If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Jennifer

Re: If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by Jennifer » 22 May 2019, 23:53

Yet another kid died in our camps.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Jun 2019, 15:52

Our country is now officially evil enough that it is illegal to give food and water to someone literally dying of hunger and thirst.

http://time.com/5508196/no-more-deaths-migrants-border/
Four aid workers were convicted Friday on charges connected to their efforts to leave food and water for migrants in an Arizona wildlife refuge along the U.S.-Mexico border.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jun 2019, 16:07

Jennifer wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 15:52
Our country is now officially evil enough that it is illegal to give food and water to someone literally dying of hunger and thirst.

http://time.com/5508196/no-more-deaths-migrants-border/
Four aid workers were convicted Friday on charges connected to their efforts to leave food and water for migrants in an Arizona wildlife refuge along the U.S.-Mexico border.
You do know that's been going on for literally decades.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Jun 2019, 16:17

I don't think they'd been bothering to charge anyone. Just pouring out the water and destroying the food when they found it, which was still pretty damn evil.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jun 2019, 16:19

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 16:17
I don't think they'd been bothering to charge anyone. Just pouring out the water and destroying the food when they found it, which was still pretty damn evil.
I thought I remembered something from the 90's where if boarder patrol found a food and water stash on your property they'd give you a citation.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Jun 2019, 16:21

Even if that happened, that's be different from charging and convicting them in court.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jun 2019, 16:58

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 16:21
Even if that happened, that's be different from charging and convicting them in court.
So it is. But only if you pay the fine.

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Jun 2019, 18:22

Hey man, if it isn’t denying fags a wedding cake, it’s not really a religious liberty case. After all, what religions have charity as a centerpiece of their beliefs?

Oh wait, I’m being told pretty much all of them.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Jun 2019, 18:37

Mo wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 18:22
Hey man, if it isn’t denying fags a wedding cake, it’s not really a religious liberty case. After all, what religions have charity as a centerpiece of their beliefs?

Let me tell you about predestinate Calvinism.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Jun 2019, 18:40

Mo wrote:

Except Islam, of course. (Oh, sure, Muslims will say "charitable giving is one of the five pillars of our religion," just as they'll say "I oppose murder, and condemn acts of terrorism," but I've been assured it's all just taqqiya.)

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Jun 2019, 18:57

Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:

Let me tell you about predestinate Calvinism.
Hey, I was predestined to make this Adam and Steve wedding cake.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Jun 2019, 01:15

The Border Patrol is confiscating medicine from migrant kids.

https://news.yahoo.com/border-patrol-is ... 54608.html

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Jun 2019, 11:27

Jennifer wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 01:15
The Border Patrol is confiscating medicine from migrant kids.

https://news.yahoo.com/border-patrol-is ... 54608.html
Now, now, Jennifer. It just proves these aren't innocent children, but *Drug Smugglers*.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2019, 15:38

Jesus Christ, the Mexican government is like those parents that respond to their kid throwing a temper tantrum by giving the kid what they want and then rewarding them with ice cream after it all.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Jun 2019, 16:12

Mo wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 15:38
Jesus Christ, the Mexican government is like those parents that respond to their kid throwing a temper tantrum by giving the kid what they want and then rewarding them with ice cream after it all.
I would go more with an 'abused girlfriend of a trailer trash thug.' It's not as if Mexico has any ability to actually discipline Trump that doesn't make things worse for Mexico.

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2019, 17:48

Considering even the Republicans were thinking of stepping in and stopping the tariffs, they may have had a chance if they didn’t fold faster than Superman on laundry day.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Jun 2019, 07:10

Mo wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 15:38
Are they? Or are they saying 'ok we'll go out for ice cream tomorrow', the kid stops the tantrum, and then forgets.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jun 2019, 15:27

Liz Cheney & Co are taking umbrage over use of the word "concentration camps," presumably because unless we operate full-fledged extermination camps like the Nazis did, there is absolutely nothing to complain about.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jun 2019, 15:32

I like Will Wilkinson's take on it:

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jun 2019, 15:47

Or, because if you can shift the debate to semantic matters of le mot juste to describe whatever you're talking about, that keeps you too distracted to focus on the actual problem. If Liz Cheney and those of her ilk can keep everyone debating whether we should call them "detention centers" or "concentration camps," that means we WON'T be asking "Why are we doing this evil thing, and how can we stop it?"

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jun 2019, 16:03

Don't call it "evil." Whether or not it's evil depends on your value system and you are assuming a value system. Why are you forcing your values on others?

(Seriously, the right wing sounds awfully PoMo these days.)
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Jun 2019, 18:42

Jennifer wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 15:27
Liz Cheney & Co are taking umbrage over use of the word "concentration camps," presumably because unless we operate full-fledged extermination camps like the Nazis did, there is absolutely nothing to complain about.
Even though the original concentration camps were built by those pillars of humanity, the Brits, and not meant to kill anyone, just keep enemy civilians out of the way. The deaths just kinda happened through not giving a shit about the confined people, which isn't familiar or anything.

(Avoid following that Wikipedia link if you don't want to see a photograph of a starving seven-year-old who died soon after.)

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Jun 2019, 18:43

thoreau wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 16:03
(Seriously, the right wing sounds awfully PoMo these days.)
I've been saying something like that for some time. Right-wing methods of debate have been converging on the left's methods all this century.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Jun 2019, 19:15

Deleted
Last edited by lunchstealer on 19 Jun 2019, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Jun 2019, 22:40

Maybe say something of your own instead of editing my posts.