Orange is the new President

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 29695
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by thoreau »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 16:48
You gotta embrace the entropy man! Look deep into that abyss. No way it will gaze back at you.
Entropy, ennui, who the fuck cares?
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 16:54
Is someone seriously arguing that Trump isn't a liar on grounds that he either doesn't know what he's saying or doesn't care whether he's telling the truth? If so, is that a linguistic claim, a psychological claim, a legal claim, an ethical claim and, perhaps more importantly, what is the practical effect of drawing that distinction?
I dunno what the practical effect is, but some people sure want to make that distinction.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 25537
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Jennifer »

Even if he can't or won't be reckless with America's nukes, that still leaves a hell of a lot of other weapons and personnel to be reckless with.

Plus he's caused plenty of non-military problems, like forcing states to bid against each other for scarce medical equipment. Or implementing the thoroughly vile "family separation" policy taking kids from their parents and selling them. I mean, "shunting them out to private, for-profit adoption agencies with good connections."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 8564
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Pham Nuwen »

That's the spirit, Thoreau.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 25537
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Jennifer »

I almost have to admire the mental flexibility of the Trump supporters who simultaneously believe "We should reopen America because this virus is no threat to the public health" and "We should support Trump's immigration ban because this virus is a major threat to the public health." Though even that is downright rigid compared to the flexibility required for them to believe Trump's new claim that he held no rallies in February or March.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 8125
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Shem »

Warren wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 15:55
Shem wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 15:41
He actually does.
No. What he has is authority. But he doesn't control anything. And being the stranger to reality that he is, ain't nobody gonna go firing off nukes on his say so. Did Muller report in vain?
So, are all those border camps just an emergent phenomenon of the US-Mexico border? I mean, I grasp your argument, but saying that the President doesn't have the power to fuck things up because other people are ultimately the ones doing the fucking on his orders seems more than a little facile.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29406
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Warren »

Shem wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 20:21
Warren wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 15:55
Shem wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 15:41
He actually does.
No. What he has is authority. But he doesn't control anything. And being the stranger to reality that he is, ain't nobody gonna go firing off nukes on his say so. Did Muller report in vain?
So, are all those border camps just an emergent phenomenon of the US-Mexico border? I mean, I grasp your argument, but saying that the President doesn't have the power to fuck things up because other people are ultimately the ones doing the fucking on his orders seems more than a little facile.
Those orders were carried out because they didn't significantly depart from existing policy. Camps were built, immigrants rounded up, families torn asunder, orphans sent back to countries they left as infants and have no memory of, all these things were done by all previous, and presumably less insane, administrations.

Trump has fucked things up, but there's a limit to how fucked up he can fuck things.
The greatest lasting damage of the first Trump administration is almost certainly going to be the Money Printer Go Brrrr going on right now, sailing through Congress with bipartisan support.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 18418
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by lunchstealer »

Shem wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 20:21
Warren wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 15:55
Shem wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 15:41
He actually does.
No. What he has is authority. But he doesn't control anything. And being the stranger to reality that he is, ain't nobody gonna go firing off nukes on his say so. Did Muller report in vain?
So, are all those border camps just an emergent phenomenon of the US-Mexico border? I mean, I grasp your argument, but saying that the President doesn't have the power to fuck things up because other people are ultimately the ones doing the fucking on his orders seems more than a little facile.
Not least because his people listen to him and a bunch of them are CBP and ICE and petty cops with Punisher decals and "You're Fucked" etched into their M-4s. And he's got his finger on the pulse of a chunk of the nation and what he says reinforces their attitudes, and their attitudes are already fuck everything nothing is true except reading is for fags and the four-eyes and nerds are trying to fuck us real merkins over. That's not an attitude you want reinforced at that level.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19964
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Image

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 18418
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by lunchstealer »

When I first saw that I was thinking, ok that's a bit over the top but as this shit has gone on I'm a bit well y'know they've got a point.

Especially after learning that they are in fact using mass graves in NYC for COVID patients whose bodies go unclaimed. TBF they've used them before as it's basically their pauper's cemetery but still.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 14704
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Eric the .5b »

We're within a few days of hitting 50K deaths. Among other things, it's more people dying—in the last couple of months—than who died of AIDS in the US in the worst year of that epidemic.

We've hit the point where it's hard to get over-the-top.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 8564
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Pretty sure we are over the 50k death mark already, bro.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19964
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

5,107 by JMU site. Over 25% of the deaths worldwide.

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 25537
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Jennifer »

US currently at 52,185 dead, according to Worldometers.

Ever since I've been looking, we have never had a day where the number of "recovered" is at least twice that of the dead.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 14704
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Eric the .5b »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 20:04
Pretty sure we are over the 50k death mark already, bro.
NYT was saying 46k with around 5k in NYC untested dead believed to have had it. Of all the other bullshit, I didn't want Hugh or Painboy getting loudly bent out of shape that I'm trying to inflate the corpse pile or something.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 29695
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by thoreau »

They tried to warn him in January but he refused to to listen.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19964
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

GODDAMMIT, TRUMP! DON'T MAKE ME HAVE TO ROOT FOR THE FUCKING VIRUS, YOU CANKEROUS SHITHEAD!

Image

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16866
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 20:17
GODDAMMIT, TRUMP! DON'T MAKE ME HAVE TO ROOT FOR THE FUCKING VIRUS, YOU CANKEROUS SHITHEAD!

Image
Why COVID-19 is better than Donald Trump:
1) It brought China to a standstill.
2) It put a stop to Chinese imports.
3) It did more damage to Iran.
4) It effectively decreased immigration.
5) It adapted more quickly to a developing situation.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 8125
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Shem »

Aresen wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 20:35
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 20:17
GODDAMMIT, TRUMP! DON'T MAKE ME HAVE TO ROOT FOR THE FUCKING VIRUS, YOU CANKEROUS SHITHEAD!

Image
Why COVID-19 is better than Donald Trump:
1) It brought China to a standstill.
2) It put a stop to Chinese imports.
3) It did more damage to Iran.
4) It effectively decreased immigration.
5) It adapted more quickly to a developing situation.
Are you saying the Libertarian Party should name Covid-19 as their Presidential candidate?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 29695
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by thoreau »

Look, I don't care how much you praise COVID-19, I'm still voting for SMOD.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19964
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 10:25
Look, I don't care how much you praise COVID-19, I'm still voting for SMOD.
COVID, SMOD, who the fuck cares?

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 8564
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Some of us want to go out quickly. Not suffer and suffocate, DAR. Damn masochist.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29406
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Warren »

I want to be eaten first.
Image
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19325
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Hugh Akston »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 20:17
GODDAMMIT, TRUMP! DON'T MAKE ME HAVE TO ROOT FOR THE FUCKING VIRUS, YOU CANKEROUS SHITHEAD!

Image
FWIW This one is not on Trump.
In short, the website WhiteHouseGiftShop.com is truly selling COVID-19 commemorative coins. However, although this website may have a historical connection to the White House, is it not currently affiliated with the president, the United States government, or the White House.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19964
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote:
02 May 2020, 15:34
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 20:17
GODDAMMIT, TRUMP! DON'T MAKE ME HAVE TO ROOT FOR THE FUCKING VIRUS, YOU CANKEROUS SHITHEAD!

Image
FWIW This one is not on Trump.
In short, the website WhiteHouseGiftShop.com is truly selling COVID-19 commemorative coins. However, although this website may have a historical connection to the White House, is it not currently affiliated with the president, the United States government, or the White House.
Ummmm, yes and no.

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19325
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Hugh Akston »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
02 May 2020, 16:01
Hugh Akston wrote:
02 May 2020, 15:34
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 20:17
GODDAMMIT, TRUMP! DON'T MAKE ME HAVE TO ROOT FOR THE FUCKING VIRUS, YOU CANKEROUS SHITHEAD!

Image
FWIW This one is not on Trump.
In short, the website WhiteHouseGiftShop.com is truly selling COVID-19 commemorative coins. However, although this website may have a historical connection to the White House, is it not currently affiliated with the president, the United States government, or the White House.
Ummmm, yes and no.
When we reached out to Anthony Giannini, the owner of WhiteHouseGiftShop.com, he confirmed to us that the “White House is not selling coronavirus coins” and that the White House Gift Shop “is not affiliated with The White House, nor is The White House involved in any of our decisions, products, or operations.”
WhiteHouseGiftShop.com has a long and convoluted history that can reportedly be traced back to the Truman administration in the 1940s. Giannini told us that this gift shop program has gone through several iterations over the years and over time has become further removed from the U.S. government. In 2012, Giannini says, ownership of the White House Gift Shop was officially transferred to his corporation and in 2016 he was awarded a trademark for the White House Gift Shop name.
While the WhiteHouseGiftShop.com may trace its history back to the 1940s, and while this organization may have been at one time affiliated with the U.S. government, as of this writing in 2020, the WhiteHouseGiftShop.com is a privately run website with no official connections to the White House.
Sorry to post stuff that you definitely already read when I linked to the article the first time, but less savvy readers than you and I might mistake the amateurish marketing materials at your link for the whole story, and thus might wrongly infer that your response meant to imply some kind of ambiguity in the ownership and decision making of these coins, which clearly isn't the case.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Post Reply