can fit enough cots for everyone.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 14 Jul 2019, 09:39

No, they don't. My mom was in a holding pen with no furniture and 20-30 people for close to 36 hours after getting picked up at a protest.

ETA which is different than being held for weeks, but my point is the conditions are endemic wherever there are mass dententions.
Last edited by Dangerman on 14 Jul 2019, 09:42, edited 2 times in total.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jul 2019, 09:40

Mo wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 09:37
Dangerman wrote:Have you guys seen photos of NYC jails?
Pretty sure even in NYC jails people have their own core and enough room where they can fit enough cots for everyone.
You are?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Jul 2019, 09:52

Dangerman wrote:No, they don't. My mom was in a holding pen with no furniture and 20-30 people for close to 36 hours after getting picked up at a protest.

ETA which is different than being held for weeks, but my point is the conditions are endemic wherever there are mass dententions.
Your ETA is a huge difference. Forcing people to sleep on the floor one night and not letting them shower is shitty. Doing the same for 30-40 nights is criminal.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 14 Jul 2019, 09:58

I'll agree with criminal when it's the FedGov especially.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Jul 2019, 13:43

Eric the .5b wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 05:43
I mean, I know intellectually that only the most cold-blooded, self-aggrandizing creatures have a shot at high office, but seeing that prissy Jesus-freak glaring around one of those facilities, I have a moment of hoping he's actually having a human reaction and trying to keep a rein on rising shock and anger.

But it turns out his human reaction is just scrunching his nose at the smell and that he's blaming the Blues for not giving more money to expand the camps...

Man, I hope this follows him around the rest of his gray little life.
I'm pretty sure that Pence made a very simple deal with Trump: Pence will always show the utmost loyalty and never, ever say or do anything that might upset Trump. Whatever Trump tweets, Pence will solemnly agree with. In return, Trump will let Pence vet (or at least determine who gets to vet) judicial nominees. Trump might get final say, but he'll have final say from a pool vetted by Pence (or Pence's allies).

And I know people who said that they voted for Trump because of the Supreme Court. They want Justices who will overturn Roe, and they're prepared to sell their souls to the devil to get that. These are the only sorts of people whose opinions Pence cares about.

So, no matter what the rest of us might think of Pence, no matter how many times we trot out those pictures and make historical analogies, the people whose opinions Pence cares about will just keep saying "Gorsuch." Again and again.

And if one of the 4 liberal Justices unexpectedly has a health problem in February of 2020? These people will see it as a sign that Pence was in the place that God wanted him to be in.

If at any point Pence were to deviate from this bargain, my bet is that Trump would stop picking Federalist Society types and start nominating TV stars, former Trump Organization lawyers, etc.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Jul 2019, 14:31

thoreau wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 13:43

If at any point Pence were to deviate from this bargain, my bet is that Trump would stop picking Federalist Society types and start nominating TV stars, former Trump Organization lawyers, etc.
And I, for one, would applaud the nomination of Chief Justice Judy.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Jul 2019, 14:32

dhex wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 19:21
Ignoring the circle jerk for a moment, maybe this a serwer-esque the cruelty is the point kind of thing but holy shit what a ridiculously bad photo op moment. I get that their talking point is that all this is someone else's fault and that this might help further slow down border crossings. But still bad look overall.

Otooh pence has no base and everyone thinks he's a shitty robot so ehhh.

Someone in the internet made the point that the attempt at optics was probably deliberate, but they failed to realize that very plain looking 30 to 40 year old hispanic men don't provide the same visual to the atavistic bias impulse as a bunch of tatted up MS-13 people would - or a group of African American / African men would
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Jul 2019, 14:40

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
thoreau wrote:

I think he'd go more for Patricia DiMango from Hot Bench.
Patricia-DiMango.jpg
Patricia-DiMango.jpg (63.45 KiB) Viewed 562 times
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Jul 2019, 14:46

Yeah, but she'd never say anything nearly as entertaining as Judy. "Mr. Solicitor General, don't piss on my robes and tell me it's the trickle down effect."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Jul 2019, 15:49

I wonder how much damage the ICE raids are doing to people across the country today.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Jul 2019, 17:46

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
thoreau wrote:

Judge Judy was supposedly a racist piece of work back in her NY family court days as a judge and prosecutor.

Oh and as for the conditions being no worse than NYC jails, there’s been another outbreak of typhus in the facilities.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Jul 2019, 17:51

Mo wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:46
there’s been another outbreak of typhus in the facilities.
I am not a crazy person so I will not mention what Anne Frank died of when she was placed in a camp for minorities scapegoated by the state. Because we should not take notice of history.
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Jul 2019, 18:37

Mo wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:46

Judge Judy was supposedly a racist piece of work back in her NY family court days as a judge and prosecutor.
This is true, or at least I've read the same, nor does she have any of the requisite intellectual background I'd prefer in a serious justice; but, hey, if you're just in it for the lulz, she'd be hard to beat.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Jul 2019, 18:40

Racism would not exactly be disqualifying in a Trump appointee.
--Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 Jul 2019, 19:10

I felt very strongly that Judge Judy hates everyone. I always had that vibe. She can't be racist if she has nothing but disdain and hatred for everyone.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jul 2019, 20:20

Pham Nuwen wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:10
I felt very strongly that Judge Judy hates everyone. I always had that vibe. She can't be racist if she has nothing but disdain and hatred for everyone.
Sounds about right to me. Which is why I'd move to Argentina should she ever be appointed to the SCOTUS
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 14 Jul 2019, 21:05

Jennifer wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 16:49
My mistake, Painboy. I meant to say "History will look kindly upon these photos of Pence."
Wait did you post that tweet approvingly? My apologies, I was rolling my eyes at the tweet not you.

Oh well I guess everything is Nazis now. Carry on.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Jul 2019, 21:16

Painboy wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 21:05
Jennifer wrote:
My mistake, Painboy. I meant to say "History will look kindly upon these photos of Pence."
Wait did you post that tweet approvingly? My apologies, I was rolling my eyes at the tweet not you.

No, Jennifer and Thoreau are NOT Nazis. The rest of us are American Bund, at best.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jul 2019, 21:25

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 21:16
Painboy wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 21:05
Jennifer wrote:

No, Jennifer and Thoreau are NOT Nazis. The rest of us are American Bund, at best.
Then how come I never see you guys at the meetings?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 Jul 2019, 21:38

How far back do the purity tests go? And do people of scots-irish descent count as white? I thought we settled that question 80 years ago but sounds like we didn't.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex