The Abortion Thread

Jennifer

Re: The Abortion Thread

Post by Jennifer »

Missouri lawmaker wants police officers to stop women from getting abortions

Mike Moon introduced bill that would redefine fertilized egg as a person and effectively turn any attempt to terminate a pregnancy into murder

A Missouri state representative who once beheaded a chicken on Facebook to make a point about abortion wants police officers to stop women from terminating pregnancies.

Mike Moon, a Republican Missouri state representative, introduced a bill he calls the Right to Due Process Act, which redefines a fertilized egg as a person with all the constitutional rights of any other citizen. The suggested law then requires police and the courts to “affirmatively enforce” the Missouri constitution’s due process clause which guarantees legal rights to people, effectively turning any attempt to terminate a pregnancy into murder.

Moon also filed a bill to “abolish” abortion in Missouri, and specifically cites “murder by abortion”. The law makes no exemptions for rape, incest or apparently for women who have pregnancies which are not viable and potentially fatal, since the proposals strike references to abortion exemptions for maternal health.

Despite multiple calls to his office, Moon’s legislative assistant said he was not available for comment.

His bill did not lay out how, exactly, law enforcement would “affirmatively enforce” such a provision....
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... 61llDwOeek

In fairness to Moon, nobody who wants the state to ban abortion ever seems willing to lay out how, exactly, they propose such a law would be enforced.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Florida passes a bill requiring girls under 18 to get parental consent before getting an abortion. Which sounds nicer that "Florida to allow parents to force their daughters into teenage motherhood and utterly wreck their lives."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fl ... aF1RkwkFUw
The bill has a provision that will allow a girl to ask a judge for a waiver from the law in cases of abuse, incest or when involving a parent could cause more harm than allowing the procedure. But opponents argued that asking minors to negotiate the legal system when they are already scared and ashamed could drive them to illegal abortions.

“We are codifying into law that someone else can force a girl to have a child she does not want to have,” Democratic Rep. Susan Valdes said. “I worry that many girls will, when deprived access to a safe termination of pregnancy, take the risks of finding an unsafe, dangerous and untested method of terminating their pregnancies.”
The forced birthers would call this a feature rather than a bug.

On Facebook the other day, the Cato libertarian page had an abortion article. Unsurprisingly, for all the many libertarians arguing "she can CHOOSE not to have sex" and whatnot, not one even TRIED answering my questions regarding how, exactly, they'd propose actually implementing an abortion ban without civil rights violations?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

In response to covid-19, Ohio orders a halt to "non-essential" abortions.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... a=taps_top
Clinics that provide abortion services in Ohio suddenly find themselves thrust in the middle of an argument with state authorities about whether the procedure should be considered essential. It’s the first view of a battle that could quickly go national amid disagreements about what constitutes essential care at a time when authorities are calling on hospitals to suspend anything that is not crucial to focus all resources on combating the new coronavirus.

Ohio’s attorney general, Dave Yost, ordered several clinics to stop all “nonessential” surgical abortions, defined as any “that can be delayed without undue risk to the current or future health of a patient.” The order applies to all clinics in the state.

The operator of one of the clinics that was targeted by Yost insisted it can fully comply with the order while continuing providing abortions. “Under that order, Planned Parenthood can still continue providing essential procedures, including surgical abortion, and our health centers continue to offer other health care services that our patients depend on. Our doors remain open for this care,” said a joint statement from Iris E. Harvey and Kersha Deibel, respectively presidents and CEO of Planned Parenthood of Greater Ohio and Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio Region.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Texas has also banned abortions for the duration.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-gove ... -outbreak/

Of course, being pregnant puts one a higher risk of dying of covid-19, but if these wretched people gave a rat's ass about women's health, they wouldn't be banning abortion in the first place.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jennifer wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 18:15

Of course, being pregnant puts one a higher risk of dying of covid-19, but if these wretched people gave a rat's ass about women's health, they wouldn't be banning abortion in the first place.
If anything, they'd be requiring the termination of all pregnancies and freeing up a great deal of hospital resources.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 20:18
Jennifer wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 18:15

If anything, they'd be requiring the termination of all pregnancies and freeing up a great deal of hospital resources.
FWIW, the lieutenant governor of Texas also told Fox News that we shouldn't shut down the economy to save the elderly and other vulnerable people. IOW, pregnant women aren't the only Texans whom the state government hopes will drop dead.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Did he mention anything about paraplegics?

Asking for a governor.

nicole

Post by nicole »

This is all incredibly disturbing (but I wish I felt like it was surprising) https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/us/p ... gen-z.html
“A lot of the language I heard was about protecting Roe v. Wade,” Ms. Baker, 26, said. “It felt grounded in the ’70s feminist movement. And it felt like, I can’t focus on abortion access if my people are dying. The narrative around abortion access wasn’t made for people from the hood.”
“It’s not that young people don’t care about abortion, it’s that they don’t think it applies to them,” she said. Language about “protecting Roe” feels “antiquated,” she added. “If I’m a high school student who got activated by March for Our Lives, I’m not hip to Supreme Court cases that happened before my time.”

Her question, as she kept her eyes on the court, was: “How can we reframe it so it feels like a young woman’s fight?”
“Myself and other activists in my community are focused on issues that feel like immediate life or death, like the environment,” said Kaitlin Ahern, 19, who was raised in Scranton, Pa., in a community where air quality was low because of proximity to a landfill. “It’s easier to disassociate from abortion rights.”
And even as those decisions move through the courts, the possibility of a future without legal abortion can feel implausible. “I know we have a lot to lose, but it’s hard to imagine us going backward,” said Alliyah Logan, 18, a recent high school graduate from the Bronx. “Is it possible to go that far back?”
Some millennial women who can easily and safely get abortions do not connect the experience to their political activism. Cynthia Gutierrez, 30, a community organizer in California, got a medication abortion in 2013. Because she did not struggle with medical access or insurance, the experience did not immediately propel her toward advocacy.

“I had no idea about the political landscape around it,” she said. “I had no idea that other people had challenges with access or finding a clinic or being able to afford an abortion.”

Around that time, Ms. Gutierrez began working at a criminal justice reform organization. “I wasn’t thinking, let me go to the next pro-choice rally,” she said. “The racial justice and criminal justice work I did felt more relevant because I had people in my life who had gone through the prison industrial complex, and I experienced discrimination.”

Other young women said they felt less drawn to reproductive rights messaging that is focused strictly on legal abortion access, and more drawn to messaging about racial and socioeconomic disparities in access to abortion, widely referred to as reproductive justice.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

What's disturbing exactly?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Other young women said they felt less drawn to reproductive rights messaging that is focused strictly on legal abortion access, and more drawn to messaging about racial and socioeconomic disparities in access to abortion, widely referred to as reproductive justice.
Well, if that plays out the way most Social Justice agendas go, the only solution will be fewer abortions for the privileged until we reach the American utopia of "abortions for some, tiny American flags for others."

nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 11:31
What's disturbing exactly?
That they're more concerned with enabling as much suffering as possible (e.g., by considering the environment an immediate life or death issue but not considering abortion the solution) than they are with making sure pregnancy-vulnerable people can avoid ruining their own lives and the lives of others. And it's presented as being part of a pattern where young pregnancy-vulnerable people are somehow not being taught that they are the pregnancy-vulnerable ones. Almost like that's being covered up by a bunch of other contemporary activist agendas.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

This is the part I found baffling -- specifically, that such a comment comes from someone with the presumed perspective "As a non-white American person, me and my fellow non-mayonnaise folk have far more pressing matters to worry about, like racist police and the like":
“It’s not that young people don’t care about abortion, it’s that they don’t think it applies to them,” she said. Language about “protecting Roe” feels “antiquated,” she added. “If I’m a high school student who got activated by March for Our Lives, I’m not hip to Supreme Court cases that happened before my time.”

Her question, as she kept her eyes on the court, was: “How can we reframe it so it feels like a young woman’s fight?”
The civil rights act, voting rights act, and other laws killing Jim Crow were all before MY time, let alone people with 21st-century birthdates, yet I would be absolutely baffled by any racial-justice advocate saying "it's not that young people don't care about legal racial discrimination, it's that they don't think it applies to them. Language about protecting "Brown v. Board of Education" feels antiquated to high school students, and even if they care about racial bias they're not hip to laws that happened before their time."