If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Mo

Re: If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by Mo » 03 Feb 2019, 10:49

I care less about class and more about the desire to live here. Less interested in using US citizenship as an insurance policy for your kleptocracy.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Feb 2019, 11:01

Mo wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 10:49
I care less about class and more about the desire to live here.
Why? What difference does it make?
Less interested in using US citizenship as an insurance policy for your kleptocracy.
I don't see how disinterest leads to "Oh no you don't".
We fucked up, so we're going to need more money. - Tuco

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Feb 2019, 12:27

Mo wrote:
I care less about class and more about the desire to live here. Less interested in using US citizenship as an insurance policy for your kleptocracy.
The real kleptocrats already have deals with the State Department or CIA or both or can just bribe their way out.

This is for the middle managers.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Feb 2019, 13:57

Kolohe wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 12:27
Mo wrote:
The real kleptocrats already have deals with the State Department or CIA or both or can just bribe their way out.

Ah I see. We're talking about state agents of kleptocracies, so there is some culpability.
I'm okay with the mid level bureaucrats coming here.

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Feb 2019, 14:30

Kolohe wrote:The real kleptocrats already have deals with the State Department or CIA or both or can just bribe their way out.

More the non-C-level execs. If those new American citizens pay their US taxes as expats, I’ll be a bit more understanding, but something tells me that will never happen unless they move over.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Feb 2019, 14:30

Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Mo wrote:

Ah I see. We're talking about state agents of kleptocracies, so there is some culpability.
Not necessarily state agents, some of them are also leaders of favored “private” businesses.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Feb 2019, 18:16

Mo wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 14:30
Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Mo wrote:

Not necessarily state agents, some of them are also leaders of favored “private” businesses.
♫ "Huawei gonna call?" ♫
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Feb 2019, 19:47

Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Mo wrote:

Eh. If those people are ever fleeing in big numbers to America with their families, it'd be to evade firing squads or camps run by some shitty (and potentially shittier-than-current) successor government. I think history has convincingly shown that if the successor government is a nice liberal democracy, those assholes tend to keep their jobs.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Feb 2019, 20:08

Eric the .5b wrote:
Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Mo wrote:

Eh. If those people are ever fleeing in big numbers to America with their families, it'd be to evade firing squads or camps run by some shitty (and potentially shittier-than-current) successor government. I think history has convincingly shown that if the successor government is a nice liberal democracy, those assholes tend to keep their jobs.
And even a large number of boring bureaucrats get to keep their jobs under an illiberal successor government. Somebody needs to make construction projects run on time for the new golden palace.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Feb 2019, 20:15

thoreau wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 20:08
Eric the .5b wrote:
Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Mo wrote:

And even a large number of boring bureaucrats get to keep their jobs under an illiberal successor government. Somebody needs to make construction projects run on time for the new golden palace.
Exactly. If people are fleeing to the US, the situation has to be dire.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Feb 2019, 20:55

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 20:15
thoreau wrote:
[/quote]

It depends whether the successor is an apparatchik who's worked his way up the system and sees no need to change it or a paranoid who wants to eliminate all rivals, real or potential.

Edit to add: The former, of course, can turn into the latter.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Feb 2019, 22:22

Aresen wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 20:55
Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 20:15
thoreau wrote:
It depends whether the successor is an apparatchik who's worked his way up the system and sees no need to change it or a paranoid who wants to eliminate all rivals, real or potential.

Edit to add: The former, of course, can turn into the latter.
[/quote]
Successor government, not a shift in administration.

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Feb 2019, 04:16

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 19:47
Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Mo wrote:

Not really. I am familiar with the same group of people in Egypt and many of them fled to Europe or the US to be able to get going without losing their large, corruption enhanced financial gains. Al lot of them are billionaires/multi-millionaires that lined the pockets of the leadership to milk the masses.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Feb 2019, 20:07

Mo wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 04:16
Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 19:47
Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Mo wrote:

Not really. I am familiar with the same group of people in Egypt and many of them fled to Europe or the US to be able to get going without losing their large, corruption enhanced financial gains. Al lot of them are billionaires/multi-millionaires that lined the pockets of the leadership to milk the masses.
Our government is pretty good at seizing assets when it wants to. If they're criminals they should answer for their crimes. Still not a reason to lock them out.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

If We Build It, they'll re-purpose it
Contractors directed by the National Guard trimmed the border fence along the southwestern end of the United States with 18-foot thickets of the military-grade concertina wire.

Thieves are now stealing that same material at night and using it in their homes or selling the razor wire to Tijuana residents who are using it as an extra layer of home security around their residences, the city’s secretary of public safety confirmed Monday.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 19 Mar 2019, 12:07

CBP should take a cue from Latin America and just put broken glass in concrete walls. Cheap, no reason to steal it, and the aesthetics are familiar to folks from south of the border.

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Apr 2019, 18:01

Someone figured out how to get the White House to care about climate change.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch ... der-crisis

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Apr 2019, 19:58

Mo wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 18:01
Someone figured out how to get the White House to care about climate change.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch ... der-crisis
You really expect Donald rump to care about something in the New Yorker? That's not even on TV.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Apr 2019, 20:08

If Hurricane Sandy couldn't get a NYC real estate developer to care about climate change, I don't know what will.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Apr 2019, 13:50

"U.S. Border Patrol agents have been accused of carrying out a string of "inhumane" abuses at an outdoor holding area for asylum seekers at the overcrowded Paso del Norte Port of Entry in El Paso, Texas, where hundreds of predominantly Central American families were forced to wait for their asylum claims to be processed over the past week.

On Monday, the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas and ACLU Border Rights Center filed a joint complaint to the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) calling "for an immediate end to the caging of immigrants in outdoor holding areas," as well as for an investigation into the treatment of asylum-seeking detainees held at the makeshift facility in El Paso.

The complaint details a series of alleged abuses reported to ACLU lawyers by former detainees at the site, now shut down, including migrant families being forced to sleep on rocky terrain for up to four nights in temperatures that dropped into the 30s, with only Mylar sheets to protect them. It also alleges that asylum seekers were forced to wake up every three hours and stand in what Texas Monthly magazine called a "sleep deprivation tactic."

“Border Patrol’s detention of people in outdoor pens, forcing families and children to sleep in the dirt for days, is just the latest cruelty inflicted on asylum seekers by this administration,” said Shaw Drake, policy counsel for the ACLU Border Rights Center."
https://www.newsweek.com/us-border-patr ... H1Jh_BOs4Q

Of course, as Trump has pointed out, asylum seekers are not people, merely "animals."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Apr 2019, 17:14

I'm tempted to say we should disband ICE by marching them all into the high desert and leaving them there.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Apr 2019, 17:26

Jennifer wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 13:50
"U.S. Border Patrol agents have been accused of carrying out a string of "inhumane" abuses at an outdoor holding area for asylum seekers at the overcrowded Paso del Norte Port of Entry in El Paso, Texas, where hundreds of predominantly Central American families were forced to wait for their asylum claims to be processed over the past week.

On Monday, the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas and ACLU Border Rights Center filed a joint complaint to the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) calling "for an immediate end to the caging of immigrants in outdoor holding areas," as well as for an investigation into the treatment of asylum-seeking detainees held at the makeshift facility in El Paso.

The complaint details a series of alleged abuses reported to ACLU lawyers by former detainees at the site, now shut down, including migrant families being forced to sleep on rocky terrain for up to four nights in temperatures that dropped into the 30s, with only Mylar sheets to protect them. It also alleges that asylum seekers were forced to wake up every three hours and stand in what Texas Monthly magazine called a "sleep deprivation tactic."

“Border Patrol’s detention of people in outdoor pens, forcing families and children to sleep in the dirt for days, is just the latest cruelty inflicted on asylum seekers by this administration,” said Shaw Drake, policy counsel for the ACLU Border Rights Center."
https://www.newsweek.com/us-border-patr ... H1Jh_BOs4Q

Of course, as Trump has pointed out, asylum seekers are not people, merely "animals."
Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 17:14
I'm tempted to say we should disband ICE by marching them all into the high desert and leaving them there.
I am really beginning to think that ICE is real-life validation of the Stanford Prison Experiment.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Apr 2019, 09:42

Eric the .5b wrote:I'm tempted to say we should disband ICE by marching them all into the high desert and leaving them there.
Specifically the Atacama.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Apr 2019, 11:18

lunchstealer wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 09:42
Eric the .5b wrote:I'm tempted to say we should disband ICE by marching them all into the high desert and leaving them there.
Specifically the Atacama.
I'd go for The Empty Quarter
wikipedia wrote:The region is classified as "hyper-arid", with annual precipitation generally less than 35 millimetres (1.4 in), and daily mean relative humidity of about 52% in January and 15% in June-July. Daily maximum temperatures average 47 °C (117 °F) in July and August, reaching peaks of 51 °C (124 °F). The daily minimum average is 12 °C (54 °F) in January and February, although frosts have been recorded. Daily extremes of temperature are considerable

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Apr 2019, 12:21

You guys aren't thinking big enough. Write this down: M-A-R-S. Mars, bitchez!
--Mo