Orange is the new President

thoreau

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by thoreau » 03 Sep 2019, 10:13

I'm sure that there is some technicality by which this doesn't violate the Emoluments Clause, so I won't use any word that rhymes with "Mmm. Peach mint."

But I will say:
1) Fuck, look at this map.
2) I have to think that Dublin, being a capital city, must have hotels suitable for visiting delegations with security needs.

But, again, I'm sure that this doesn't violate any rules.
Screenshot_20190903-070823.jpg
Screenshot_20190903-070823.jpg (52.49 KiB) Viewed 300 times
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Sep 2019, 11:28

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Sep 2019, 11:54

thoreau wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 11:28
Nice commentary:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2019 ... ption.html
"Look! Over there! It's Hillary! Lock her up!"
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Sep 2019, 12:26

Yeah, I think emoluments is the way to get the guy if he's going to be got. Getting pretty brazen.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2019, 12:57

JasonL wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 12:26
Yeah, I think emoluments is the way to get the guy if he's going to be got. Getting pretty brazen.
It's pretty straight forward. The evidence isn't just someone's story, and appears to be over the line even if you're not predisposed to get him. Even if he isn't "got", just having hearings has been enough to cripple past presidents. It would certainly take over the news cycle. The only question is if there's the political will to move on it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Sep 2019, 13:01

Warren wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 12:57
JasonL wrote:
It's pretty straight forward. The evidence isn't just someone's story, and appears to be over the line even if you're not predisposed to get him. Even if he isn't "got", just having hearings has been enough to cripple past presidents. It would certainly take over the news cycle. The only question is if there's the political will to move on it.
Related to political will is the issue of attention span. Within a few days he's going to be caught in some other act that may or may not cross everyone's line but will certainly look bad, and then he'll tweet something, and then there will be some scandal involving an underling, then another crazy tweet, then he'll tell a racist joke while meeting some foreign minister, then something from the detention facilities, then a story about some extramarital affair, and, wait, what was the topic again?

He's done numerous things that would have subjected other presidents to, at a minimum, crippling hearings. But each one gets upstaged by the next.

Say what you will about Hillary Clinton, but one reason the email story was so big is that she had relatively few other scandals that had gotten attention. Whether that's because she was relatively clean (by political standards) or because Teh Librul Media just wouldn't talk about her other scandals, the email scandal could stay front and center and hold attention.
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2019, 13:39

thoreau wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 13:01
Say what you will about Hillary Clinton, but one reason the email story was so big is that she had relatively few other scandals that had gotten attention.
You're funny
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Sep 2019, 13:43

Warren wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 13:39
thoreau wrote:
Say what you will about Hillary Clinton, but one reason the email story was so big is that she had relatively few other scandals that had gotten attention.
You're funny
What else besides Benghazi and email got significant media attention in 2015-2016?
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Sep 2019, 16:43

thoreau wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 13:43
Warren wrote:
thoreau wrote:
You're funny
What else besides Benghazi and email got significant media attention in 2015-2016?
Did you not get the memo? Everyone in Clinton's circle who died of anything other than natural causes at age eighty-something was murdered as part of the nefarious conspiracy.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2019, 16:48

thoreau wrote:
Warren wrote:
thoreau wrote:
You're funny
The Clinton Foundation.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 03 Sep 2019, 16:59

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
The problem is it might get lost in the din of all the other stuff. This is why all those trying to turn every little thing Trump does into a national scandal isn't always helpful. It's possible many people are just going to tune it out.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2019, 17:08

Painboy wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 16:59
Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
The problem is it might get lost in the din of all the other stuff. This is why all those trying to turn every little thing Trump does into a national scandal isn't always helpful. It's possible many people are just going to tune it out.
That's a solvable problem, if a committee convenes and the chairman keeps the scope to "What did the President take and when did he take it".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Sep 2019, 17:55

Warren wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 16:48
thoreau wrote:
Warren wrote:
thoreau wrote:
You're funny
The Clinton Foundation.
Fair enough, but the media paid far less attention to that than the emails. I think it's a mix of liberal media bias and establishment media bias (the Clinton Foundation is pretty much the definition of status quo centrist).

Even so, Clinton had only 2 other major* scandals besides the emails. That made it possible for the media to stay focused. It's not like they had a constant barrage of distractions from the emails.

*We can debate whether Benghazi deserves to be a major scandal, but the GOP treated it as such.
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2019, 18:07

Or maybe the media loved HC and hates DT
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Sep 2019, 18:18

Warren wrote:Or maybe the media loved HC and hates DT
Lolwut
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Sep 2019, 19:03

They didn’t love her compared to her husband or BHO but it’s like how Bengals fans feel about Andy Dalton.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Sep 2019, 19:09

Mo wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 07:44
Jesus Christ, could it be any more obvious that Trump is just using this administration as a grift to enrich himself? Who the fuck would ever stay in Doonbeg for meetings in Dublin for any non-grifty rational reason?
If I were to spin this, I would say that all these arangements were made when Trump himself was supposed to make the trip, and it's too late to change all the advance team's work.

But instead they're going with 'that's Pence's ancestral home'.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Sep 2019, 00:23

Warren wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 18:07
Or maybe the media loved HC and hates DT
Assuming you are talking about the MSM, the first part is dubious but the second part is definitely true.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Sep 2019, 13:13

This take on Trump's graft comes from a Republican who spent years investigating the Clintons.

https://thebulwark.com/trumps-doonbegdoggle/
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Sep 2019, 15:44

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 04 Sep 2019, 15:48

I saw a story today (can't find the link right now) regarding a US toy company president who is not moving manufacturing out of China because, as he put it, how do we know Trump's animus isn't going to swing somewhere else next month? Since it doesn't seem to be based on anything very rational, how do we know that next month or next year he won't decide that India or Vietnam is a problem?
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Sep 2019, 17:45

Jennifer wrote:
As evidence that I am not looking for any excuse to impeach Trump for violating 18 U.S.C. §2074.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Sep 2019, 23:42

If Trump can pull this off, I could forgive a lot.

As U.S. outlines draft Taliban deal, Pentagon chief provides few details

I still want him gone, but I'd have to give him credit for doing what neither W nor O did.

(I don't for a minute think the Taliban will keep to the deal, but GTFOOA.)

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Sep 2019, 17:21

If we elect Elizabeth Warren president we may have an administration that uses the power of the federal government to attack companies that displease her.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/justice-de ... 1567778958

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Sep 2019, 13:18

He's trying to get the Ukrainian government to help him against Joe Biden.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... qniTHwRxvP
--Mo