If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Jennifer

Re: If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by Jennifer » 24 Jun 2019, 16:49

thoreau wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 13:31
I have some money to spend, but my elected representatives already agree with me and it doesn't matter.

All that matters is that AOC used a word that a lot of people had been using for a while (including Japanese Americans who know something about the matter...) and the world is debating terminology now instead of asking why little kids are being denied toothbrushes and diapers.
Hey, nobody here likes concentration camps, but asking us to express agreement with something said by an Ess Jay Doubleyou is going too far. For all Trump's crimes, at least he never complained about the difficulty of maintaining two separate apartments in two very expensive cities at the same time.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Jun 2019, 18:05

Ellie, don’t go. We’ll leave it limited to this thread so you don’t have to read about it.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Jun 2019, 19:57

Ellie no! I actually posted a cat picture for you only a day or two ago! Betterment! Growth(heh)! We can change baby! Come back!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 25 Jun 2019, 06:31

Ellie wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 13:11
I'm thinking I need to take a social media and maybe even Grylliade break for a while due to so many people sharing stories about little immigrant kids in detention centers. I'm glad people are talking about it and raising awareness and ire, and I hope it leads to actual change. Right now I just feel so fucking helpless; I don't have any money to send to organizations fighting this, nor the emotional fortitude to write letters or make phone calls to legislators about it. I don't believe in prayer anymore so I can't even do that. I was up what felt like half the night last night worrying about those poor children. It's turning into intrusive thoughts I can't shake. Ugh. You guys know how much I love my Facebook so you know how much this is bothering me!
Hugs.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Jun 2019, 22:23

So people are trying to donate diapers, baby wipes, etc., but the Border Patrol is refusing donations.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/06/24 ... rned-away/

Yes, the article explains why the law doesn't allow them to accept donations. I'd have a lot more concern for the law if the people who claimed to be diligently following it weren't making toddlers sleep on cold cement while soaked in urine.

Yes, yes, I'm sure somebody can explain just how deeply important this law is. You want me to give a fuck? I don't give a fuck while shit like this is going on. I'll be much more on the side of the rule of law when one of the Appropriate Authorities orders the Border Patrol to change some damn diapers. Until then, I'm going to advocate for replacing law and order with dictatorial whim...via diaper donations.

Fuck it. I don't care.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Jun 2019, 22:29

And besides, fucking PRISONS find ways to partner with do-gooder organizations of various types, and somehow they either do it by the books or at least violate the law no more than anyone else working in the "justice" system. Don't tell me that the Border Patrol couldn't find a way to be all "something something Community Partnerships" if they wanted to accept donations to make the kids more comfortable. They'd fucking find a way.

I mean, for fuck's sake, they got somebody to draft a memo saying that it's legal to torture a person. They got somebody to draft a memo saying that the President can go to war without Congressional approval and keeps troops in the field beyond the timelines in the War Powers Resolution. They got somebody to draft a memo saying that they can tap every phone in the country without a warrant. Don't fucking tell me they couldn't get somebody to draft a memo saying it's legal for a concentration camp* to accept diaper donations.

*Fuck you, I'll say that word as much as I fucking want.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Jun 2019, 22:51

They're not being cruel because they lack the supplies to do otherwise. The cruelty is the fucking point.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 Jun 2019, 00:18

Here is a list of organizations trying to help immigrants suffering at the border.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/18 ... ant-child/

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jun 2019, 01:17

thoreau wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 22:29
And besides, fucking PRISONS find ways to partner with do-gooder organizations of various types, and somehow they either do it by the books or at least violate the law no more than anyone else working in the "justice" system. Don't tell me that the Border Patrol couldn't find a way to be all "something something Community Partnerships" if they wanted to accept donations to make the kids more comfortable. They'd fucking find a way.
Considering that they are arresting people for leaving water and food as well as destroying caches of food and water when they find them, I think the evil has to be willful. I would not be surprised if they had already turned away donors attempting to provide humanitarian supplies.*

*Edit: Just read thoreau's post above the quoted one. Fuck them in the ass with splintered bamboo.

(Wasn't this administration recently condemning the Maduro regime for turning away humanitarian aid for Venezuela?)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Jun 2019, 06:25

Aresen wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 01:17
*Edit: Just read thoreau's post above the quoted one. Fuck them in the ass with splintered bamboo.
Yup.

This, along with everything else ICE has been caught doing, isn't bad organisation or bad planning, this isn't stretched resources or apathy or detached officiousness or a pattern of bias. This is malice.

Not surprising, given what we know of police culture and ICE being the Foreign Brown People Police, but it's so damn shameless.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Jun 2019, 06:43

thoreau wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 22:29

I mean, for fuck's sake, they got somebody to draft a memo saying that it's legal to torture a person. They got somebody to draft a memo saying that the President can go to war without Congressional approval and keeps troops in the field beyond the timelines in the War Powers Resolution. They got somebody to draft a memo saying that they can tap every phone in the country without a warrant. Don't fucking tell me they couldn't get somebody to draft a memo saying it's legal for a concentration camp* to accept diaper donations.

*Fuck you, I'll say that word as much as I fucking want.
Not to mention, there are organizations that send care packages to soldiers in war zones, which presumably have even higher security restrictions.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Jun 2019, 19:35

Informative but heartbreaking read, for those who can stomach it (FWIW the word "concentration camp" never appears, so you needn't waste time parsing out whether or not the term is appropriate):

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... th-warren/

At the Homestead Facility for Migrant Children, There's a Crawling Feeling of Ancient Shame: Our nation is making desperate kids into living warnings to other children, showing them they are not welcome in the United States of America.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jun 2019, 19:40

Jennifer wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 19:35
Informative but heartbreaking read, for those who can stomach it (FWIW the word "concentration camp" never appears, so you needn't waste time parsing out whether or not the term is appropriate):

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... th-warren/

At the Homestead Facility for Migrant Children, There's a Crawling Feeling of Ancient Shame: Our nation is making desperate kids into living warnings to other children, showing them they are not welcome in the United States of America.
Hey! It's ok. They'll go home and (if they live long enough) grow up to become anti-American terrorists, providing the excuse to drone them.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jun 2019, 14:00

The last surviving prosecutor at the Nuremberg trials says Trump's family separation policy is a "crime against humanity."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 85606.html

Cue the indignant semanticists who will sputter "You can't say 'crime against humanity' for anything less severe than a Nazi death camp! At worst, this is a civil infarction against suspected hominids."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Jun 2019, 14:08

None of this has happened before, nor will it happen again.

So say we all.

--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jun 2019, 14:45

The only proper lesson to learn from the Holocaust is "Never again must the Jews of mid-20th-century Europe be herded into extermination chambers which were liberated and shut down by June 1945."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Jun 2019, 14:53

It is written in the Bible that everything is new under the sun.

Of course, the Bible was written in the past so it holds no meaningful lessons for us.

Don't even get me started on Einstein and his 114 year-old theory.

--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jun 2019, 14:57

But the Bible does say "Suffer little children." And by Zod, the little children ARE suffering, in ways guaranteed to Make America Great! [Hums Star-Spangled Banner]

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Jun 2019, 15:28

I know someone who tried to tell me that we could learn a thing or two from the failures of communism. I said that's preposterous--the past has no cautionary tales!

(And thus we got everyone on grylliade to resume thinking that we can and should avoid the mistakes of the past.)

--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Jun 2019, 15:57

The lessons of the past empower us to internalize meaning so never again will we conflate victimizations. Invalid comparisons diminish our capacity for understanding and defeat attempts to achieve consensus without appeasing deplorables. The romanticism of codependency is paradoxical in its lugubriousness.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 28 Jun 2019, 16:26

This is what I'm taking about when I say a lot of the younger generation of 'libertarians' are just completely worthless.

(Tbf Petersen is not that 'young', somewhere near the border of gen x and millenial, (much closer to the latter) but nonetheless shit like this is just completely assinine)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Jun 2019, 17:24

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/26/us/m ... texas.html
“Don’t talk to her,” one agent said when a reporter saw one girl, who appeared to be 10 or 11 years old, crying uncontrollably while speaking in Spanish with a relative on a phone in a processing room. “If you ask her anything you’ll be thrown out,” the agent warned.
Do you hear something late at night?
Some kind of trouble,
Some kind of fight?
Just don't ask me what it is,
Just don't ask me what it is.
Just don't ask me what it is.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/ ... t-children
The United States is taking children away from their family unit and reclassifying them as unaccompanied children. But they were not unaccompanied children. And some of them were separated from their parents.
I think it's because I'm clumsy
I try not to talk too loud
Maybe it's because I'm crazy
I try not to act too proud.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/cl ... nts-hungry
"I started taking care of [a 5-year-old girl] in the Ice Box after they separated her from her father. I did not know either of them before that. She was very upset. The workers did nothing to try to comfort her. I tried to comfort her and she has been with me ever since. [She] sleeps on a mat with me on the concrete floor. We spend all day every day in that room. There are no activities, only crying."
They only hit until you cry,
After that you don't ask why,
You just don't argue anymore,
You just don't argue anymore,
You just don't argue anymore.

--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Jun 2019, 20:26

Kolohe wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 16:26

This is what I'm taking about when I say a lot of the younger generation of 'libertarians' are just completely worthless.

(Tbf Petersen is not that 'young', somewhere near the border of gen x and millenial, (much closer to the latter) but nonetheless shit like this is just completely assinine)
What's he responding to?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Jun 2019, 20:35

It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Jun 2019, 20:46

Snopes says the story is bullshit.
The photographs touted by InfoWars were in fact those shot by Aguirre, who posted them on his Twitter account one year prior to InfoWars’ “newly uncovering” them.

The so-called empty parking lot was in fact a roadway leading towards the Tornillo Border Patrol station, where thousands of migrant children were housed in a tent city.

“It wasn’t an empty parking lot; it’s an entrance and we [media and protesters] weren’t allowed to go past that,” Aguirre told us.

He sent us another photograph in which the roadway and the fence blocking access to the migrant camp could be seen:

Ocasio-Cortez wasn’t the first or last person to get emotional after reaching that fence. “She finally got to the fence and right beyond that road, way to the left, was the [migrant tent city] camp, and it represented something that made her emotional,” Aguirre told us. “I’ve been out there, and some people get mad, some people cry, some people pray. No one questioned her [when the photographs were posted] last year.”

Paul Joseph Watson, the InfoWars Twitter personality who helped boost the bogus “empty parking lot” story, was also key in pushing unfounded claims in April 2019 that the fire at the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris was intentionally set by Muslims.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.