The Abortion Thread

nicole

Re: The Abortion Thread

Post by nicole » 13 Feb 2017, 18:33

My favorite part is that he said his initial intention was to get fathers to pay child support from conception, but that part was excised from the bill.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Feb 2017, 18:39

nicole wrote:My favorite part is that he said his initial intention was to get fathers to pay child support from conception, but that part was excised from the bill.
Of course it was. The motivation of Humphrey and those of his ilk have far less to do with protecting any real or theoretical children than with making sure women who have sex lives suffer for their sins.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Feb 2017, 00:39

R.I.P. Norma McCorvey, aka "Jane Roe," 69.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Feb 2017, 01:11

But a year later, she was baptized before network TV cameras by a most improbable mentor: The Rev. Philip "Flip" Benham, leader of Operation Rescue, now known as Operation Save America. McCorvey joined the cause and staff of Benham, who had befriended her when the anti-abortion group moved next door to the clinic where she was working.

McCorvey also said her religious conversion led her to give up her lover, Connie Gonzales. She said the relationship turned platonic in the early 1990s and that once she became a Christian she believed homosexuality was wrong.
Blecch. For all the stupid mistakes she made in her youth, sounds like she was a much nicer person before she became an evangelical.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 19 Feb 2017, 03:22

Jennifer wrote:
But a year later, she was baptized before network TV cameras by a most improbable mentor: The Rev. Philip "Flip" Benham, leader of Operation Rescue, now known as Operation Save America. McCorvey joined the cause and staff of Benham, who had befriended her when the anti-abortion group moved next door to the clinic where she was working.

McCorvey also said her religious conversion led her to give up her lover, Connie Gonzales. She said the relationship turned platonic in the early 1990s and that once she became a Christian she believed homosexuality was wrong.
Blecch. For all the stupid mistakes she made in her youth, sounds like she was a much nicer person before she became an evangelical.
I'm sure there are people who become nicer after religious conversion, but my experience has been that people who are nice after were nice before, and frequently people go the other way. Most often, though, the assholes or obsessives were assholes or obsessives before.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Feb 2017, 03:36

Sandy wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

I'm sure there are people who become nicer after religious conversion, but my experience has been that people who are nice after were nice before, and frequently people go the other way. Most often, though, the assholes or obsessives were assholes or obsessives before.
She clearly had no problem with homosexuality until some religious bigot convinced her that God wanted her to (I'm guessing it helped that she was at an age where her sex drive was likely to be in decline anyway).

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 19 Feb 2017, 11:02

Jennifer wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

She clearly had no problem with homosexuality until some religious bigot convinced her that God wanted her to (I'm guessing it helped that she was at an age where her sex drive was likely to be in decline anyway).
Yeah, she was one to go the other way. I just know lots of people who go from one extreme to the other.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Jun 2017, 16:23

Greg Abbott just signed this bill:
the Texas House tentatively passed a package anti-choice bill that would force health providers to bury or cremate fetal tissue following an abortion and bar the safest type of second trimester abortion.

It now inches closer to Gov. Greg Abbott’s desk.

Senate Bill 8, carried in the House by Rep. Cindy Burkett, R-Sunnyvale, also bans the donation of fetal tissue from abortion to medical research and redundantly outlaws a procedure anti-choice politicians refer to as “partial birth abortion.” The procedure refers to intact dilation and extraction (D&X), barred by the Supreme Court in 2007. After six hours of intense debate on Friday, May 19, the House advanced the broad measure with a 96-47 vote.

An amendment by Rep. Stephanie Klick, R-Ft. Worth, transformed the already harsh anti-choice bill into an even more punitive version. Klick successfully added language that bans so-called “dismemberment abortions” – the non-medical term used by anti-choice advocates to describe dilation and evacuation (D&E), one of the most common and safest types of abortion a woman can undergo during the second trimester. House Republicans spared women compassion by voting down an amendment by Rep. Jessica Farrar, D-Houston, that would have made an exception if the mother's life is in jeopardy and one by Rep. Chris Turner, D-Grand Prairie, that sought to carve out exceptions for survivors of rape and incest. In fact, Klick encouraged her House colleagues to vote against those measure.
https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/n ... kage-bill/
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Jun 2017, 16:46

nicole wrote:Greg Abbott just signed this bill:
An amendment by Rep. Stephanie Klick, R-Ft. Worth, transformed the already harsh anti-choice bill into an even more punitive version. Klick successfully added language that bans so-called “dismemberment abortions” – the non-medical term used by anti-choice advocates to describe dilation and evacuation (D&E), one of the most common and safest types of abortion a woman can undergo during the second trimester. House Republicans spared women compassion by voting down an amendment by Rep. Jessica Farrar, D-Houston, that would have made an exception if the mother's life is in jeopardy and one by Rep. Chris Turner, D-Grand Prairie, that sought to carve out exceptions for survivors of rape and incest. In fact, Klick encouraged her House colleagues to vote against those measure.
https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/n ... kage-bill/
Yep. That's the way to ensure Team Blue continues to capture the plurality of women voters.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Jun 2017, 18:47

And people wonder why I'm so skeptical of anti-choicers who insist "We are not trying to deny any rights to pregnant women, and how dare you suggest otherwise? How can you even suggest 'denying rights to pregnant women' might be an unfortunate side effect of our preferred outcome? We just love da babeez, that's all!"

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Jul 2017, 18:21

Two anti-abortionists held a press conference in Alabama blasting a court decision to allow a 12-year-old rape victim to get an abortion. They argued that 12 is too young to make such a decision (though presumably, not too young to deal with pregnancy, labor and motherhood).

Bonus evil points: the court decision specifically was to override the law requiring parental consent for a minor to get an abortion. It was one of her own male relatives who raped her, though the court wouldn't specify which one.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index ... g_all.html

I know forced birthers like to insist that they're not trying to take rights away from pregnant women and girls, but I've yet to see even one explain how they proposing forcing someone to remain pregnant and give birth against her will without trammeling her rights in the process.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 22 Jul 2017, 11:55

I love this part: ""She probably has trouble deciding what shirt to wear to school," Mullins said.

A 12 year old who is being repeatedly raped by an adult relative has much bigger problems than what shirt to wear to school. They want to focus on how immature she is and how she clearly couldn't possibly have made this medical decision thoughtfully, she's just a dumb kid.

But she should totally, definitely go through with having the baby.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Jul 2017, 17:42

Rachel wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 11:55
I love this part: ""She probably has trouble deciding what shirt to wear to school," Mullins said.

A 12 year old who is being repeatedly raped by an adult relative has much bigger problems than what shirt to wear to school. They want to focus on how immature she is and how she clearly couldn't possibly have made this medical decision thoughtfully, she's just a dumb kid.

Also fuck you asshole I have trouble deciding what to wear when I have options. That's why I just wear Captain America t-shirts all the time now.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Jul 2017, 17:46

Rachel wrote:

I also love how the guy was crying crocodile tears about how this poor girl has been abused all her life (which indeed she has), at the exact same press conference where he adds to this abuse by calling her a murderer.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 22 Jul 2017, 17:52

Rachel wrote:
They want to focus on how immature she is and how she clearly couldn't possibly have made this medical decision thoughtfully, she's just a dumb kid.
Looks like a comma splice to me.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Jul 2017, 18:04

thoreau wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 17:52
Rachel wrote:
They want to focus on how immature she is and how she clearly couldn't possibly have made this medical decision thoughtfully, she's just a dumb kid.
Looks like a comma splice to me.
If Rachel got pregnant, I'm sure Mullins would leap on that as an excuse to deny her an abortion if she wanted one: "If you can't even choose between punctuation options, how can you possibly be smart enough to choose an abortion? Better to be forced into motherhood instead."

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Jul 2017, 19:54

Couldn't someone take all that handmaid tale money and like pay someone to rape Mullins?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Jul 2017, 21:33

Rachel wrote:
I love this part: ""She probably has trouble deciding what shirt to wear to school," Mullins said..
This guy needs punching.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 22 Jul 2017, 21:58

Jesus Christ. Sometimes you forget how OFFS the real OFFS stuff is.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 23 Jul 2017, 10:10

Here is a more "feel good" abortion article (if there is such a thing):
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/20/opin ... -them.html

And it reminded me to donate to The National Network of Abortion Funds because they actually need the money way more than Planned Parenthood does. If you're in a rural, poor area and need an abortion, they'd probably be the people to help you get an actual abortion, not Planned Parenthood.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jul 2017, 11:33

You started a sentence with "and."

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 23 Jul 2017, 11:44

thoreau wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 11:33
You started a sentence with "and."

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I love you Thoreau; here's a semicolon.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jul 2017, 12:07

Awwww!!!

:P :P :P :P :P :P
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Oct 2017, 18:01

A "pro-life" congressman who had an affair with a woman half his age encouraged his girlfriend to get an abortion when he thought she was pregnant earlier this year.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... o_get.html
According to documents obtained by the Post-Gazette, Shannon Edwards—a Pittsburgh woman exactly half Murphy’s age with whom he recently admitted to having an extramarital affair—texted Murphy in January about a possible pregnancy that turned out to be just a scare. “You have zero issue posting your pro-life stance all over the place when you had no issue asking me to abort our unborn child just last week when we thought that was one of the options,” she said, referring to a post from Murphy’s professional Facebook account that accused America of “discarding and disregarding the most vulnerable” for allowing abortions past 20 weeks’ gestation.

“I get what you say about my March for life messages,” Murphy responded. “I’ve never written them. Staff does them. I read them and winced. I told staff don't write any more. I will.”

Wow! That right there is a Family Research Council–approved “pro-life” congressman implying that he doesn’t truly believe in the anti-abortion schlock his office disseminates. This is a guy who has advocated for the U.S. government to define life as beginning at conception, which would outlaw some forms of birth control and force every woman to birth any conceived fetus against her will. The guy who suggested that his girlfriend abort a fetus he (hypothetically) helped conceive is trying like hell to keep every other woman from accessing that same right. In fact, Murphy is a current sponsor of the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, a bill that would ban abortion care provided after 20 weeks’ gestation, defying the protections enshrined by Roe v. Wade. The House is set to vote on the bill on Tuesday.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Oct 2017, 23:36

Technically this belongs in the schadenfreude thread, but I'll post it here since it relates directly to my most recent comment: the married "pro-life" Congressman who urged his girlfriend to get an abortion has resigned.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... ar-AAsV0Le