Orange is the new President

Ellie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Ellie » 10 Sep 2019, 15:55

Seen on Twitter (@SirajAHashmi):
Trump: "Hey John, can you come in here a sec? Shut the door."

Bolton: "What can I do for you, Mr. President?"

Trump: "John, I mustache you for your resignation."

Bolton:
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Aresen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Aresen » 10 Sep 2019, 15:56

nicole wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 12:07
Bye bye, Bolton

At least I can say Trump has done something I approve of this week.
Mo wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 12:25
National Security Advisors for this administration should just wear red shirts from here on out.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Sep 2019, 16:51

Says it all.
CNN Headline Wrote wrote:John Bolton was fired, and the price of oil instantly fell
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Sep 2019, 20:33

Mo wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 12:25
National Security Advisors for this administration should just wear red shirts from here on out.
Chicken Dinner.jpg
Chicken Dinner.jpg (84.59 KiB) Viewed 695 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Sep 2019, 20:42

Oddly, I don't 'blame' Trump for the possibility of a recession:

A majority of Americans think a recession will strike in the next year — and they're blaming Trump's trade war
The Business Insider wrote:Americans have grown increasingly concerned that the trade war with China will tip the economy into a recession within the next year, undermining a core source of support for President Donald Trump as he campaigns for reelection.

Six in 10 Americans in an ABC News/Washington Post poll released Tuesday said they think a recession is likely in the next year. The same amount said they were concerned that US tariffs on thousands of Chinese products over the past year would raise prices at home. About 43% said they think trade policies have increased the chance of a recession.
We have had a very long growth cycle and sooner or later, a recession was bound to happen. I just don't think governments can really do much to promote growth. (They can, however, really fuck things up.)

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Sep 2019, 22:06

Trump wanted to give a certificate to a guy who supposedly fought back during the Walmart shooting in El Paso. Two problems:

1) Store security cameras showed that he guy didn't fight like he claimed.

2) When he showed up at the White House the Secret Service arrested him for an outstanding warrant.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... hite-house

Seems about right for this administration.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Sep 2019, 04:48

Aresen wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 20:42

A majority of Americans think a recession will strike in the next year — and they're blaming Trump's trade war
The Business Insider wrote:Americans have grown increasingly concerned that the trade war with China will tip the economy into a recession within the next year, undermining a core source of support for President Donald Trump as he campaigns for reelection.

Six in 10 Americans in an ABC News/Washington Post poll released Tuesday said they think a recession is likely in the next year. The same amount said they were concerned that US tariffs on thousands of Chinese products over the past year would raise prices at home. About 43% said they think trade policies have increased the chance of a recession.
We have had a very long growth cycle and sooner or later, a recession was bound to happen. I just don't think governments can really do much to promote growth. (They can, however, really fuck things up.)
Economic expansions don't die of old age (see Australia). Prior to Trump, I always said credit/blame to presidents for the economy was overstated. But Trump's trade war and the random uncertainty he's providing for companies definitely give him a good deal of blame. I mean the fact that JPMC, hardly ground zero for the Resistance, has created a Trump specific volatility index shows that he's having a negative economic impact.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Sep 2019, 10:14

Mo wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 04:48
Aresen wrote:

Economic expansions don't die of old age (see Australia). Prior to Trump, I always said credit/blame to presidents for the economy was overstated. But Trump's trade war and the random uncertainty he's providing for companies definitely give him a good deal of blame. I mean the fact that JPMC, hardly ground zero for the Resistance, has created a Trump specific volatility index shows that he's having a negative economic impact.
Which so far is offset by his positive deregulation impact.
I see the coming recession deepened/lengthened by the trade war, but primarily the result of the business cycle and overheated stock market.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 11 Sep 2019, 13:40

Warren wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 10:14
Mo wrote:
Aresen wrote:

I see the coming recession deepened/lengthened by the trade war, but primarily the result of the business cycle and overheated stock market.
I don't see how you can figure out any offset cost. The trade war is terrible and he needs to quit fucking around and negotiate an actual deal. This is easily one of the worst things about his administration. There's absolutely no reason for it.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Sep 2019, 16:14

The one good thing I can say about Trump's trade war triggering a recession is that it will do more to defeat him on Nov 3, 2020 than any number of children dying the detention centers.

Shem

Post by Shem » 11 Sep 2019, 16:31

Painboy wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 13:40
The trade war is terrible and he needs to quit fucking around and negotiate an actual deal. This is easily one of the worst things about his administration. There's absolutely no reason for it.
He can't negotiate a deal, because he's not doing it to wring concessions out of the Chinese. It's being done so he can play the tough guy to his base, who have spent the past 25 years being told China is the sole reason they don't have the sorts of jobs they want. There are absolutely concessions he can provide that would be beneficial to the US, but outside of the ag sector, almost none of them would accrue to the people he's trying to impress.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 11 Sep 2019, 16:42

Shem wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 16:31
Painboy wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 13:40
The trade war is terrible and he needs to quit fucking around and negotiate an actual deal. This is easily one of the worst things about his administration. There's absolutely no reason for it.
He can't negotiate a deal, because he's not doing it to wring concessions out of the Chinese. It's being done so he can play the tough guy to his base, who have spent the past 25 years being told China is the sole reason they don't have the sorts of jobs they want. There are absolutely concessions he can provide that would be beneficial to the US, but outside of the ag sector, almost none of them would accrue to the people he's trying to impress.
I know exactly why he's doing it. I just want him to stop.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Sep 2019, 17:39

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:
Aresen wrote:

Name 5 regulations eliminated that have an impact within an order of magnitude of the trade war impact.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Sep 2019, 18:13

Mo wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 17:39
Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:
Aresen wrote:

Name 5 regulations eliminated that have an impact within an order of magnitude of the trade war impact.
LOL it's not 5, it's 5,000. Or more accurately it is the regulatory environment of the EPA, FDA, and FCC that has become far less onerous under Trump. New startups and new business models are being introduced with less red tape hurdles.
If it's not a more business friendly regulatory environment, then what do you credit the expanding economy in the face of his trade war to?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 11 Sep 2019, 18:32

So that’s a, “I don’t know, but the teevee said it.” Yes, it’s totally less onerous to have the FCC come after your company because Trump doesn’t like what your company says about the president. And the EPA regs have done nothing to stave off coal plants shutting down (and more have shut down under Trump than under Obama). Not to mention the car companies want nothing to do with his fuel efficiency standards, so now in a fit of pique the DoJ is investigating them for signing onto a California environmental agreement.

Sugar rush of tax cut. Exports are a relatively small proportion of GDP. Higher oil prices driving more of the domestic oil and gas industry. The dip in growth under Obama came when the floor fell out of oil prices. The growth under Trump was less than it was in 14-15 under Obama.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Sep 2019, 18:42

Tax cuts are a "sugar rush"? Growth in 14-15 was from a much lower starting point.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Sep 2019, 18:43

Also it feels like the gov't telling you who you can sell to under what conditions counts as a regulation.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Sep 2019, 23:18

"We’re not rounding people up or anything yet. You guys in the media get too ahead of yourselves."

Yet.

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Sep 2019, 01:59

Warren wrote:Tax cuts are a "sugar rush"? Growth in 14-15 was from a much lower starting point.
Tax cuts into a steep deficit near the top of the business cycle is definitely a sugar rush. Basically the only output that came from those tax cuts was stock buybacks, business investment following the tax cuts has been flat. Also, ‘14 was 6 years after the economic expansion so it’s not like those years were growth from the trough of the business cycle.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Sep 2019, 10:30

Mo wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 01:59
Warren wrote:Tax cuts are a "sugar rush"? Growth in 14-15 was from a much lower starting point.
Tax cuts into a steep deficit near the top of the business cycle is definitely a sugar rush. Basically the only output that came from those tax cuts was stock buybacks, business investment following the tax cuts has been flat. Also, ‘14 was 6 years after the economic expansion so it’s not like those years were growth from the trough of the business cycle.
I think the bigger issue is "What are you gonna do when the recession hits?" You already have trillion-dollar deficits and interest rates are near zero*. Just what tools are you going to have?

*I know they are talking about negative interest rates, but how negative are you going to go before people start putting money in socks?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Sep 2019, 10:50

Aresen wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 10:30
*I know they are talking about negative interest rates, but how negative are you going to go before people start putting money in socks?
When Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are set free, people will flock to invest in the housing market. Housing prices have never gone down, you know.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Sep 2019, 21:58

And all along I thought it was little Kim...

Trump asked for ‘my favorite dictator’ at meeting with Egyptian president: report
President Trump raised eyebrows at last month's G-7 summit in France when he reportedly asked for Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi by calling him a "dictator".

“Where’s my favorite dictator?” Trump is said to have asked in a room full of American and Egyptian officials, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The outlet reported that while the question was intended as a joke, it was met by “stunned silence” from officials.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Sep 2019, 11:48

I told you the pee tape is real!
SECRET SERVICE JET SKIS- US Secret Service is ordering jet skis for its agents. In part, because of Mar-a-Lago and the Trump family's affinity for "water sports"
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Sep 2019, 13:17

lololololololol

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Sep 2019, 13:17

It kind of looks like I typed "loo loo loo." Which is also pee adjacent!