Orange is the new President

Aresen

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 18:13
Aresen wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 17:40
Considering the ages of Trump, Biden and Sanders, there is a decent chance that the 2020 election will be a 'Get 2 presidents for the price of 1 election.'
And nobody in his right mind wants Pence as our bonus president.
However, plenty of people in their far right minds do. :shock:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Painboy wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 17:54
Warren wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 15:56
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 13:56
I have to say it couldn't happen at a better time than the last year of Trump's first and hopefully last term.
Because the next guy is going to be so much better.
I agree that there probably wouldn't be that much of a difference on the whole, but if the GOP is ever going to get a little less dumb having Trump lose the election would be ideal. Getting kicked out of office by the country should lessen his influence in a way serving another term won't. He needs to be repudiated.
Unless it is a landslide loss (GOP gets <43% popular vote or <200 EC votes) I don't think the GOP will reset.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Painboy wrote:
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
I have to say it couldn't happen at a better time than the last year of Trump's first and hopefully last term.
I agree that there probably wouldn't be that much of a difference on the whole, but if the GOP is ever going to get a little less dumb having Trump lose the election would be ideal. Getting kicked out of office by the country should lessen his influence in a way serving another term won't. He needs to be repudiated.
And Trump's base will abandon him once he's a loser. So they'll go back to prepping for the race wars.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo »

2024 DJTJ will run on “stabbed in the back + coronavirus “. You heard it here first.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Aresen wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 18:34
Painboy wrote:
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Unless it is a landslide loss (GOP gets <43% popular vote or <200 EC votes) I don't think the GOP will reset.
Oh I don't think the GOP will reset or anything. More like very slightly nudged in a better direction. I'll take what I can get. At the very least Trump won't have actual governmental power to hold over other politicians forcing them to work with him if they want to get anything done.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Painboy wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 20:35
At the very least Trump won't have actual governmental power to hold over other politicians forcing them to work with him if they want to get anything done.
What I am more concerned about is the Trump voters continuing to have a death-grip on the GOP after Trump leaves office - the way Grover Norquist had for a long time.

I don't think that will change unless Trump gets knocked down hard and his 'reverse coat-tails*' take down a number of GOP senators and representatives with him.

* I say 'reverse coat-tails' because I don't think any Blue candidate has the positive appeal to boost the chances of down-ticket candidates, but Trump hate might also manifest in vengeance on the GOP in general.**

**If there is God, he can prove it by making Mitch McConnell lose.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I don’t think junior has a shot at power.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo »

The only way the GOP resets is if Trump AND McConnell loses. If it's just Trump and the Senate then it can be waved off as just bad tweets. McConnell going down would be a refutation of the bare-knuckled tactics. That said, this is highly unlikely to happen unless the bottom falls out for the GOP.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Do mean McConnell is out of the Senate entirely (extremely unlikely given where Kentucky is now) or just no longer majority leader (maybe a 50/50 chance) (which is much higher than what I would have had it a month or two ago)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo »

I mean out of the Senate. He can lose majority leader in a very ordinary loss (CO, AZ, ME and one of NC/IA/MT assuming AL flips back). Losing his seat is a repudiation of McConnell himself

Highway

Post by Highway »

I agree that the only real repudiation of the current R behavior would be the loss of McConnell. I don't know that anyone exemplifies the current "the only thing that matters is that we always win and they always lose" behavior more than he does, with the stonewalling for a year of Garland and the stonewalling of hundreds of federal judge confirmations while it was the 'wrong' guy nominating them, the prioritization of confirmation of those same judges when it was the 'right' guy nominating them (even when some of them are just unbelievably unqualified), the ridiculous farce of the impeachment trial (I realize that it's a political process, and it's going to be beholden to some whims, but when it's "Yeah, we all know he's guilty of this stuff, but fuck you, I don't think that it's important to actually have any facts, so tough"), and the general "doesn't matter what anyone but me and my guy thinks" attitude.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I've been saying for a while now that regardless of candidate, Team Blue needs to run against McConnell more than Trump. Never mention Trump without also mentioning McConnell. The guy has no charisma, nobody loves Congress, it pushes the we've-got-to-take-the-Senate narrative, and if Trump was going to be taken down by "Trump is a fucknut" he would've been already. But if you want a villain who's more susceptible to real attacks, it's McConnell.

Not that I'd love what a Team Blue senate would do, but McConnell needs to lose hard if we want to have anything like a sane gov't.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Highway

Post by Highway »

lunchstealer wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 12:52
I've been saying for a while now that regardless of candidate, Team Blue needs to run against McConnell more than Trump. Never mention Trump without also mentioning McConnell. The guy has no charisma, nobody loves Congress, it pushes the we've-got-to-take-the-Senate narrative, and if Trump was going to be taken down by "Trump is a fucknut" he would've been already. But if you want a villain who's more susceptible to real attacks, it's McConnell.

Not that I'd love what a Team Blue senate would do, but McConnell needs to lose hard if we want to have anything like a sane gov't.
I think that message also has a chance to galvanize a lot of the "eh, I like Sanders but don't really like Biden" or "I like Biden, but don't like Sanders" or "I liked Warren/Booker/Klobuchar/Bloomberg/Booty, but they're not in the race anymore, so why should I vote?" voters, since the real 'damage' is being done by the unfettered firehose of Trump-stamped Federalist Society judges being confirmed by the Senate. It's not just the SCOTUS, although that's important.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I hate to say it but Biden bearing Bernie soundly then winning in general is more or less what I’d like to see happen. I a want a defeat of populists in both parties.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JasonL wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 07:46
I hate to say it but Biden bearing Bernie soundly then winning in general is more or less what I’d like to see happen. I a want a defeat of populists in both parties.
Let's just hope Biden's home-care workers are able to handle that 3 AM call when the President gets trapped in a broom closet he thought was the situation room.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 09:30
JasonL wrote:
Let's just hope Biden's home-care workers are able to handle that 3 AM call when the President gets trapped in a broom closet he thought was the situation room.
Politics is the art of ... you know the thing!

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 09:32
Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 09:30
JasonL wrote:
Politics is the art of ... you know the thing!
LOL I do! I know the thing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

It is weird that Trump keeps doubling down on his "Sleepy Joe" insult. Where did that one even come from? Of all the weird/stupid/mockable shit about Biden, "sleepy" doesn't feature from what I can see.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

JD

Post by JD »

Ellie wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 10:20
It is weird that Trump keeps doubling down on his "Sleepy Joe" insult. Where did that one even come from? Of all the weird/stupid/mockable shit about Biden, "sleepy" doesn't feature from what I can see.
I agree it doesn't make much sense, but it seems like a pretty typical bully's tactic to me. He chooses some random insult, his hangers-on start gleefully repeating it, and pretty soon even people who didn't have a dog in the fight know about the label.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

JD wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 10:31
Ellie wrote:
I agree it doesn't make much sense, but it seems like a pretty typical bully's tactic to me. He chooses some random insult, his hangers-on start gleefully repeating it, and pretty soon even people who didn't have a dog in the fight know about the label.
Team JD. It's a grade-school put down.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

His politics aside, Biden's not a bad guy and he doesn't strike me as someone with, by political standards, so big an ego that he'd be unwilling to hire and rely upon people with expertise, i.e., the Deep State, which is fine with me if the alternative is four more years of Trump.

Mo

Post by Mo »

Ellie wrote:
Creepy rhymes, has the same cadence, number of syllables and makes more sense.
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 10:58
His politics aside, Biden's not a bad guy and he doesn't strike me as someone with, by political standards, so big an ego that he'd be unwilling to hire and rely upon people with expertise, i.e., the Deep State, which is fine with me if the alternative is four more years of Trump.
He seems like he's most interested in doing the glad handling, back slapping and high level horse trading aspects of politics and letting his team work out the policy details.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Mo wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 12:12
Ellie wrote:
Creepy rhymes, has the same cadence, number of syllables and makes more sense.
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 10:58
He seems like he's most interested in doing the glad handling, back slapping and high level horse trading aspects of politics and letting his team work out the policy details.
And even where he does do policy stuff, it's rarely based on some completely bizarre counter-factual that he just pulled out of his ass because he wanted it, and when it is a counter-factual it's just a conventional-wisdom-that's-actually-wrong type of counter-factual, eg pot = gateway.

With the conventional-wisdom counter-factual there's at least some hope of presenting a solid case that the conventional wisdom is indeed wrong. With the ego-driven imaginary facts guy, he's absolutely impervious to actual evidence and the only persuasion is going to be via a stroke-the-ego method, eg Kim Kardashian getting Trump at least momentarily interested in prison reform.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Unsurprisingly, the narcissist-in-chief wants his own hotels to be bailed out with coronavirus money.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-t ... 90bc4cdddf
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 12:55
Unsurprisingly, the narcissist-in-chief wants his own hotels to be bailed out with coronavirus money.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-t ... 90bc4cdddf
If things really go down the hole, I want the government to execise eminent domain and sieze all the Trump hotels for use as emergency hospitals.