Orange is the new President

Warren

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 19:57
Warren wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 19:29
All old people are afraid of falling. Losing your sense of balance doesn't require a stroke. That's why there's Life Alert.
If you're over 60 or maybe it's 65 and break a hip, you've got about a 50/50 chance of being dead in six months even if you have a successful hip replacement. So, yeah, there comes a day when you really start to worry about slipping in the shower or bathtub.
Color me skeptical. I've known half a dozen people over seventy that have broken a hip and not one of them was dead within a year.
It's true though that the stakes are higher, if not fatal. If you slip in the bathtub in your twenties, it's unlikely you're going to break a hip. And if you trip in the living room, you're not an inverted turtle that must wait upon rescue. But more than that, loss of balance, like loss of hearing, and eyesight, is something that happens to almost everyone that lives long enough.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 20:29
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 19:57
Warren wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 19:29
All old people are afraid of falling. Losing your sense of balance doesn't require a stroke. That's why there's Life Alert.
If you're over 60 or maybe it's 65 and break a hip, you've got about a 50/50 chance of being dead in six months even if you have a successful hip replacement. So, yeah, there comes a day when you really start to worry about slipping in the shower or bathtub.
Color me skeptical. I've known half a dozen people over seventy that have broken a hip and not one of them was dead within a year.
It's true though that the stakes are higher, if not fatal. If you slip in the bathtub in your twenties, it's unlikely you're going to break a hip. And if you trip in the living room, you're not an inverted turtle that must wait upon rescue. But more than that, loss of balance, like loss of hearing, and eyesight, is something that happens to almost everyone that lives long enough.
I wouldn't bet the farm on the 50/50 figure and, sure, it's an oversimplification, but it's in the ball park.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I believe that number is correct, DAR. To bad Warren's anecdote proves statistics wrong.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

I was taught the 50/50 thing in medic school, and have seen it referenced any number of times since. What I've never seen is the actual source. I'd also expect that to change at least a little, given better medical procedures and generally healthier geriatric populations.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Here is an NIH summary.

It indicates rates as low as 11% and as high as 58%.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I claim no expertise and I based my OC on reports of studies or probably just summaries of reports of studies. As to No. 6's point, yes, there has been significant improvement in geriatric medicine, but the upshot of that is also that there are many more old people breaking their hips now.

Whatever the figure is, it easily justifies people my age and older becoming seriously concerned about the possibility, which was really my only point.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 10:38
I claim no expertise and I based my OC on reports of studies or probably just summaries of reports of studies. As to No. 6's point, yes, there has been significant improvement in geriatric medicine, but the upshot of that is also that there are many more old people breaking their hips now.

Whatever the figure is, it easily justifies people my age and older becoming seriously concerned about the possibility, which was really my only point.
It is very much a valid concern. The old lady who broke her hip in a fall from standing is a staple of my profession. That being said, anecdata suggest that it is more often an old lady concern. I don't know if it's the tendency of older women to suffer from varying degrees of osteoporosis, the different architecture of women's pelvis, or something else, but women seem to be much more prone to hip fractures.
Here is where I will get on my soap box for just long enough to point out that exercise, especially the sort that involves moving weight, does good things for bone density, even among older people.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Number 6 wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:43
I don't know if it's the tendency of older women to suffer from varying degrees of osteoporosis, the different architecture of women's pelvis, or something else, but women seem to be much more prone to hip fractures.
Could it be that women live longer, and men tend to die of cardiovascular or other problems before osteoporosis becomes a dominant concern? Anecdotally, in my family the women have all lived to their 90s and the majority of men have tended to die between 50s and 70s. I have one great grandfather that I know of who made it to 90, and my dad will soon be 82 because of some skin of his teeth last minute saves, couple years ago he almost died from Wegener's disease, but that's it for the men in the family.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 14:30
Number 6 wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:43
I don't know if it's the tendency of older women to suffer from varying degrees of osteoporosis, the different architecture of women's pelvis, or something else, but women seem to be much more prone to hip fractures.
Could it be that women live longer, and men tend to die of cardiovascular or other problems before osteoporosis becomes a dominant concern? Anecdotally, in my family the women have all lived to their 90s and the majority of men have tended to die between 50s and 70s. I have one great grandfather that I know of who made it to 90, and my dad will soon be 82 because of some skin of his teeth last minute saves, couple years ago he almost died from Wegener's disease, but that's it for the men in the family.
I believe it's because women tend to do less heavy lifting and more dieting where they cut out dairy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

It's the menstrual/reproduction cycle. Pulls iron, calcium, phosphate, etc out of your body(bones) to get ready for the child your body expects you to be working towards. If you have had children it's much worse. Teeth can crack. Arthritis can develop. Plasias of all types, etc etc.

It's normal unfortunately.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Also the hip thing is a major killer. Cant tourniquet that area. One break past 55 or so basically means your risk of a fracture happening again skyrockets.

Some people become immobilized while others are immobilized for I believe on average 6 to 10 weeks. That's a long time of muscle atrophy and reduced immune system. Diabetes and cardiovascular diseases can really get pronounced after a hip break. I think something like nearly everyone past 75* with a broken hip are dead within 6 months.

Summary: A broken hip can basically cause a systemic failure.

*I dont remember the exact age but it's either 65 or 75.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Bolton's least surprising 'revelation':

Trump was willing to halt criminal investigations as 'favor' to dictators, Bolton book says
Donald Trump was willing to halt criminal investigations to “give personal favors to dictators he liked”, according to a new book written by his former national security adviser John Bolton.

In his memoir, due to be published later this month, Bolton reports that Trump pleaded with China’s President Xi Jinping to help him get re-elected by buying more US agricultural products, according to accounts of his forthcoming memoir.

In his pursuit of a good personal relationship with Xi, Trump is described as brushing aside human rights issues, even providing encouragement to the communist leader to continue to build concentration camps for China’s Muslim Uighur population.

In his book, which Trump’s justice department has attempted to stop being published, Bolton argues the House impeachment inquiry should have ranged much further than just Trump’s efforts to pressure the Ukrainian government for his own political gain.

According to excerpts published by the Wall Street Journal, New York Times and the Washington Post, Bolton describes a pattern of corruption in which Trump routinely attempts to use the leverage of US power on other countries to his own personal ends.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Aresen wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 19:23
Bolton's least surprising 'revelation':

Trump was willing to halt criminal investigations as 'favor' to dictators, Bolton book says
Donald Trump was willing to halt criminal investigations to “give personal favors to dictators he liked”, according to a new book written by his former national security adviser John Bolton.

In his memoir, due to be published later this month, Bolton reports that Trump pleaded with China’s President Xi Jinping to help him get re-elected by buying more US agricultural products, according to accounts of his forthcoming memoir.

In his pursuit of a good personal relationship with Xi, Trump is described as brushing aside human rights issues, even providing encouragement to the communist leader to continue to build concentration camps for China’s Muslim Uighur population.

In his book, which Trump’s justice department has attempted to stop being published, Bolton argues the House impeachment inquiry should have ranged much further than just Trump’s efforts to pressure the Ukrainian government for his own political gain.

According to excerpts published by the Wall Street Journal, New York Times and the Washington Post, Bolton describes a pattern of corruption in which Trump routinely attempts to use the leverage of US power on other countries to his own personal ends.
I think Bolton's break from the Trump camp may be the best thing ever.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I can't put into words how angry it makes me that Bolton is looked at as a sane and patriotic American. Literally nothing good comes from this administration. It almost makes me want to vote Democrat in November.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 22:07
I can't put into words how angry it makes me that Bolton is looked at as a sane and patriotic American. Literally nothing good comes from this administration. It almost makes me want to vote Democrat in November.
Who looks at him that way?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Politico and The Hill.* As well as a few of my fakebook friends who think they won't be voting for Trump in November.

*I admit theres nothing overt but man does it feel like they want their readership to look at him as a credible source trying to hold the administration together. I don't believe there are any adults in that fucking administration at this point.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 22:21
Politico and The Hill.* As well as a few of my fakebook friends who think they won't be voting for Trump in November.

*I admit theres nothing overt but man does it feel like they want their readership to look at him as a credible source trying to hold the administration together. I don't believe there are any adults in that fucking administration at this point.
I mean he's credible in the sense that he's telling the same story as every other turd the Trump Administration has cut loose. They all painted themselves as the adult in the room, but I'm not sure anyone buys that from anyone who was willing to hitch their wagon to that particular star.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 23:30
Pham Nuwen wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 22:21

I mean he's credible in the sense that he's telling the same story as every other turd the Trump Administration has cut loose. They all painted themselves as the adult in the room, but I'm not sure anyone buys that from anyone who was willing to hitch their wagon to that particular star.
Compared to Trump, Cartman would be the adult in the room.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

It seems like Trump has been spending all his energy on getting reelected pretty much since he took office. If he does get a second term, what the hell is he going to do then?
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Warren

Post by Warren »

You ever notice that Trump never laughs. Like never. Weird.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Ellie wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 01:45
It seems like Trump has been spending all his energy on getting reelected pretty much since he took office. If he does get a second term, what the hell is he going to do then?
Work on the 22nd amendment.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Warren wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 08:17
Yes, and that's a no-kidding "something is deeply wrong with this guy" signal in my mind. Leaving politics aside, I tend to think anyone who doesn't at least chuckle is at the very least an unpleasant person, and quite possibly suffers from some sort of personality disorder.

JD

Post by JD »

Warren wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 08:17
Well, here's footage of him laughing, although it would probably be better if he hadn't laughed...
https://yo utu.be/pYux2DBFnoY
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Mo

Post by Mo »

I guess people are tired of all the winning.

https://apnews.com/0f6b9be04fa0d3194401821a72665a50
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Sarah Sanders 'piling on' is somewhat of a featherweight.

SARAH SANDERS JOINS THE BOLTON PILE-ON, CALLS HIM “ARROGANT,” “SELFISH”