Orange is the new President

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Fair enough. I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts, though, that if they sold or attempted to sell something the real White House, regardless of occupant, disapproved of it would quickly be discontinued.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Oh sure, they have to stay in the WH's good graces.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Trump doesn't want testing done for covid-19, lest it make the country look bad.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB13Kquj
"The media likes to say we have the most [coronavirus] cases, but we do, by far, the most testing. If we did very little testing, we wouldn't have the most cases. So, in a way, by doing all of this testing, we make ourselves look bad."

He quickly added that the United States has "done more testing than every other country combined" -- which is ridiculously untrue, but which has nevertheless become one of the president's favorite lies.

Regardless, Trump's unscripted comments offered a peek into an unhealthy perspective: he apparently has a problem with coronavirus testing, despite its critical significance, because the resulting data makes his administration "look bad."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I haven't followed the Flynn thing in enough depth to have an opinion on the latest kerfluffle, but I hope when the dust settles, Team Red maintains this level of interest and scrutiny in every criminal case when someone claims their guilty plea (or conviction after trial) was induced/caused by the government withholding exculpatory evidence.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Andrew wrote:
08 May 2020, 10:08
I haven't followed the Flynn thing in enough depth to have an opinion on the latest kerfluffle, but I hope when the dust settles, Team Red maintains this level of interest and scrutiny in every criminal case when someone claims their guilty plea (or conviction after trial) was induced/caused by the government withholding exculpatory evidence.
You funny
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
08 May 2020, 10:40
Andrew wrote:
You funny
I guffawed.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Andrew wrote:
Hard no.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

On the "Putin on the Writs" thread:
Eric the .5b wrote:
10 May 2020, 19:17
The thing is, to me, that Trump's handling of COVID-19 has been the sort of sufficiently advanced idiocy and sociopathic self-interest that really looks like deliberate malice. It's the single situation where he most looks like he's trying to outright sabotage the US, and the single strongest argument that he's the weapon of an enemy of the US...but I don't hear harping on that by the usual suspects. People go right to the political advantages Trump's little brain is trying to seek.
Despite his obvious blundering on the COVID-19, his approval ratings haven't moved in any significant way. I realize it's sportsbar, but does he literally have to shoot a child on 5th Avenue for the GOP to desert him?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Aresen wrote:
11 May 2020, 14:20
Eric the .5b wrote:
The thing is, to me, that Trump's handling of COVID-19 has been the sort of sufficiently advanced idiocy and sociopathic self-interest that really looks like deliberate malice. It's the single situation where he most looks like he's trying to outright sabotage the US, and the single strongest argument that he's the weapon of an enemy of the US...but I don't hear harping on that by the usual suspects. People go right to the political advantages Trump's little brain is trying to seek.
Despite his obvious blundering on the COVID-19, his approval ratings haven't moved in any significant way. I realize it's sportsbar, but does he literally have to shoot a child on 5th Avenue for the GOP to desert him?
What color child?

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Aresen wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Maybe massive die-offs upon (Red) state re-openings? I got nothing, otherwise.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Aresen wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
People are saying, great people, everyone's saying that it was self-defense.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Even if covid truthers or their loved ones start dying in numbers too large for even them to ignore, I'm sure they'll find a way to blame it on the Democrats, Soros, Bill Gates and Chinese bioweapon labs.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

They're basically the "Moab Truthers" and "Ameristanis" from the latest Neal Stephenson novel.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Remember that most national leaders have had big jumps in their approval rating. Trump even had a small bump. So the fact that his current approval is "where it always was" is a pretty stark negative outcome.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

People have made up their minds about Trump. If they already liked him they figure "he's been doing the best he or anyone else could do," and if they're out-and-out NeverTrumpers they figure "a good president would have handled matters much better."

I think those opinion polls, at least the generic approval/disapproval polls are cast in cement at this point.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Guys. I think I'm cured. I'm basically not reading any news and .... I feel great. It also has conferred some kind of immunity to me. I saw something just 10 minutes ago about Trump rage quitting a press conference and I felt no desire to see him run off stage like a child.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
11 May 2020, 21:43
Guys. I think I'm cured. I'm basically not reading any news and .... I feel great. It also has conferred some kind of immunity to me. I saw something just 10 minutes ago about Trump rage quitting a press conference and I felt no desire to see him run off stage like a child.
Congratulations!
May your achievement serve as an example to others.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
11 May 2020, 19:59
People have made up their minds about Trump. If they already liked him they figure "he's been doing the best he or anyone else could do," and if they're out-and-out NeverTrumpers they figure "a good president would have handled matters much better."

I think those opinion polls, at least the generic approval/disapproval polls are cast in cement at this point.
That's largely but not entirely true. His approval rating does fluctuate. Just not a lot.

And he did have a small but substantial bounce back in like late March. It was just small and very temporary.

But yes, base partisanship makes all the effects more marginal.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I was going to post that I hadn't been paying enough attention to the news and had missed what Obamagate was actually about. But it seems like Trump hasn't bothered to specify?
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

It's about him being black. You're welcome.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Ellie wrote:
12 May 2020, 13:51
I was going to post that I hadn't been paying enough attention to the news and had missed what Obamagate was actually about. But it seems like Trump hasn't bothered to specify?
You know what the crime is
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Highway

Post by Highway »

Obviously it was what led to the Bowling Green Massacre.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Highway wrote:
12 May 2020, 14:32
Obviously it was what led to the Bowling Green Massacre.
Frederick Douglass is being recognized more and more for his role in exposing that.
--D.A. Ridgely

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Lay off the snarky jokes, Thoreau; the Bowling Green Massacre is NO LAUGHING MATTER. My boyfriend*, the rich sexy Chippendale-dancer astronaut, nearly DIED there.

*You don't know him. He hangs out at a different forum. It's in Canada.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Yes, but he only "nearly" died. He didn't actually die. The Lysol Injectables in the medic packs saved his life.
--D.A. Ridgely