If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Jennifer

Re: If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by Jennifer » 11 Aug 2018, 18:04

Highway wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 17:50
I know there are ridiculous bureaucracies, but why is this one so atrocious? Is it the opposite department or something? Do they just figure out how they can make themselves look as bad as possible?
I'm reminded of something Julian Sanchez wrote (tweeted) in response to some then-current ICE outrage du jour: "Who else would sign up at this point? We’ve finally succeeded at creating a government body so inherently monstrous that anyone who agrees to work for it is pretty much automatically garbage. So of course it ends up behaving horrifyingly; what else can you expect from a staff comprising exclusively shit humans? Or, if we craft something gentler NYT can quote: There’s a feedback loop. When an agency openly creates opportunities to enact strategic cruelty, it attracts the cruel."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Aug 2018, 18:49

I think the basic thing built into the system is that you should err on the side of not letting people in. It's probably not a written rule, but it's definitely a general understanding. Then toss in the election of Trump, and even in areas where his appointees haven't rewritten policy there's just a general understanding that saying "No" is what the boss REALLY wants you to do.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Aug 2018, 19:51

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Aug 2018, 13:27

Fuck it. I'm gonna say it:

I want Trump's head on a pike.

EDIT: After a trial by a tribunal under the post-Resistance government, of course.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Aug 2018, 16:18

thoreau wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 13:27
Fuck it. I'm gonna say it:

I want Trump's head on a pike.

EDIT: After a trial by a tribunal under the post-Resistance government, of course.
I believe Kathy Griffin beat you to it.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Aug 2018, 17:59

My ideal solution would be for Trump to die in a helicopter accident in the 1980s.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Aug 2018, 22:36

lunchstealer wrote:My ideal solution would be for Trump to die in a helicopter accident in the 1980s.
I am told that there's a thing called Helicopter Twitter...
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Aug 2018, 04:51

I dunno, that would probably end up with some helicopter pilot dying too,

I'm thinking hair gel ignition.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Aug 2018, 10:24

Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 04:51
I dunno, that would probably end up with some helicopter pilot dying too,

I'm thinking hair gel ignition.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Sep 2018, 05:07

Despite Trump's best efforts, I still don't feel bad for Jeff Sessions.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1LZ2TG
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 Sep 2018, 09:37

Mo wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 05:07

I've been thinking more and more that this is really just a PUA neg game. It worked on Lindsey Graham, after all.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Sep 2018, 10:37

Kolohe wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 09:37
Mo wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 05:07

I've been thinking more and more that this is really just a PUA neg game. It worked on Lindsey Graham, after all.
That's his thing alright.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Sep 2018, 16:29

Walls are so great that Trump told the Spanish foreign minister to build one in the Sahara.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/20/politics ... index.html

Never mind that (1) the Sahara is big, (2) Spain doesn't control any of it, aside from a few coastal enclaves, and (3) it would never work.
--Shem

JD

Post by JD » 20 Sep 2018, 17:04

thoreau wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 16:29
Walls are so great that Trump told the Spanish foreign minister to build one in the Sahara.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/20/politics ... index.html

Never mind that (1) the Sahara is big, (2) Spain doesn't control any of it, aside from a few coastal enclaves
Technically those would be called exclaves, or semi-enclaves, because they're outside of Spain proper but not completely enclosed by any foreign territory.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Oct 2018, 05:37

Articles like this piss me off. It's great that people are open and supportive of local immigrants, but they don't give two shits about supporting politicians that would screw said immigrants over and are terrified of those policies being enforced.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a ... alifornia/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Oct 2018, 08:02

Mo wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 05:37
Articles like this piss me off. It's great that people are open and supportive of local immigrants, but they don't give two shits about supporting politicians that would screw said immigrants over and are terrified of those policies being enforced.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a ... alifornia/
Yeah, you have to wonder what abstract policy positions are so important that they will continue to vote for someone who actively pushes policies that would "Destroy our farms, destroy our lives." And not if it was changed. More just if the Eye of Sauron points in their direction.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Oct 2018, 09:26

He fights and makes liberal tears.

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Oct 2018, 11:16

Yeah, that's pretty much all I can come up with. But as usual, it seems a steep price to pay to "own the libs".
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Oct 2018, 11:48

sports bar ist krieg
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Oct 2018, 17:26

Migrant Children Moved Under Cover of Darkness to a Texas Tent City
In shelters from Kansas to New York, hundreds of migrant children have been roused in the middle of the night in recent weeks and loaded onto buses with backpacks and snacks for a cross-country journey to their new home: a barren tent city on a sprawling patch of desert in West Texas.

Until now, most undocumented children being held by federal immigration authorities had been housed in private foster homes or shelters, sleeping two or three to a room. They received formal schooling and regular visits with legal representatives assigned to their immigration cases.

But in the rows of sand-colored tents in Tornillo, Tex., children in groups of 20, separated by gender, sleep lined up in bunks. There is no school: The children are given workbooks that they have no obligation to complete. Access to legal services is limited. ... Several shelter workers, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of being fired, described what they said has become standard practice for moving the children: In order to avoid escape attempts, the moves are carried out late at night because children will be less likely to try to run away. For the same reason, children are generally given little advance warning that they will be moved.....