The Abortion Thread

lunchstealer

Re: The Abortion Thread

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Mar 2018, 13:46

Warren wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 12:48
lunchstealer wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 12:05
They are obligated to report a crime if they find out about it. Therapists and other mental health providers typically tell you this at the beginning of treatment.

This is more like questions about whether patients have guns in the house, but I don't know of any requirements that those results be reported to the feds or to state governments.
Agree. I can see a bright line between crime and everything else.
And even then I think it's ongoing or potentially repeatable. Reporting of stuff in the distant past is maybe not required. At least this is what I've taken away from the disclaimer I got when I started therapy.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Mar 2018, 13:57

Right. That’s why I lie to doctors all the time. But not about my abortion history.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Mar 2018, 14:16

nicole wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 13:57
Right. That’s why I lie to doctors all the time. But not about my abortion history.
So just the child abuse and assault then?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Apr 2018, 14:14

Jennifer wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 14:33
Kevin Williamson thinks abortion should be treated as premeditated homicide, and women who get abortions should be hanged.

Calling for a quarter of all American women to be executed is not misogynistic, though. Of course not. It's proof of Williamson's deep and abiding respect for life.

https://rewire.news/article/2014/09/30/ ... abortions/
Williamson has been fired.

I found this whole episode bizarre, because to me, Williamson is basically known for thinking women who get abortions should be hanged.

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Apr 2018, 14:21

What'd he write, one column?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Apr 2018, 14:55

nicole wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 14:14
Jennifer wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 14:33
Kevin Williamson thinks abortion should be treated as premeditated homicide, and women who get abortions should be hanged.

Calling for a quarter of all American women to be executed is not misogynistic, though. Of course not. It's proof of Williamson's deep and abiding respect for life.

https://rewire.news/article/2014/09/30/ ... abortions/
Williamson has been fired.

I found this whole episode bizarre, because to me, Williamson is basically known for thinking women who get abortions should be hanged.
One of the most facepalmy aspects for me was Atlanticans trying to defend Williamson on the grounds that hey, at least he didn't write a whole book calling for the state murder of women who had abortions; he "only" said this in a tweet or on someone's podcast or whatever. So, y'know, NBD amirite?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 05 Apr 2018, 16:52

Williamson is a great writer, but beyond that, everything I have read from him is just trolling. I guess that makes him the perfect op-ed writer though.

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Apr 2018, 16:57

Yeah that's kinda the thing isn't it

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2018, 20:39

Highway wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 14:21
What'd he write, one column?
Yeah, but it was about libertarianism so
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Apr 2018, 20:44

I think conservatives fail to recognize that by abandoning all media left of The Weekly Standard, places like The Atlantic are more reliant on their liberal readership and will lean that way. Instead, they will validate their bubble. Also, this is hilarious. It's obvious who hasn't read the WSJ in nearly a decade.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Apr 2018, 08:25

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Apr 2018, 14:57

A hardcore forced-birther is also a white supremacist. Not surprising; not all forced-birthers are white supremacists, but pretty much all white supremacists I've seen are forced-birthers. Apparently, the notion "Let's deny human rights to people solely based on how they were born" applies to people both the wrong gender as well as the wrong color.
Anti-abortion groups are distancing themselves from a prominent writer, activist and thought leader in the movement who has leaned into white nationalism since Donald Trump’s election.

Kristen Walker Hatten, former vice president of the anti-abortion group New Wave Feminists and a contributor to The Dallas Morning News, has spoken at universities and events around the country about the need for mainstream feminism to embrace women who oppose abortion rights. She has written articles for Live Action News, the organization behind the heavily edited “sting” videos that inspired Republicans in Congress to investigate Planned Parenthood, and gained media attention in early 2017 when New Wave Feminists was ousted from a partnership with the Women’s March....
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kr ... mg00000004
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Apr 2018, 15:10

I was just reading that. I thought it was interesting as a story about friends in the Trump era falling out because one of them becomes a white nationalist, since that's apparently a thing that happens now.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Apr 2018, 15:15

nicole wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 15:10
I was just reading that. I thought it was interesting as a story about friends in the Trump era falling out because one of them becomes a white nationalist, since that's apparently a thing that happens now.
The extra-facepalmy (though utterly unsurprising, if you consider it for more than a couple of nanoseconds) aspect is how very many of these white supremacists feel genuinely oppressed to find themselves losing friends and family members just because they openly advocate the oppression or outright murder of people based solely on their race or ethnicity.

Though, again, not surprising: if they were capable of empathy, they likely wouldn't be white supremacists in the first place.

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Apr 2018, 11:19

This is a long way off from "abortion should be treated like murder" to "abortion should be treated like a mid-level drug crime".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 26 Apr 2018, 15:07

Oh my god, what a monster. :roll:
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Apr 2018, 22:06

Mo wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 11:19
This is a long way off from "abortion should be treated like murder" to "abortion should be treated like a mid-level drug crime".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
It's true that European countries restrict abortions more than the U.S. I think Canada is the only place with laxer laws. I think maybe the argument that a late term abortion should be restricted as the fetus is much more like a baby at that point has merit. That said, I don't entertain such restrictions because I don't trust anti-abortion activists not to sue the hell out of everyone who decides on a late term abortion out of medical necessity. If anti-abortion types stop being cockholes for the next fifty years, I might believe them enough to listen to them.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Apr 2018, 22:07

"Rabbis want Kansas state Sen. Steve Fitzgerald to stop citing the Nazis and Holocaust in his anti-abortion arguments. And so does the Kansas Republican Party."

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 May 2018, 22:36

You have to love the supposed “1st amendment absolutists” on the right that believe that think the abortion gag rule is ok, but banning gay conversion therapy is an affront.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 May 2018, 19:44

Pregnancy, entered into willingly, is an act of generosity, a commitment to share the resources of life with another incipient being. Such generosity is in no other circumstances required by law. No matter how much you need a kidney donation, the law will not force another person to give you one. Consent, in the form of a donor card, is required even to remove organs from a dead body. If the foetus is a person, it is a person with a vastly expanded set of legal rights, rights available to no other class of citizen: the foetus may make free, non-consensual use of another living person’s uterus and blood supply, and cause permanent, unwanted changes to another person’s body. In the relationship between foetus and woman, the woman is granted fewer rights than a corpse. But it’s possible that the ban on abortion has less to do with the rights of the unborn child than with the threat to social order represented by women in control of their reproductive lives.
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n10/sally-roo ... sh-problem

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 May 2018, 09:35

#HometoVote is legit making me tear up

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 May 2018, 12:22

nicole wrote:
25 May 2018, 09:35
#HometoVote is legit making me tear up
I hope they manage to vote down that evil ban.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 25 May 2018, 15:00

It is still surprising how shockingly quick and complete the destruction of the RCC's moral authority in Ireland was. They did a lot of the same stuff everywhere, but there wasn't that big of a shift. I take it to be due to their near Monopoly on religion combined with a vast increase in living standards in Ireland in recent years (and the attendant better education and reasoning skills that come with and precede such an increase). I don't see this happening in Poland or Latin America any time soon.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 May 2018, 15:07

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
25 May 2018, 15:00
It is still surprising how shockingly quick and complete the destruction of the RCC's moral authority in Ireland was. They did a lot of the same stuff everywhere, but there wasn't that big of a shift. I take it to be due to their near Monopoly on religion combined with a vast increase in living standards in Ireland in recent years (and the attendant better education and reasoning skills that come with and precede such an increase). I don't see this happening in Poland or Latin America any time soon.
I wonder if some of it might also be due to Ireland's extremely close proximity to far more modern nations (namely, the UK)? The article I linked mentions that for all practical purposes, the "only" women affected by Ireland's abortion ban are those too poor to go to the UK for one. By contrast, Latin American countries are only close to other Latin American countries, and Poland is stuck between Russia and the eastern part of Germany (which I gather STILL has not recovered from the social or economic damage of Communism -- it's basically the Mississippi of Germany).

Also, far-right politics are gaining alarming popularity in Poland, too. If various religionists are right about there being an afterlife, first thing I'm going to do is meet the grandfather who died before I was born and thank him for getting out of that hellhole when he could.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 25 May 2018, 15:35

Ireland is maybe in a better neighborhood and does have a long tradition of working abroad (which would expose them to more ideas), but Ireland is now a good bit ahead of Britain in terms of general measures of advancement. They sit more with the Nordic, Swiss and Benelux folks nowadays.