Orange is the new President

dhex

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by dhex »

thoreau wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 12:55
I am enjoying the thread responses. Greatly.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Nah, that's stupid just-world bullshit. Someone could take every precaution and get unlucky and die.

Being a fuckboy who tried to undermine the country's response to the disease, turned defying health precautions into a political statement, and went to maskless mass gatherings, even hosting some at the White House? Yeah, getting it then is all on you.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Yeah, I'm sympathetic to the sentiment, but the claim is wrong.

Him getting sick is like 95% his own fault through a combination of "mismanaging the pandemic in general" and "not taking precautions and wearing masks and such" and "holy shit why did you throw that Rose Garden party?"

But in general, the thing is contagious and can fuck over people who are being reasonably cautious.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Thing is, he has options available to him that go way beyond "reasonably cautious", and not only did he not avail himself of those, he organized a superspreader event. He invited a bunch of people to mingle in close proximity (and photos are coming out of indoor portions, not just the outdoor remarks) and they all knew he hates seeing people in masks. His ego and temper are not the sole reason why there were so few masks but they are big factors. He could have instituted a mask order and the Secret Service would have enforced it. But he hates seeing masks in the White House.

More than anyone else, he did this to himself. He isn't some unlucky schmuck who tried to play it safe but got sick anyway. He's in a unique situation, with a set of options available only to heads of state and a few similarly powerful people, and not only did he eschew them, he did the opposite.

One can note his unique recklessness without blaming victims in general.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Plus, with the emerging timeline of events showing that he and his staff were attending events even when they had reason to suspect exposure, he not only endangered himself, he endangered others.

He might just literally kill off the Republican Party as a governing entity if he decimates enough donors, staffers, campaign officials, and Senators. This is recklessness on a scale not befitting a head of government. The GOP cannot be entrusted with power again for a generation, because this is what had happened as they've gotten high on their own supply.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 21:17 Plus, with the emerging timeline of events showing that he and his staff were attending events even when they had reason to suspect exposure, he not only endangered himself, he endangered others.

He might just literally kill off the Republican Party as a governing entity if he decimates enough donors, staffers, campaign officials, and Senators. This is recklessness on a scale not befitting a head of government. The GOP cannot be entrusted with power again for a generation, because this is what had happened as they've gotten high on their own supply.
I am snickering at the possibility that enough Republican Senators who were attending an event to honor Amy Coney Barrett's nomination will become infected or be exposed and have to isolate that they will be unable to confirm her.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

What's the point of an imperial presidency if he can't do the forbidden city thing when it actually makes sense.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Aresen wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 22:00
thoreau wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 21:17 Plus, with the emerging timeline of events showing that he and his staff were attending events even when they had reason to suspect exposure, he not only endangered himself, he endangered others.

I am snickering at the possibility that enough Republican Senators who were attending an event to honor Amy Coney Barrett's nomination will become infected or be exposed and have to isolate that they will be unable to confirm her.
Eh, McConnell can change rules about committee approval easily enough. As far as votes of the full Senate, I'm sure there's a way to allow remote voting. Or, at least, there's a way for McConnell to allow Republicans to vote remotely.
--Mo
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

The photos from last weekend's WH event look like something I would call for in my darkest, most treasonous moments.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... covid.html

But this was not planned by a guy who talks too loudly about his sheer hatred of Trump and the GOP. It was planned by them. They orchestrated their own decapitation strike. They and their enablers should never again be within a hundred miles of power.

And the Secret Service allowed it. For allowing this decapitation strike I can't quite decide whether they should be tried for treason or awarded medals.
--Mo
Shem

Post by Shem »

thoreau wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 11:27 And the Secret Service allowed it. For allowing this decapitation strike I can't quite decide whether they should be tried for treason or awarded medals.
"Allowed?" I think you've read one too many jokes about the praetorian guard.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I had no idea South Park was doing a "Pandemic Special" episode until I saw the recording on my DVR.

For what it's worth, the South Park guys -- the ones who introduced the phrase "giant douche or turd sandwich" into American political vocabulary -- seem to have abandoned their "both sides suck equally, just in different ways" philosophy where Trump and the pandemic are concerned: they hold him (or President Garrison, his cartoon-world counterpart) completely responsible for his aggressive refusal to do a single goddamned useful thing to quell the pandemic.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
dhex

Post by dhex »

Shem wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 13:08
thoreau wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 11:27 And the Secret Service allowed it. For allowing this decapitation strike I can't quite decide whether they should be tried for treason or awarded medals.
"Allowed?" I think you've read one too many jokes about the praetorian guard.
Yah sometimes the boss wants to stick their dick in a blender and you have no choice to watch them do it.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Speaking of Secret Service guys, Trump decided to go for a ride today, so he could wave to crowds. Of course, Secret Service guys had to ride in the vehicle with him. He's putting them at risk of catching a dread illness so he can look "strong" for the cameras and his fans.

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

People say I'm bad for hoping the worst for him, but he made the Secret Service get into an airtight limo with him for a joyride while he's contagious. He's the one trying to kill Secret Service agents, not me.
--Mo
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

On the bright side: assuming he survives this and then we return to three-days-ago concerns such as "What if he loses the election but refuses to concede?" ... now we know there is absolute zero chance any Secret Service agents will have any compunction against booting his ass out within nanoseconds of his first term constitutionally expiring.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 21:03 On the bright side: assuming he survives this and then we return to three-days-ago concerns such as "What if he loses the election but refuses to concede?" ... now we know there is absolute zero chance any Secret Service agents will have any compunction against booting his ass out within nanoseconds of his first term constitutionally expiring.
I've never thought the Secret Service agents would do anything other than abide by the constitution. They are intelligent and dedicated people. If the 'nightmare scenario' unfolded and Trump refused to leave the Oval Office at 12:01 January 20, 2021 after Biden took the oath at the Capitol, I'm convinced they would decide en masse that Biden was now POTUS and physically remove Trump.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

The "nightmare scenario" has never been that Trump will refuse to leave while everyone else recognizes Biden as the winner. The nightmare has always been contested counts that result in different authorities reaching different conclusions. Maybe a state legislature goes one way, the governor goes another, Congress is divided, court rulings are all over the map, and SCOTUS either tries to punt or issues a ruling that some figures insist "leaves crucial issues unresolved." And, yes, if everyone abides by standard interpretations of the rules and defers to proper authorities on an established flowchart, none of this is an issue. The issue is if people (for reasons fair or foul) stick to disagreement rather than deferring. In that scenario, people pretty low on the flowchart have a hell of a dilemma because the people above them are not giving consistent directions and they have to decide which high-status person to admit into the building and which one to turn away.

I think that's still possible, but it's become a lot less likely. Partly because polls are looking better and better for Biden, but also because Trump has shown that he doesn't care if Senators and federal law enforcement officers get exposed to his germs. I think a whole lot of people have lost any interest in taking risks for him. In fact, if he keeps insisting that federal law enforcement officers go for joyrides with him in a sealed vehicle while he exhales viral particles, we might see some officials submit resignations.

It's one thing for agents to risk their lives to protect him from others, and quite another thing for him to knowingly endanger them because he lacks the patience to stay in a medical facility with infection control protocols and wants to go see the crowds cheer for him. The relationship between a leader and his guardians is supposed to be a reciprocal one, where they assume risks for him and he in turn looks out for their interests. The word "leader" comes from an ancient root word that actually means "to go forth and die." The leader sacrifices for the tribe and the soldiers of the tribe are in turn prepared to lay down their lives for him.
--Mo
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Claudia Conway announces she has coronavirus on TikTok

So from the Sept 26 event, the virus has used Kellyanne Conway as a vector to reach her daughter.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Aresen wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 23:36 Claudia Conway announces she has coronavirus on TikTok

So from the Sept 26 event, the virus has used Kellyanne Conway as a vector to reach her daughter.
Unlikely. To soon of an incubation time.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The Trump presidential library is not exactly going to be a treasure trove for researchers.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
nicole

Post by nicole »

Are you sure? I’ve read a ton of e ink spilled dissecting that photo op already.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 12:18 Are you sure? I’ve read a ton of e ink spilled dissecting that photo op already.
I was under the impression that presidential libraries only housed documents produced by the Administration. If that's the case, Trumps will be 90% blank pieces of paper plus that one map he drew on with a sharpie.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
nicole

Post by nicole »

Yes, and deranged researchers will have no problem writing a bunch of conspiracy theories about those blank pieces of paper.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Highway

Post by Highway »

I liked that AP found from the EXIF data on those photos that they were taken 10 minutes apart. So he was working really hard on moving all the props from one room to another.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Given that it's Roberts who would traditionally administer the oath, I suspect that at some point if it's truly up in the air that whoever he chose to swear in would probably get the bulk of gov't behind him.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake