Orange is the new President

Jennifer

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Jennifer » 30 May 2019, 18:31

I'm seeing both claims on Twitter (it's real, and it's fake), but what I haven't seen is clearly identifiable photos of the actual Trump visit showing where the USS McCain was relative to him, and if its name was visible. (I am seeing things like "photos of a Navy ship which can't be identified because its name on the gangplank is covered by a tarp," but of course I have no idea if that's actually the McCain, nor even if that's one the ships in Trump's line of sight during his visit.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 May 2019, 18:43

I, for one, eagerly await the commissioning of the USS Mueller, the USS Hillary and the USS Rosie O'Donnell.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 May 2019, 18:46

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
30 May 2019, 18:43
I, for one, eagerly await the commissioning of the USS Mueller, the USS Hillary and the USS Rosie O'Donnell.
Mueller would be an Aegis cruiser that doesn't shoot anything because it's a stickler for the rules of engagement, the Hillary would be a mail ship, and the O'Donnell would be a garbage scow?
Last edited by lunchstealer on 30 May 2019, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 May 2019, 18:47

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Nah. I want to see the USS Stormy Daniels. (*Something, something, midshipman.*)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 May 2019, 18:51

Jennifer wrote:
30 May 2019, 18:31
I'm seeing both claims on Twitter (it's real, and it's fake), but what I haven't seen is clearly identifiable photos of the actual Trump visit showing where the USS McCain was relative to him, and if its name was visible.
Yes, I would very much like to see such a photo.
Shem wrote:
30 May 2019, 18:21
STRONG SUSPICION: Some staffer noted that the McCain was nearby, and was terrified that Trump would see the name and start riffing on how horrible McCain was while overseas in one of his rambles, and asked the Navy to move the ship to keep that from happening.
That seems to be the spirit of the email. There's no sign that it's a direct presidential request, but the staffer definitely wants it.

I wonder what it would take for Secret Service to say "You know what? Screw you. They don't pay us enough to listen to your shit. We'll catch the next flight."
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 May 2019, 19:10

Aresen wrote:
30 May 2019, 18:47
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Nah. I want to see the USS Stormy Daniels. (*Something, something, midshipman.*)
AGB-6 USS Sansa Stark - Queen of the North.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 May 2019, 19:27

Shem wrote:
STRONG SUSPICION: Some staffer noted that the McCain was nearby, and was terrified that Trump would see the name and start riffing on how horrible McCain was while overseas in one of his rambles, and asked the Navy to move the ship to keep that from happening.
That's pretty much how I've been interpreting the story from the first reports.

Assuming it's true, naturally.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Trump is a F*****g Idiot

Post by Aresen » 30 May 2019, 20:51

Trump announces tariffs on all Mexico goods in latest anti-immigration measure
US President Donald Trump has announced tariffs on all goods coming from Mexico in a bid to curb illegal immigration.

In a tweet, Mr Trump said that from 10 June a 5% tariff would be imposed and would slowly rise "until the Illegal Immigration problem is remedied".

President Trump has declared a national emergency to tackle what he claims is a crisis at the US southern border.
Just how is Mexico supposed to do this?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 May 2019, 21:00

So, we'll buy fewer things from Mexico, hurting their economy, giving them more reason to leave.

But we'll also hurt our supply chains, destroying jobs here.

So everyone will just, what, sit on their hands and stew until he's gone?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Re: Trump is a F*****g Idiot

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 May 2019, 23:43

Aresen wrote:
30 May 2019, 20:51
US President Donald Trump has announced tariffs on all goods coming from Mexico in a bid to curb illegal immigration.

In a tweet, Mr Trump said that from 10 June a 5% tariff would be imposed and would slowly rise "until the Illegal Immigration problem is remedied".

President Trump has declared a national emergency to tackle what he claims is a crisis at the US southern border.
Pay for the wall?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Re: Trump is a F*****g Idiot

Post by Aresen » 31 May 2019, 00:24

Eric the .5b wrote:
30 May 2019, 23:43
Aresen wrote:
30 May 2019, 20:51

Pay for the wall?
:lol:

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 31 May 2019, 08:38

Fuck you Trump.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 31 May 2019, 10:04

Shem wrote:
My best guess for 'keep McCain out of sight' is 'we don't want to deal with stories of how this and all the other ships crashed a few years ago" and "we don't want to deal with stories of how this ship crashed a few years ago and is still in the shipyards"
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 31 May 2019, 14:17

Mo wrote:
29 May 2019, 05:01
The positive feedback Amash got at his town hall moves me from 5% chance of it happening to about 20%.
It needs to be zero. Impeachment will all but guarantee a second term.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 31 May 2019, 14:25

Honestly, I think we're kind of fucked no matter what. If he isn't impeached and removed, future Presidents will know that they can get away with all this shit. (OK, they kind of already knew, between Iran-Contra for Reagan and Bush the Elder, torture and WMD lies for Bush the Lesser, and the illegal Libyan war for Barack Augustus, but this will be final confirmation.) If he is impeached and removed, Team Red will just keep up with the tit-for-tat. If he's impeached but not removed, again, he'll be emboldened.

But if he's impeached, at least the history books will show that someone tried. I think there's no good way down off this, but I want the history books to show that some people at least tried. I want them to record that while there may not have been enough righteous people to save the modern Sodom and Gomorrah*, but there were at least a few who tried nonetheless.

*Our sins have nothing to do with the pleasures of the flesh and everything to do with war and empire.
--Mo

Shem

Post by Shem » 31 May 2019, 15:06

Number 6 wrote:
31 May 2019, 14:17
Mo wrote:
The positive feedback Amash got at his town hall moves me from 5% chance of it happening to about 20%.
If they pull a Ken Start and ramrod it through, yes. But if they use public hearings as a way to bring in people to make TV friendly sound bites, it might be the only thing that can destroy him. There's a reason Mueller talking penetrated Fox News in a way that the report never could have.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 31 May 2019, 15:44

Why would a Ken Starr scenario work out badly for the Democrats? Can someone remind me who won the 2000 election?
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 31 May 2019, 16:20

thoreau wrote:
31 May 2019, 15:44
Why would a Ken Starr scenario work out badly for the Democrats? Can someone remind me who won the 2000 election?
OTOH, Bush's 2000 win was decided by the Supreme Court, not the voters.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 May 2019, 16:38

Number 6 wrote:
Mo wrote:
Not sure how the impeachment hurt the Rs. The Ds lost in 2000 and they named the most vociferous anti-Clinton Dem in the Senate as their VP candidate.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 31 May 2019, 16:47

In 1868 the Republicans impeached Democrat Andrew Johnson. He was not removed, and later that year Republican Grant won. The Democrats would have impeached Nixon, and Carter subsequently won. The Republicans impeached Clinton and Bush won. Yes, he won a very narrow, controversial victory, but Republicans understand that winning is winning.
--Mo

Shem

Post by Shem » 31 May 2019, 16:57

Mo wrote:
31 May 2019, 16:38
Number 6 wrote:
Mo wrote:
Not sure how the impeachment hurt the Rs. The Ds lost in 2000 and they named the most vociferous anti-Clinton Dem in the Senate as their VP candidate.
The '98 midterms.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 May 2019, 16:58

The impeachment was initiated in December of 98, so not sure how voters punished them for that.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 31 May 2019, 17:03

The impeachment was a known plan in Nov. 1998 and the voters punished them for it with a loss of seats in Congress...which the GOP nonetheless retained control of. And in 2000 the GOP got control of the Presidency, which is arguably the only office that actually has real power these days.

But, then again, if Trump is impeached, Republicans might decide to play hardball politics and that would change EVERYTHING!
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 May 2019, 17:08

Using that logic, impeachment has been floated since well before the 2018 midterms and there was no negative impact.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 31 May 2019, 17:14

thoreau wrote:
31 May 2019, 16:47
In 1868 the Republicans impeached Democrat Andrew Johnson. He was not removed, and later that year Republican Grant won.
Not sure that one holds. Johnson was never elected POTUS. A Republican victory in 1864 was followed by a Republican victory in 1868.