Orange is the new President

JasonL

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by JasonL »

I used to be a skeptic of EC reform but you guys have talked me into almost complete meh one way or the other. I don't think it matters that much.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 17:34
Speaking for myself, the invocation of EC in the context of the above sounded to me like there was some previous time when EC wasn't important but now that it is we have to care about it and net approval doesn't even matter. I don't know if net approval ever had high correspondence with election outcomes, but I can say that to the extent it ever mattered EC was still present at that time.
There's nothing wrong with the EC. Doing away with it would be a thousand times worse in a close race.
Plus all the whining about how the EC winner got fewer total votes in a race where no one got a majority of votes somehow invalidates their victory is infantile.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JasonL wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 18:07
I used to be a skeptic of EC reform but you guys have talked me into almost complete meh one way or the other. I don't think it matters that much.
You don't think it will result in Blue victory forever or it will but it doesn't matter?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Used to fear it would, now don't think it would.

Mo

Post by Mo »

If the EC deviates too much/for too long from the PV, it will have large downstream legitimacy issues if parties remain ideologically locked.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 18:24
Used to fear it would, now don't think it would.
Of course it wouldn't. Keeping the electorate focused on Dems vs Reps is how the establishment runs things. When times are bad, people are going to throw out whichever team is in power. The winning teams will change even just with the pendulum. But the game is the game.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Mo wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 18:02
When Texas goes the slightest bit blue tinted and causes an EC/PV split in favor of the Ds, the EC will be an abomination
NRO headline in November 2028: "The Founders never intended for a party of the coasts to dominate Real Americans from the Great Plains! Get your coastal elitist hands off my corn subsidies!"
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 18:32
If the EC deviates too much/for too long from the PV, it will have large downstream legitimacy issues if parties remain ideologically locked.
1. There's nothing more "legitimate" about prioritizing the PV over the EC.
B. "Ideologically locked"? I can't detect any ideology in either major party that endures past a single senate term.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Warren wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 18:35
1. There's nothing more "legitimate" about prioritizing the PV over the EC.
In one sense you are absolutely right: Popular pluralities have no inherent right to rule over everyone else.

In another sense, you need a system with broad buy-in, and if the most powerful office in the land frequently goes to a person who failed a criterion that applies in literally every other election, you'll see a breakdown of buy-in. That's bad.

Yes, yes, maybe they should all just read the Federalist Papers and pretend that we haven't had two and a half centuries of experience since then, but I don't think they'll do either the reading or the pretending.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Mo wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 18:02
When Texas goes the slightest bit blue tinted and causes an EC/PV split in favor of the Ds, the EC will be an abomination
You fucking know it.

(It's funny to me that both Gore and Clinton had minions go on news programs before their elections to try to remind people that the EC is the law of the land, out of their campaigns' fears that they might win the EC but not the popular vote. Both for the ridiculous miscalculations involved and the fact that yes, that happening in either case would have lead to a Team Red crusade for popular presidential vote.)

I still wouldn't mind keeping the EC if-and-only-if becoming president required both winning the EC and the popular vote, even if that required going back to the polls one or more times because none of the first-round candidates won. I think that would better accomplish some of the popularly-claimed benefits of the EC (broad appeal among the states, preventing dipshit demagogues, etc.) than going by it alone.

Otherwise, though, junk the EC.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Eric the .5b wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 18:42
I still wouldn't mind keeping the EC if-and-only-if becoming president required both winning the EC and the popular vote, even if that required going back to the polls one or more times because none of the first-round candidates won. I think that would better accomplish some of the popularly-claimed benefits of the EC (broad appeal among the states, preventing dipshit demagogues, etc.) than going by it alone.

Otherwise, though, junk the EC.
Co-signed.
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren »

And everybody flips their position when the Dems win the EC but lose the popular.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Warren wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 19:38
And everybody flips their position when the Dems win the EC but lose the popular.
Tu Quoque doesn't cut it, but when was the last time the Blues won the EC and lost the popular vote?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Aresen wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 19:56
Warren wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 19:38
Tu Quoque doesn't cut it, but when was the last time the Blues won the EC and lost the popular vote?
1960, arguably.

Otherwise, although 1888 and 1876 both went to Republicans, back then the Republicans were New England liberals.
--Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I personally don’t think it matters but I do think support for popular only is about 75% belief that it will be permanent donkey governance and it would evaporate 2 elections of republicans later in favor of some other theory about how donkeys are perpetually cheated out of real power.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JasonL wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 20:16
I personally don’t think it matters but I do think support for popular only is about 75% belief that it will be permanent donkey governance and it would evaporate 2 elections of republicans later in favor of some other theory about how donkeys are perpetually cheated out of real power.
I'll buy that
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 21:13
JasonL wrote:
I'll buy that
Sounds about right.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

JasonL wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 17:34
Speaking for myself, the invocation of EC in the context of the above sounded to me like there was some previous time when EC wasn't important but now that it is we have to care about it and net approval doesn't even matter. I don't know if net approval ever had high correspondence with election outcomes, but I can say that to the extent it ever mattered EC was still present at that time.
Cool. Could you explain why you had to be so fucking snide about it, though?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo »

JasonL wrote:
Ds still pushed NPV even post-2004 where, but for a close Ohio election, the EC/PV split almost went the other way.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

There’s probably an alternate universe in which donkeys get popular vote system they want and immigrant Catholics become the decisive bloc that topples national sentiment on RoevWade. I wouldn’t want to live there but I’d visit to point and laugh for a minute or two.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Is there anything, anything at all, that can be improved about the system as it currently exists? Or do we live in the best of all possible status quos?
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren »

thoreau wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 09:44
Is there anything, anything at all, that can be improved about the system as it currently exists? Or do we live in the best of all possible status quos?
We could chose our political leaders by lottery.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Warren wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 09:50
thoreau wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 09:44
We could chose our political leaders by lottery.
In the Shirley Jackson sense, one hopes

Mo

Post by Mo »

The constitution is whatever Trump says it is according tot Republican appointed judges part 450

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/3 ... ges-109550

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Legally, the President can do whatever he wants. It's part of the evolving Constitution, the same one that let Obama continue the Libya intervention without Congressional approval.

If you disagree with this then you are trying to undermine the rule of law and replace it with your own dictatorial whim.
--Mo