Orange is the new President

thoreau

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by thoreau »

Aresen wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 00:09
"I banged Hillary."
That might get some sympathy votes.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Honestly they would just rationalize him saying those things and still vote for him. You guys are forgetting about people being people. It's cool because I'm here to remind you of that fact. You're welcome.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Aresen wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 00:09
Eric the .5b wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 23:09
thoreau wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 22:11
Here are the things he could say that would cost him (some but not all) Red support:
"I'm raising taxes."
"I'm not nominating any more conservative judges."
"I'll sign a gun control bill."
"I hate Baptists. Just shitty people."
"I banged Hillary."
No, the thing that would really get him with Team Red is, "Hillary pegged me."
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 01:16
Honestly they would just rationalize him saying those things and still vote for him. You guys are forgetting about people being people. It's cool because I'm here to remind you of that fact. You're welcome.
It was a fine effort Pham. Your heart is in the right place.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo »

Someone who totally didn’t get the meaning of I, Pencil.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

"This is what national decline looks like"
... Never has a U.S. election come at such a moment of national mortification. In April 1970, President Richard Nixon told a national television audience that futility in Vietnam would make the United States appear to the world to be “a pitiful, helpless giant.” Half a century later, America, for the first time in its history, is pitied.

Not even during the Civil War, when the country was blood-soaked by a conflict involving enormous issues, was it viewed with disdainful condescension as it now is, and not without reason: Last Sunday, Germany (population 80.2 million) had 159 new cases of COVID-19; Florida (population 21.5 million) had 15,300.

Under the most frivolous person ever to hold any great nation’s highest office, this nation is in a downward spiral. This spiral has not reached its nadir, but at least it has reached a point where worse is helpful, and worse can be confidently expected.

The nation’s floundering government is now administered by a gangster regime. It is helpful to have this made obvious as voters contemplate renewing the regime’s lease on the executive branch. Roger Stone adopted the argot of B-grade mobster movies when he said he would not “roll on” Donald Trump. By commuting Stone’s sentence, Stone’s beneficiary played his part in this down-market drama, showing gratitude for Stone’s version of omerta (the Mafia code of silence), which involved lots of speaking, but much lying. Because the pandemic prevents both presidential candidates from bouncing around the continent like popcorn in a skillet, the electorate can concentrate on other things, including Trump’s selection of friends such as Stone and Paul Manafort, dregs from the bottom of the Republican barrel.

[....]

“The hard truth is that there has been a rising tide of voter suppression in recent U.S. elections. These actions — such as over-eager purging of electoral registers and reducing early voting — have the appearance of enforcing abstract principles of electoral integrity but the clear effect (and apparent intent) of disproportionately disenfranchising racial minorities. One example was the decision of Georgia’s Republican Secretary of State (now governor) Brian Kemp to suspend 53,000 predominantly African American voter registration applications in 2018 because the names did not produce an ‘exact match’ with other records.”

This nation built the Empire State Building, groundbreaking to official opening, in 410 days during the Depression, and the Pentagon in 16 months during wartime. Today’s less serious nation is unable to competently combat a pandemic, or even reliably conduct elections. This is what national decline looks like.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

At first I thought this headline had to be a quote-mine:

'Science should not stand in the way' of schools reopening, White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany says

But:
WASHINGTON – White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany on Thursday emphasized that schools reopening this fall shouldn't be contingent on science surrounding coronavirus, but then claimed the "science is on our side here" as the pandemic continues unabated.

In response to a question about what President Donald Trump would say to parents who have kids in school districts that may be online-only, McEnany said: “The president has said unmistakably that he wants schools to open. And when he says open, he means open in full, kids been able to attend each and every day at their school.

"The science should not stand in the way of this,” she added, saying it is "perfectly safe" to fully reopen all classrooms.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem »

Just like it was perfectly safe to reopen the beach, right Mayor Vaughn?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

John Yoo is back!
The Trump administration has been consulting the former government lawyer who wrote the legal justification for waterboarding on how the president might try to rule by decree.

John Yoo told the Guardian he has been talking to White House officials about his view that a recent supreme court ruling on immigration would allow Trump to issue executive orders on whether to apply existing federal laws.

“If the court really believes what it just did, then it just handed President Trump a great deal of power, too,” Yoo, a professor at Berkeley Law, said.

“The supreme court has said President Obama could [choose not to] enforce immigration laws for about 2 million cases. And why can’t the Trump administration do something similar with immigration – create its own … program, but it could do it in areas beyond that, like healthcare, tax policy, criminal justice, inner city policy. I talked to them a fair amount about cities, because of the disorder.”
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Highway

Post by Highway »

Why do they need John Yoo? Bill Barr is happy to just say "Whatever I / Trump want to do is legal. Who's gonna stop me?"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jake

Post by Jake »

Highway wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 20:33
Why do they need John Yoo? Bill Barr is happy to just say "Whatever I / Trump want to do is legal. Who's gonna stop me?"
Because if you don't get an endorsement of your policy by Toddler-Testicle-Crushin' Yoo, what's even the point of being president?
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jake wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 20:50
Highway wrote:
Because if you don't get an endorsement of your policy by Toddler-Testicle-Crushin' Yoo, what's even the point of being president?
Plus, he's courting the Asian fascist vote.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 21:29
Jake wrote:
Highway wrote:
I thought he already covered that with Kim, Xi, and Duarte.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 00:15
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 21:29
Jake wrote:
Highway wrote:
I thought he already covered that with Kim, Xi, and Duarte.
Dunno, is Malkin still calling him too liberal?
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

thoreau wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 10:37
Yet another impeachable offense.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/worl ... -open.html
Also I kinda suspect that Robert Wood Johnson IV's granddad is spinning hard enough in his grave that if you took his and WFBjr's graves and attached them to the ISS at right angles you could keep it stable for centuries.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 10:37
Yet another impeachable offense.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/worl ... -open.html
He's just trying to improve his lie.

Shem

Post by Shem »

At least he didn't ask for the head of John the Baptist.

dhex

Post by dhex »

why is trump so fixated on payroll tax cuts?

it seems like a low benefit, high cost strategy that he doesn't even really get to stamp his name on, unlike the silly heres your money you fucking peasants letter that came with the first round of dollars.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

No idea. He seems to think it's "of the people".

Shem

Post by Shem »

It's an easy way to give a bunch of people a small amount of money back, thereby providing cover for giving businesses (especially large corporations) a huge amount of money back by also carrying out employer-side cuts at the same time. Plus, it makes Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid more unstable, driving privatization arguments.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

--Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

It never even occurred to me that Trump lied about being asked to throw out the opening pitch. It was just so brazen it slipped by my bullshit detector.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

As Mary McCarthy once said of Lillian Hellman, every word Trump says is a lie including "and" and "the."

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 09:09
It never even occurred to me that Trump lied about being asked to throw out the opening pitch. It was just so brazen it slipped by my bullshit detector.
If the Trump presidency was pitched as a Hollywood Comedy ten years ago, the studios would have turned it down as 'too preposterous'.