Orange is the new President

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jennifer wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 18:38
This is a little old, but of course bad-Trump news comes in faster than anyone can keep up with: WTF was up with him taking a "cognitive test" at Walter Reed? (Given how he bragged about "acing" it, I'd wager he thinks a "passing a cognitive test" is equivalent to "scoring Mensa-level on an IQ test" as opposed to "checking to ensure the patient isn't suffering serious forms of brain damage.") As I understand it, an actual cognitive test for an adult is questions like "Count backwards from ten," "listen to me recite this list of three words, then repeat them back in order" or "identify this picture of an animal." (And those animal questions are along the lines of "This is a bird, THAT is a dog" not "Distinguish between these three different species of Galapagos finches.") Who among his inner circle had the bare-minimum sense to arrange for a cognitive test, and what specifically inspired it NOW, after four years of obvious mental and emotional instability from him?
The test (or one very close to it).

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 19:03
Jennifer wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 18:38
This is a little old, but of course bad-Trump news comes in faster than anyone can keep up with: WTF was up with him taking a "cognitive test" at Walter Reed? (Given how he bragged about "acing" it, I'd wager he thinks a "passing a cognitive test" is equivalent to "scoring Mensa-level on an IQ test" as opposed to "checking to ensure the patient isn't suffering serious forms of brain damage.") As I understand it, an actual cognitive test for an adult is questions like "Count backwards from ten," "listen to me recite this list of three words, then repeat them back in order" or "identify this picture of an animal." (And those animal questions are along the lines of "This is a bird, THAT is a dog" not "Distinguish between these three different species of Galapagos finches.") Who among his inner circle had the bare-minimum sense to arrange for a cognitive test, and what specifically inspired it NOW, after four years of obvious mental and emotional instability from him?
The test (or one very close to it).
Unsurprisingly, I effortlessly scored five out of five -- only I know better than to brag about this in a freaking press conference, or even think I accomplished anything which any member of this forum couldn't do every bit as well.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I just want to know how long Trump took and how much help he got.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

And precisely how the doctors responded, for Trump to boast about it.

Also, not to get conspiratorial, but I wonder if today's photo op at Walter Reed was "just" a photo op, or an excuse for another round of tests. If the latter, does Trump himself know why he's REALLY going there, or was it one of his advisors who tricked him into going?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway »

That just reinforces the idea that they think Trump had some sort of stroke. The idea that they thought they needed to administer such a basic cognitive function test for an adult is pretty... I can't even think of a word.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo »

He is in his 70s. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was part of a standard battery at his age.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo »

So glad that mainstream press in our allies’ papers give us the same treatment that you would expect to see from the Saudis or Norks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 06846.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I hate doing arithmetic in my head so I actually struggled with "keep subtracting 7." Not because I don't know how to do so, but my eyes glaze over at such problems so I did have to concentrate for a moment. In my aged defense, my eyes glazed over at that sort of problem in my 20s, too.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 20:35
I hate doing arithmetic in my head so I actually struggled with "keep subtracting 7."
If that's on the test then No Child Left Behind created a generation of early onset dementia.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Highway wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 19:37
That just reinforces the idea that they think Trump had some sort of stroke. The idea that they thought they needed to administer such a basic cognitive function test for an adult is pretty... I can't even think of a word.
Not to mention the fact that any grown adult-- let alone the sitting POTUS -- would think that "acing" such a test is something to brag about in a press conference.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

I'm sure 4 out of 5 people have no problem with it. 80 percent of the population worries too much about such things. What's one out of five really mean, after all? Making the top quintile is no mean feat.

(5/5 actually.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem »

It's less about "how quickly can you do this" and more about "are you capable of remembering the number you were just at and subtracting 7 from that in your head, even if it takes you time to number off."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jake

Post by Jake »

Shem wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 21:14
It's less about "how quickly can you do this" and more about "are you capable of remembering the number you were just at and subtracting 7 from that in your head, even if it takes you time to number off."
Or, in my case, "forget the math... how quickly can you identify which number at each step appears in a plurality of the answer options." (People who design tests have tells that make tests super easy once you spot 'em.)

(And yes, I plan to cheat on my cognitive tests for the rest of my life.) ;)
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Yeah, well, for the record, I got the right answer. I just didn't have to do any conscious processing on the other question.

Mo

Post by Mo »

Jake wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 21:20
Shem wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 21:14
Or, in my case, "forget the math... how quickly can you identify which number at each step appears in a plurality of the answer options." (People who design tests have tells that make tests super easy once you spot 'em.)

(And yes, I plan to cheat on my cognitive tests for the rest of my life.) ;)
In fairness being able to engage in that sort of mental logic is a sign of a lack of cognitive decline.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 20:58
I'm sure 4 out of 5 people have no problem with it. 80 percent of the population worries too much about such things. What's one out of five really mean, after all? Making the top quintile is no mean feat.

(5/5 actually.)
Making the third quintile is a median feat.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 11:52
Aresen wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 20:58

(5/5 actually.)
Making the third quintile is a median feat.
I take it we're in pun mode now.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Mo wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 19:40
He is in his 70s. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was part of a standard battery at his age.
I don't think it is. I mean it might be for the President, but my dad basically had to [some excessive thing to get someone to do a thing they don't want to do] to get my mom's doctor to do a cognitive test for her, and at this point she'd been failing to really manage day-to-day tasks for at least a year, and had been in obvious mental decline for years before that.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Warning: The information in this post probably requires at least a double oven-mitt protection from facepalm.

If you can't rely on a game show host for real information, who can you rely on?

Trump retweets game show host Chuck Woolery’s baseless claim that ‘everyone is lying’ about coronavirus
President Donald Trump retweeted a post by game show host Chuck Woolery that baselessly claimed “everyone is lying” about the coronavirus pandemic in a possible effort to thwart Trump’s reelection by harming the economy.

The conservative Woolery, who hosted shows such as “Love Connection,” wrote in his Twitter post on Sunday evening, “The most outrageous lies are the ones about Covid 19.”

“Everyone is lying. The CDC [federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention], Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust,” Woolery wrote.

“I think it’s all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I’m sick of it,” he added.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Every time Trump gives a speech I find myself hoping he'll accidentally snap and say something that will finally make people want to desert him. Although I'm not sure what could possibly do that. "I fucking love abortions" maybe
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 21:17
Every time Trump gives a speech I find myself hoping he'll accidentally snap and say something that will finally make people want to desert him. Although I'm not sure what could possibly do that. "I fucking love abortions" maybe
If "Grab em by the pussy" didn't rid you of this delusion, I think you got problems beyond the help of modern medicine.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Trump could say that he could shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue and people would still love him and people would still love him.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Here are the things he could say that would cost him (some but not all) Red support:
"I'm raising taxes."
"I'm not nominating any more conservative judges."
"I'll sign a gun control bill."
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 22:11
Here are the things he could say that would cost him (some but not all) Red support:
"I'm raising taxes."
"I hate Baptists. Just shitty people."
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Eric the .5b wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 23:09
thoreau wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 22:11
"I'm raising taxes."
"I hate Baptists. Just shitty people."
"I banged Hillary."