Orange is the new President

Shem

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Shem » 25 Jul 2019, 16:57

lunchstealer wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 15:57
Aresen wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 15:19
Is it unlibertarian to carry out capital punishment on Telemarketers and Internet Scammers, if it is done privately?

I'm asking for a friend.
That's defense of self or other. It's what the 2nd Amendment is there for.
I thought the Second Amendment was there to keep the King of England from pushing me around.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Shem

Post by Shem » 25 Jul 2019, 16:59

Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 15:53
Shem wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 14:46
Hugh Akston wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 14:06
nicole wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 10:55
Most libertarian blah blah

Sorry, has anyone anywhere referred to Bill Barr or Trump generally as the most libertarian anything?
Yes.
How about anybody with an iota of libertarian credibility?
Nobody has any libertarian credibility. That's the only thing libertarians agree on.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Jul 2019, 17:02

Shem wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 16:59
Hugh Akston wrote:
Shem wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
nicole wrote:

Sorry, has anyone anywhere referred to Bill Barr or Trump generally as the most libertarian anything?
Yes.
Nobody has any libertarian credibility. That's the only thing libertarians agree on.
Fair enough
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Jul 2019, 17:05

FWIW, here are the 5 people scheduled for execution up to January. It's rather difficult to build sympathy for any of them unless you ignore the possibility that one or more of them could be innocent.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Jul 2019, 17:08

Shem wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Shem wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
nicole wrote:

Yes.
What qualifies you to offer such generalizations about libertarians?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jul 2019, 17:33

Hugh Akston wrote:
Shem wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
nicole wrote:

Yes.
Libertarian credibility? Does it frolic in meadows with pixies and unicorns?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Jul 2019, 17:35

Shem wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 16:57
lunchstealer wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 15:57
Aresen wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 15:19
Is it unlibertarian to carry out capital punishment on Telemarketers and Internet Scammers, if it is done privately?

I'm asking for a friend.
That's defense of self or other. It's what the 2nd Amendment is there for.
I thought the Second Amendment was there to keep the King of England from pushing me around.
Are you saying George wasn't a telemarketer?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Jul 2019, 19:52

Aresen wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 17:05
FWIW, here are the 5 people scheduled for execution up to January. It's rather difficult to build sympathy for any of them unless you ignore the possibility that one or more of them could be innocent.
Your phrasing is confusing. Did you mean "consider the possibility"?

Myself, I don't think libertarianism requires rejecting the death penalty. I think it requires rejecting the idea that the American state and federal justice systems are competent to mete out the death penalty in anything like a just manner.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 25 Jul 2019, 23:38

Alfred Bourgeois
A plan to kill Bourgeois? Maybe Trump's a commie after all.

eta - more seriously, I'm curious why some of these are federal cases. (though the first guy makes the most sense, an Oklahoman killing a family in Arkansas to set up a white nation in the Pacific Northwest, so a lot of interstate stuff)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jul 2019, 00:26

Eric the .5b wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 19:52
Aresen wrote:

Myself, I don't think libertarianism requires rejecting the death penalty. I think it requires rejecting the idea that the American state and federal justice systems are competent to mete out the death penalty in anything like a just manner.
Yeah. Bad phrasing. What I meant to suggest was that while the crimes were horrific, there always exists the possibility that the accused is innocent. I think this is even more likely with sensational crimes, where the cops and prosecutors are under pressure to 'make someone pay.'
Kolohe wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 23:38
I'm curious why some of these are federal cases. (though the first guy makes the most sense, an Oklahoman killing a family in Arkansas to set up a white nation in the Pacific Northwest, so a lot of interstate stuff)
IIRC and without going back to look, most of them involved crossing a state line or something like that. I suspect there was some 'jurisdiction shopping' in an effort to find a death-penalty-friendly judge.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Jul 2019, 06:59

Aresen wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 00:26
Eric the .5b wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 19:52
Aresen wrote:

Yeah. Bad phrasing. What I meant to suggest was that while the crimes were horrific, there always exists the possibility that the accused is innocent. I think this is even more likely with sensational crimes, where the cops and prosecutors are under pressure to 'make someone pay.'
Yeah, that's when people get railroaded.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Jul 2019, 08:19

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jul 2019, 16:56

I really think it's an improvement

In fact, I think it should be used for all POTUS going forward.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 28 Jul 2019, 02:05

Shem wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
nicole wrote:

Yes.
Also former Broward County LP chairman Alex Vidal who now works for Roger Stone and Milo, and also A_R at some point...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jul 2019, 18:26

The world where it’s actually relevant for members of the Wu Tang Clan to comment on State Department business is far less fun than expected.
It wasn’t immediately clear why Trump dispatched a diplomat charged with advocating for hostages. Fellow rapper RZA (RIHZ’-uh) of the Wu-Tang Clan told The Associated Press on Friday he was concerned about A$AP Rocky and “disappointed that a judge cannot discern that this is not a man you hold hostage.”
https://apnews.com/7ae4a9d93a2a49b69d3b ... SocialFlow
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 30 Jul 2019, 20:05

Hey man. Wu tang ain't nothing to fuck with.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 31 Jul 2019, 19:46

The Prosecutors who lost the case against SEAL Eddie Gallagher (who I released from solitary confinement so he could fight his case properly), were ridiculously given a Navy Achievement Medal. Not only did they lose the case, they had difficulty with respect....
This is one of those things thats such a level of penny ante bullshit, it's actually hillarious (since it's happening to someone else)

This is like the CEO of McD's recinding some franchise's award of employee of the month.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 31 Jul 2019, 19:51

Kolohe wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 19:46

The Prosecutors who lost the case against SEAL Eddie Gallagher (who I released from solitary confinement so he could fight his case properly), were ridiculously given a Navy Achievement Medal. Not only did they lose the case, they had difficulty with respect....
This is one of those things thats such a level of penny ante bullshit, it's actually hillarious (since it's happening to someone else)

This is like the CEO of McD's recinding some franchise's award of employee of the month.
President Snowflake has decided taking away someone's participation trophy is a suitable punishment. It's the most apropos thing he's ever done.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 31 Jul 2019, 20:50

DoD hands out so many phony baloney medals and awards that even I have several.

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Aug 2019, 10:50

Shem wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 19:51
Kolohe wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 19:46

President Snowflake has decided taking away someone's participation trophy is a suitable punishment. It's the most apropos thing he's ever done.
In fairness, part of the award was for "exceptional witness preparation" and yet they lost the case because one of their witnesses lost them their case because he decided to pull off the too cartoonish for Law and Order, "The real killer was .... me!" right after he received immunity.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Aug 2019, 15:37

That whole case stunk to high heaven. And of course Trump is happy for the murderer who walked.

As usual Trump isn't making sense. He's criticizing the prosecution for getting him the result he wanted anyway.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Shem

Post by Shem » 02 Aug 2019, 23:39

To even put him on trial might give future murderers pause before they massacre civilians. He can't stand that.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Aug 2019, 00:04

Um, you don't get to keep your immunity if your testimony deviates materially from the statement you signed to get the deal.

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Aug 2019, 13:31

Does that apply to testimonial immunity as well?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Aug 2019, 13:38

Mo wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 13:31
Does that apply to testimonial immunity as well?
I don't understand the question. Obviously, Andrew would be better suited to answer such questions, but my understanding is that an immunity deal is predicated on the testimony given in court comporting in all material respects with whatever statement the witness signed as part of the deal. Modern discovery being as inclusive as it is, there aren't any Perry Mason moments in a criminal trial unless someone screwed up in a much bigger way than "lost my commendation" would imply.