If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Jennifer

Re: If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by Jennifer » 07 Sep 2019, 21:42

Jennifer wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 17:56
In addition to vaccinations, basic medical care, beds, soap and toothpaste, inmates in our diffusion camps are also denied sanitary products to the point where women in the camps are visibly bleeding through their pants and underwear.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/migrant- ... vZgTC3c-Ow
Also, turns out menstruating on a prison uniform is justification for ICE to punish women by putting them in solitary confinement.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ts/597433/
Contraband sugar packets, calling a border guard a “redneck,” menstruating on a prison uniform, kissing another detainee, identifying as gay, requesting an ankle brace—these are just some of the reasons Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials have placed detained immigrants in solitary confinement.

ICE and Department of Homeland Security documents obtained by The Atlantic provide one of the clearest snapshots to date of what immigrant-rights advocates say is the agency’s excessive, arbitrary, and punitive use of this form of isolation....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Sep 2019, 02:33

So, apparently, the old rule used to be that people of the Bahamas did not require visas to enter the US, only their passport and copy of their police report showing they're not criminals. Then came Hurricane Dorian, and Bahamians evacuating on a ferry to the US learned mid-voyage that the US changed the rules.

And here is Trump justifying it on the grounds that Bahamians are gang members, drug dealers and bad people.

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Sep 2019, 04:33

The man has no standards.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Sep 2019, 04:52

Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 04:33
Nor ethics nor morals nor the slightest hint of anything remotely resembling a conscience. And the same holds true for anyone who still supports him.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Sep 2019, 05:25

Jennifer wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 04:52
Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 04:33
Nor ethics nor morals nor the slightest hint of anything remotely resembling a conscience. And the same holds true for anyone who still supports him.
Oh I don't doubt some people do, thanks to partitioning and denial.

But for him, this is a reptilian lack of.... No, that's wrong, many reptiles care for and protect their young, and they won't give you any trouble unless you make them feel threatened. This outright, active malevolence is perfectly human, it's just breathtakingly sociopathic.

It's of a piece with a story I read about him looking over the construction site if one of his hotels or apartments, and he noticed the Braille signage by the elevators. "What's are those bumps?" he said, and when it was explained, he said, "Take those out, we won't have any blind people staying here."

(I imagine some sort of giant alligator with enhanced intelligence swapped out for Trump. He'd ask, "Will Bahamians hurt Barron?" and, upon being told no, would let Barron out of the protective shelter of his jaws and have no problem. Then, he'd go flop out on the Rose Garden to sun for several hours. Maybe have a pleasant conversation with Melania if she wandered by. It's be like Dave with a giant alligator who was nicer and a better president than Trump.)

(Wouldn't work, though. Nobody would think Trump would go out in public comfortably displaying his baldness.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Sep 2019, 17:21

Immigration Judge V. Stuart Couch, to a 2-year-old child: “I have a very big dog in my office, and if you don’t be quiet, he will come out and bite you!”

Instead of being fired, Couch was promoted, to the Board that has final say on who gets deported.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 11 Sep 2019, 07:13

Damn.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 11 Sep 2019, 13:34

Damn fine avatar, tuco.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 12 Sep 2019, 07:24

It's like you know me better'n I know myself.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Sep 2019, 19:56

Cali bans private prisons, including ICE detention centers.

The private prisons angle is a joke of course (Blues can stop worrying about the justice system, now!), but including ICE detention centers in that is a shot across the frickin' bow. The four affected facilities are a significant part of the whole; ICE only has fifteen adult facilities in the country.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 13 Sep 2019, 11:26

Eric the .5b wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 19:56
Cali bans private prisons, including ICE detention centers.

The private prisons angle is a joke of course (Blues can stop worrying about the justice system, now!), but including ICE detention centers in that is a shot across the frickin' bow. The four affected facilities are a significant part of the whole; ICE only has fifteen adult facilities in the country.
I wish there were a little more detail about how exactly that will work, but it's the Guardian, so... yeah. Because there's a kinda relevant Supreme Court case on the issue. The article mentions something about how the cities are contracting with a private prison company who in turn contracts with ICE, so perhaps that's the way California can get around it.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Sep 2019, 11:50

Pretty sure I know what the Feds' response is going to be:

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman