Money for Nothing: the Universal Basic Income

JasonL

Money for Nothing: the Universal Basic Income

Post by JasonL » 02 Aug 2018, 13:50

New government may just be philosophically opposed. Still with Finland first then this one the consensus at a minimum is it’s expensive.

Fin Fang Foom

Re: Money for Nothing: the Universal Basic Income

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 02 Aug 2018, 13:54

JasonL wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 13:50
New government may just be philosophically opposed. Still with Finland first then this one the consensus at a minimum is it’s expensive.
Rob Ford:Marion Berry::Doug Ford:Donald Trump is what I've heard.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Aug 2018, 20:24

JasonL wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 13:50
But why would it be expensive to give everyone money? :D

(OK, to be sure, this program was income-gated, despite the "U".)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Oct 2018, 19:28

Apparently Obama has climbed aboard the UBI bandwagon.

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 08 Feb 2019, 08:00

So far Finland's experiment shows that recipients' (self-reported) health and happiness is better, but their work habits are unimproved:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-finl ... SKCN1PX0NM

I'm not sure that this experiment is really a great one, since the recipients were/are all unemployed, so I'm not really sure how it boiled down to anything more than more generous, no-strings-attached welfare payments. Then again, my feeling has always been that since UBI is paid for out of taxes, some people are going to be net losers and some are going to be net gainers, meaning that UBI will essentially always boil down to "more welfare".
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF