Orange is the new President

thoreau

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by thoreau »

CNN came up with the most perfect headline ever written.

Trump is self-isolating at his safe space: Fox News
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Highway

Post by Highway »

Why do people seem to credulously take Trump's "No one could have ever..." statements as anything more than Trump trying to minimize the fact that tons of people were saying whatever they relate to, and he just didn't listen? He's said it over and over again the whole time he's been in the spotlight as a candidate and President.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Because people are idiots, and they will forgive anything if he manages to exasperate libruls.

The commoners never should have been given the vote.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Highway wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 13:19
Why do people seem to credulously take Trump's "No one could have ever..." statements as anything more than Trump trying to minimize the fact that tons of people were saying whatever they relate to, and he just didn't listen? He's said it over and over again the whole time he's been in the spotlight as a candidate and President.
I was thinking about this today, in the context of Trump downplaying COVID-19. My Trumpy mother-in-law was all over Facebook mocking people for "overreacting" before suddenly changing her tune (and then posting lots of memes shaming people for not staying inside enough to protect The Olds). I'm sure her self-protective reaction would be to say that no one could ever have expected it to get as bad as it got, so she was behaving sensibly the entire time. And thus she'll grant Trump the same convenient blind eye, because forgiving him is forgiving herself.

I suspect the same thing is happening every time Trump does his "no one could have known" song and dance. His followers take their cues from him, and so they let him off the hook because otherwise they have to admit they themselves were idiots.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

thoreau wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 13:23
Because people are idiots, and they will forgive anything if he manages to exasperate libruls.

Give the likes of Baldric the vote and it'd be back to cavorting druids, death by stoning, and dung for dinner.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lunchstealer wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 13:29
thoreau wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 13:23

Give the likes of Baldric the vote and it'd be back to cavorting druids, death by stoning, and dung for dinner.
You mean the newest Member of Parliament for Dunny-on-the-Wold?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

So now my Trumpy mother-in-law is sharing Facebook posts along the lines of, "If the country wasn't prepared for COVID, it's because we spent all those millions of dollars on investigations and impeachment! It's not Trump's fault! He's doing a great job! He would have gotten us ready sooner if you weren't distracting him with all these investigations!"

Sports bar über alles.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Related:
Orwell’s over-referenced these days, but I can’t think of a better word for a lot of this than “doublethink.”
Trump is...
Totally in charge and not responsible at all.
Astutely taking on China and innocently duped by China.
And, as always, both tough leader and poor victim.
--D.A. Ridgely

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Ellie wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 08:42
So now my Trumpy mother-in-law is sharing Facebook posts along the lines of, "If the country wasn't prepared for COVID, it's because we spent all those millions of dollars on investigations and impeachment! It's not Trump's fault! He's doing a great job! He would have gotten us ready sooner if you weren't distracting him with all these investigations!"

Sports bar über alles.
Have you asked this clueless bimbo why Trump himself spent so much time claiming it was a hoax?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Jennifer wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 14:20
Ellie wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 08:42

Sports bar über alles.
Have you asked this clueless bimbo why Trump himself spent so much time claiming it was a hoax?
Clueless bimbo aside, while Trump has said multitude of stupid things recently (and through most of his presidency) he did actually not say that.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump ... y-remark/
What's True
During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu.

What's False
Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Yes, on the one point of Trump not calling the virus a hoax but calling Democrats' supposed use of the virus against him, his supporters are correct. In the grand scheme of things I think the point is irrelevant, but we should still strive to stick to the facts even if no one else seems to be interested in doing so.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 20:39
Yes, on the one point of Trump not calling the virus a hoax but calling Democrats' supposed use of the virus against him, his supporters are correct. In the grand scheme of things I think the point is irrelevant, but we should still strive to stick to the facts even if no one else seems to be interested in doing so.
Man what forum do you think you're on?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 14:16
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
We all stick to the facts. It's just that we all have alternative facts.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Warren wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 14:21
Hugh Akston wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
I guess that true. A fact is one of those things you just make up and then state confidently, even arrogantly, right?
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 14:30
Warren wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 14:21
Hugh Akston wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
I guess that true. A fact is one of those things you just make up and then state confidently, even arrogantly, right?
There you go being all rhetorical again.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

One thing that genuinely does mystify me, with no snark: Trump is one of the least masculine, least adult people in public life. Needy, whiny, defensive, pleading, scared of women, terrified of more powerful men.
I am at a loss about why his base sees him as manly or strong.
--D.A. Ridgely

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 23:24
One thing that genuinely does mystify me, with no snark: Trump is one of the least masculine, least adult people in public life. Needy, whiny, defensive, pleading, scared of women, terrified of more powerful men.
I don't find it mystifying at all. From what I've seen, the more a guy tries to project 'alpha male tough guy', the more likely he is to be whiny, needy, and defensive.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Aresen wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 00:12
thoreau wrote:
I don't find it mystifying at all. From what I've seen, the more a guy tries to project 'alpha male tough guy', the more likely he is to be whiny, needy, and defensive.
Right, but why do so many people not see it?
--D.A. Ridgely

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

thoreau wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 00:17
Aresen wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 00:12
thoreau wrote:
Right, but why do so many people not see it?
Because seeing it in him would require them to see similar flaws in themselves (or at least require them to realize "I got taken in by THIS?")
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

thoreau wrote:
Scared of women?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Andrew wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 10:18
thoreau wrote:
Scared of women?
Well a) he's scared of everybody, and 2) he does direct some fairly ugly comments both at particular women and women in general.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I just cant wait for him to be out of office so he can betray everyone that bent the knee.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 11:23
I just cant wait for him to be out of office so he can betray everyone that bent the knee.
Why wait? He's been betraying everyone all along.

OTOH once he's out, everyone can start betraying him.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT