Orange is the new President

Pham Nuwen

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Pham Nuwen » 17 Jul 2019, 22:21

Is it anything like America's Finest News Source?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Jul 2019, 22:34

Sort of a serious version of it but with more murica flavored bath salts.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2019, 23:35

The Trump rally turned into an anti-Ilhan Omar rally, complete with chants of "Send her back!"

I agree with Balko's take: "This is chilling shit. The idiot is going to get people killed."

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jul 2019, 06:13

Pham Nuwen wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 22:21
Is it anything like America's Finest News Source?
It's a non-ironic Patriothole.
dhex wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 22:20
Omar married her brother is a new level for that yutz.
I mean even "serious" conservatives like Charles Cooke are covering it under the "just asking questions" cover.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 19 Jul 2019, 00:39

Warren wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 11:08
I've been dismissive about impeachment. It's a leftist fever dream that ignores political realities and has been fueled by a sort of aggressive self delusion about what crimes the president has committed.
I'm happy to give Amash a standing ovation for falling on his sword, but not for a moment did I think anyone would follow him.

That said, it is distressing that political realities have brought a GOP with a significant "never Trump" faction to close ranks behind his banner. And with each new scandal it must be more and more uncomfortable to be a sitting member of the Republican Party.

2020 (Where's my sealab!) will be a... "on year"(?) election year. All the focus will be on the POTUS race, but I'll be more interested in how congress shakes out.
Serious Question: If there's no point in impeaching Trump, even if it means no conviction in the Senate, is there any reason to even have impeachment provisions in the Constitution? Or more succinctly, what would any hypothetical next President have to do to get impeached?

And if the Democrats really mean what they say about investigations being a duty in an oversight capacity, shouldn't they go through with it anyway, even if it means uncertain effects on their 2020 election calculations?

I mean, fuck, if I'm going to ride this trust fall into dystopia I might as well get to see impeachment hearings in my lifetime...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Jul 2019, 00:53

Taktix® wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 00:39
I mean, fuck, if I'm going to ride this trust fall into dystopia I might as well get to see impeachment hearings in my lifetime...
Did you sleep through the Clinton years?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Jul 2019, 00:57

First, there's truly no point in impeaching a president if it's a given ahead of time the Senate won't vote to remove him. Second, I have lived to see impeachment hearings and, as entertaining as they were, they did more harm than good. Third, they'd do more harm than good now. That could change, but as matters stand a failed impeachment wouldn't weaken Trump, it would embolden him.

Truly, the perfect end game in my opinion at this point is for Trump to win the popular vote and lose in the Electoral College. That would almost literally be orgasmic.

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2019, 06:06

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 00:57
First, there's truly no point in impeaching a president if it's a given ahead of time the Senate won't vote to remove him. Second, I have lived to see impeachment hearings and, as entertaining as they were, they did more harm than good. Third, they'd do more harm than good now. That could change, but as matters stand a failed impeachment wouldn't weaken Trump, it would embolden him.

Truly, the perfect end game in my opinion at this point is for Trump to win the popular vote and lose in the Electoral College. That would almost literally be orgasmic.
I question your second and third points. Without the impeachment hearings, we likely would have seen president Gore. The impeachment hearings forced the Gore campaign to distance themselves from the Clinton years, which was 8 years of peace and prosperity.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Jul 2019, 08:12

Mo wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 06:13
dhex wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 22:20
Omar married her brother is a new level for that yutz.
I mean even "serious" conservatives like Charles Cooke are covering it under the "just asking questions" cover.
Gah. Trump is grasping at straws.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Jul 2019, 11:22

Team Ridgely. At least until Nov 3, 2020.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2019, 15:37

I am amazed at how much more weight a fucking OLC memo is given in comparison to stuff actually written in the constitution.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Jul 2019, 15:39

Mo wrote:I am amazed at how much more weight a fucking OLC memo is given in comparison to stuff actually written in the constitution.
Apparently you weren't around for the GWOT or the Kinetic Military Action in Libya.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2019, 15:45

At least those had the patina of having supporting legislation. The OLC memo is basically the executive branch version of “The Supreme Court rules that the Supreme Court rules.”

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Jul 2019, 15:57

Yeah I really don't get why anyone takes it seriously? I mean especially anyone outside government. It's like...lololol.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Jul 2019, 16:42

You take seriously the thing that helps you do what you want and don't take seriously the thing that says you can't do what you want.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Jul 2019, 16:46

Someone should indict him while he's standing up. Problem solved.

Mo

Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2019, 17:22

JasonL wrote:You take seriously the thing that helps you do what you want and don't take seriously the thing that says you can't do what you want.
Yeah, pretty sure Barr leaned hard on SDNY for that ruling.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 20 Jul 2019, 01:58

Warren wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 00:53
Taktix® wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 00:39
Did you sleep through the Clinton years?
Worse.

High school.
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Jul 2019, 14:16

Black lives do matter to Trump, as long as they're celebrities.

And, befitting the era of a TV star President:

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Jul 2019, 15:55

Who was I listening to recently? They said something like:
Celebrities are foolishly disparaging Trump. Not just because they overplay their hand, but they are throwing away such opportunities. Look at Kim Kardashian, she understands how to be a celebrity. Trump likes being seen with celebrities, he likes being around them. If you pick a fight with him he'll call you names, but if you cozy up to him and tell him how great he is, he'll give you whatever you ask for. Kim got people pardoned by schmoozing Trump. She accomplished something. Something not all that trivial. If instead of blasting trump on Twitter, all these leftist celebrities just stroked his ego a little bit they could get the kids out of the camps for the asking.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Jul 2019, 16:24

You actually have a point there, for once. If Trump had been given a cameo in Endgame he might have replaced half his Cabinet with Avengers.
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 20 Jul 2019, 16:51

thoreau wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 16:24
You actually have a point there, for once. If Trump had been given a cameo in Endgame he might have replaced half his Cabinet with Avengers.
More likely, we'd now have Attorney General Black Dwarf, Secretary of Defense Proxima Midnight, Secretary of the Treasury Corvus Glaive and Secretary of Homeland Security Ebony Maw.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Jul 2019, 16:55

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
thoreau wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 16:24
More likely, we'd now have Attorney General Black Dwarf, Secretary of Defense Proxima Midnight, Secretary of the Treasury Corvus Glaive and Secretary of Homeland Security Ebony Maw.
So, improvements, in other words?

At least until their boss makes a snap decision.
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Jul 2019, 17:28

If we told him that Scarlett Johansen is really Natasha Romanoff he'd probably appoint her as Secretary of State.
--Mo

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 20 Jul 2019, 18:01

Hey, there are many ACTUAL Russians out there who could play that role. How dare you be so culturally insensitive?
Perhaps the greatest loss of all is that we may never again live in a world free of hyperbole. --JasonL