If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

lunchstealer

Re: If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Jun 2019, 00:20

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 22:40
Maybe say something of your own instead of editing my posts.
I didn't see who I was quoting. It was not my intent to mock or slight.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Jun 2019, 15:19

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Jun 2019, 15:55

IIRC, the first 'concentration camps' to be called that were created by the British to 'concentrate' the Boers during the Boer War. They were more aimed at depriving the Boers of civilian support than extermination, although I believe the death rate was appalling.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Jun 2019, 16:01

Manzanar was a concentration camp.
Auschwitz was a death camp.
Not sure whether Trump's border facilities qualify for either of those terms.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Jun 2019, 16:36

Aresen wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 15:55
IIRC, the first 'concentration camps' to be called that were created by the British to 'concentrate' the Boers during the Boer War. They were more aimed at depriving the Boers of civilian support than extermination, although I believe the death rate was appalling.
That was the first widespread use of the term but it was coined for camps on Cuba during the Ten Years War.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Jun 2019, 16:52

Remember 2004, when everyone was arguing over whether Bush had actually described Iraqi WMD as an "imminent" threat? And everyone went around looking to see if that word had ever been uttered? When a search of transcripts failed to turn up the word "imminent", everyone concluded that Bush had not lied and it didn't matter that he had done everything in his power to persuade the public that there was intelligence showing that Iraqi WMD constituted some sort of threat that we needed to take very seriously and act upon at once.

Right now everyone is arguing over the best word to describe the crowded, dirty camps where large numbers of migrants are held in processes that could drag on forever, at the behest of a cruel old racist. Once we establish that the word "concentration" should not be placed before "camp", everyone will conclude that this is all perfectly fine.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Jun 2019, 17:05

thoreau wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 16:52
Right now everyone is arguing over the best word to describe the crowded, dirty camps where large numbers of migrants are held in processes that could drag on forever, at the behest of a cruel old racist. Once we establish that the word "concentration" should not be placed before "camp", everyone will conclude that this is all perfectly fine.
This. Very much so. Once we've removed the objectionable phrase, we can move on to the final solution of the immigration problem.
:P
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 19 Jun 2019, 17:40

What ever happened to the the phrase "foreseeable consequences are not unintended."

They want the deterrence but without any obligation when that policy fails. Any policy that has this failure mode needs to go.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jun 2019, 17:43

I do love how the same people who, in other contexts, will scream "Literally Communism!" at a two-percent proposed tax increase will insist that unless we're actually building and using cyanide-gas death chambers, it's not REALLY a concentration camp.

Also, "diversity" is "white genocide" but a concentration camp is not a concentration camp.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jun 2019, 03:29

"The Trump administration argued in front of a Ninth Circuit panel Tuesday that the government is not required to give soap or toothbrushes to children apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border and can have them sleep on concrete floors in frigid, overcrowded cells, despite a settlement agreement that requires detainees be kept in “safe and sanitary” facilities."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Jun 2019, 10:20

Jennifer wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 03:29
"The Trump administration argued in front of a Ninth Circuit panel Tuesday that the government is not required to give soap or toothbrushes to children apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border and can have them sleep on concrete floors in frigid, overcrowded cells, despite a settlement agreement that requires detainees be kept in “safe and sanitary” facilities."
Hey, but that settlement was under the Clinton administration, so they can disregard it. ('Lock her up')*

*It was Bill Clinton i/n/o, everyone knows Hillary was really in charge. /tinfoilhat

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Jun 2019, 10:29

Look, if you had listened to libertarians, you would have known this guy's first two pet issues marked him as an authoritarian fuckstick.
John Palmer, a former university professor, has always had a cause. For decades he urged Minnesota officials to face the dangers of drunken driving and embrace seatbelts. Now he has a new goal: curbing the resettlement of Somali refugees in St. Cloud, after a few thousand moved into this small city where Mr. Palmer has lived for decades.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/20/us/p ... trump.html
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 Jun 2019, 13:27

Ugh, go cram your hole with lutefisk, you racist piece of shit, and leave the rest of us Minnesotans alone.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Jun 2019, 22:43

https://www.newsweek.com/migrant-childr ... mp-1445313

No administration officials should face any consequences for this because all rules and standards are arbitrary and too complicated to ever apply and nothing matters.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Jun 2019, 00:30

It's only bad when other countries do it, Thoreau. Didn't you get the memo?

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Jun 2019, 03:34

At first I thought it was a joke, but turns out he was actually held hostage by Somali pirates. ICE is now officially less humane than Somali pirates.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 23 Jun 2019, 06:35

Ellie wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 13:27
go cram your hole with lutefisk.
This is beautiful.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 Jun 2019, 08:53

Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Jun 2019, 10:11

I mean they are at least shooting for a little bit of Stockholm Syndrome.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Jun 2019, 10:35

I'm just waiting for the bombing and assassination campaign in 20 years that targets our hero CBP and ICE agents. And the inevitable freakout that concentration camps might just maybe piss off people in a country that prides itself on easy access to guns and weapon components.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jun 2019, 12:42

Pham Nuwen wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 10:35
I'm just waiting for the bombing and assassination campaign in 20 years that targets our hero CBP and ICE agents. And the inevitable freakout that concentration camps might just maybe piss off people in a country that prides itself on easy access to guns and weapon components.
No, Pham. They hate us for our freedom, not for our concentration camps. Didn't you get the memo?
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Jun 2019, 14:40

Dangerman wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 08:53
Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not.
I'mana hang on to this one for a while
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 24 Jun 2019, 08:32

Cherish it, Hugh. Take good care of it for me, give it the love it deserves, the life I couldn't ever promise it

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Jun 2019, 13:11

I'm thinking I need to take a social media and maybe even Grylliade break for a while due to so many people sharing stories about little immigrant kids in detention centers. I'm glad people are talking about it and raising awareness and ire, and I hope it leads to actual change. Right now I just feel so fucking helpless; I don't have any money to send to organizations fighting this, nor the emotional fortitude to write letters or make phone calls to legislators about it. I don't believe in prayer anymore so I can't even do that. I was up what felt like half the night last night worrying about those poor children. It's turning into intrusive thoughts I can't shake. Ugh. You guys know how much I love my Facebook so you know how much this is bothering me!
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Jun 2019, 13:31

I have some money to spend, but my elected representatives already agree with me and it doesn't matter.

All that matters is that AOC used a word that a lot of people had been using for a while (including Japanese Americans who know something about the matter...) and the world is debating terminology now instead of asking why little kids are being denied toothbrushes and diapers.
--Mo