Money for Nothing: the Universal Basic Income

Aresen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Money for Nothing: the Universal Basic Income

Post by Aresen » 17 Nov 2019, 10:26

Ellie wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 01:03
I confess I don't know anything about "the dole" besides hearing references to it in some of the British novels I've read. From my extremely ignorant perspective, it sounds a little like UBI -- kind of like money for nothing, but not very much, just enough to get by? Or am I way off base?

(yes, I could google it, but I don't feel like it SO THERE)
The usage I am familiar with meant 'being on welfare'.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Shem
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shem » 17 Nov 2019, 15:07

Ellie wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 01:03
I confess I don't know anything about "the dole" besides hearing references to it in some of the British novels I've read. From my extremely ignorant perspective, it sounds a little like UBI -- kind of like money for nothing, but not very much, just enough to get by? Or am I way off base?

(yes, I could google it, but I don't feel like it SO THERE)
The dole is unemployment benefits. At least in a British context.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 17 Nov 2019, 16:42

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/j/jo ... ce-jsa.asp

Normal mode seems to be up to 26 weeks with requirements to continue searching for employment and accepting any job with “reasonable”wage.

Shem

Post by Shem » 17 Nov 2019, 20:23

That's Unemployment.

JD

Post by JD » 18 Nov 2019, 10:24

"The dole" is basically unemployment/welfare, but my impression is that in recent decades it's actually been a lot more restricted; at its height it seemed to be generous, non-time-limited unemployment, housing provided by the local council, plus of course the free education, free healthcare, etc.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Nov 2019, 10:48

Shem wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 20:23
That's Unemployment.
I know? I was just clarifying the flavor of UK unemployment.

Shem

Post by Shem » 18 Nov 2019, 12:38

JasonL wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 10:48
Shem wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 20:23
That's Unemployment.
I know? I was just clarifying the flavor of UK unemployment.
That's exactly the same as US flavor in at least 45 states.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Nov 2019, 12:56

Ok? Are we arguing about something?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Nov 2019, 13:08

JD wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 10:24
at its height it seemed to be generous, non-time-limited unemployment, housing provided by the local council, plus of course the free education, free healthcare, etc.
Yeah, I just realized how unclear I was in my post! Most of the books I've read are talking about the dole in the 70s and 80s and make it sound like everybody was just getting money automatically each week and nobody was looking for work anyway.

I'm sure it's still much more like modern unemployment than a UBI, but there was just something the other day where an Irish woman on a podcast was reminiscing about getting her weekly dole check that made me go "hmm." Anyway, carry on!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Nov 2019, 13:16

Ellie wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 13:08
JD wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 10:24
at its height it seemed to be generous, non-time-limited unemployment, housing provided by the local council, plus of course the free education, free healthcare, etc.
Yeah, I just realized how unclear I was in my post! Most of the books I've read are talking about the dole in the 70s and 80s and make it sound like everybody was just getting money automatically each week and nobody was looking for work anyway.

I'm sure it's still much more like modern unemployment than a UBI, but there was just something the other day where an Irish woman on a podcast was reminiscing about getting her weekly dole check that made me go "hmm." Anyway, carry on!
It's actually integral to the plot of The Full Monty.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT