Orange is the new President

Warren

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Warren » 29 May 2019, 10:29

Aresen wrote:
29 May 2019, 10:25
The Trumpentariat is in full control of the GOP and will never forgive him.
Trump is a populist. Populists rise and fall just as quickly. The GOP will clean house before he actually leaves office.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 May 2019, 16:48

Aresen wrote: I don't know if Team Blue is gutless so much as they see Trump as a useful foil to run against in 2020. If nothing else, he will motivate the Blue Base.
I think this is Pelosi’s calculus. Trump helps down ballot Ds. I think it’s a dangerous game. I also think the “impeachment help the president” thing is waaaaaaay oversold.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 May 2019, 16:54

Mo wrote:
29 May 2019, 16:48
Aresen wrote: I don't know if Team Blue is gutless so much as they see Trump as a useful foil to run against in 2020. If nothing else, he will motivate the Blue Base.
I think this is Pelosi’s calculus. Trump helps down ballot Ds. I think it’s a dangerous game. I also think the “impeachment help the president” thing is waaaaaaay oversold.
I don't know if impeachment would help Trump, but I am convinced a failed impeachment would only embolden him.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 May 2019, 17:04

No more than a re-election and no need to face the voters would. Though there is a good point to be made that you have one bite at the impeachment apple, so best to keep your powder dry in case he wins in 2020 and goes full crazy in term 2.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 May 2019, 17:31

Mo wrote:
29 May 2019, 17:04
No more than a re-election and no need to face the voters would.
If Trump wins in 2020, I'm moving to Canada. :P
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 May 2019, 18:04

Mo wrote:
No more than a re-election and no need to face the voters would. Though there is a good point to be made that you have one bite at the impeachment apple, so best to keep your powder dry in case he wins in 2020 and goes full crazy in term 2.
Yeah that’s where I am
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 May 2019, 18:18

Aresen wrote:
29 May 2019, 16:54
Mo wrote:
29 May 2019, 16:48
I don't know if impeachment would help Trump, but I am convinced a failed impeachment would only embolden him.
This, I agree with. On the other hand, keeping it, apparently, completely off the table with no intention of even trying to get the Senate on-board does nothing for the Blues at this point. In the meantime, they're undermining their own authority in Congress by letting Trump and his minions blow them off. It's, as Mo puts it, a dangerous game.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 May 2019, 18:25

If one wanted to put a positive gloss on the last several years, one could argue that the federal government is both so impervious and so broken already that it can withstand even an obviously unstable, unfit president, at least so far. Yes, he profited from Russian attempts to put the obviously weaker candidate in office but the U.S. has spent so long trying to meddle in Russian and practically every other nation's internal politics that I'm frankly not going to lose any sleep over that. Yes, he's a crook, self-interestedly using the office for his and his gilded empire's benefit, almost certainly a fraud and a tax cheat and there's always hope it catches up with him down the road, but even Trump can only steal so much. His immigration and trade policies suck and have hurt and continue to hurt many people, but he's far from the worst president we've had on that particular score. Mostly, he's unbalanced and his erratic behavior makes the U.S. less secure and threatens the economy but the worst thing that could happen at this point is something completely unhinging him while not removing him from office or, worse yet, helping him get reelected with an even bigger score to settle.

The Dems should concentrate on fielding a decent candidate and downplay impeachment based on what we know now and where the votes are if an impeachment went to the Senate for trial. I don't know if they have a decent candidate or if they can muster the self-restraint to keep their eye on the bigger picture, but giving Trump reason to believe he'd be stronger by starting another diversionary war in the Middle East sure as hell isn't the way to go.

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 May 2019, 18:30

Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:
Sadly, I can only extend my assignment one more year. Not sure if I prefer Trump or Rees Mogg.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 May 2019, 19:15

Warren wrote:
29 May 2019, 10:29
Aresen wrote:
29 May 2019, 10:25
The Trumpentariat is in full control of the GOP and will never forgive him.
Trump is a populist. Populists rise and fall just as quickly. The GOP will clean house before he actually leaves office.
Yes. Trumpism is 100% personality cult. It will disappear in 2024 if not before. There is no real loyalty within the party leadership to Trump or his agenda. There is no clear successor to take up the populist throne because Trump would have hectored him out of the party, and even the Reds who ran as Trumpy in the mid terms met with limited success.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 May 2019, 19:38

Aresen wrote:
29 May 2019, 17:31
Mo wrote:
I'm sleeping on your couch.

I made "I'm moving to Canada" jokes after Obama won but only after my company told me my job was moving to Ottawa and I was welcome to come with, but in Nov 2016 I started to kinda wonder if I wouldn't come to regret that. And I say that as someone who's had to endure Trudeau gushing from THIS side of the 44th parallel. Or whatever ... 54th? some parallel, anyway.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 29 May 2019, 20:25

lunchstealer wrote:
29 May 2019, 19:38
Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:

I made "I'm moving to Canada" jokes after Obama won but only after my company told me my job was moving to Ottawa and I was welcome to come with, but in Nov 2016 I started to kinda wonder if I wouldn't come to regret that. And I say that as someone who's had to endure Trudeau gushing from THIS side of the 44th parallel. Or whatever ... 54th? some parallel, anyway.
54 40 or fight dammit! Where is your patriotism!??!?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 May 2019, 20:46

Pham Nuwen wrote:
29 May 2019, 20:25
lunchstealer wrote:
29 May 2019, 19:38
Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:

54 40 or fight dammit! Where is your patriotism!??!?
About 54-40? It's frickin' traumatized, man.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/remember-inside ... 1552187271

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 May 2019, 21:23

White House staffers asked that the USS John McCain be kept out of sight during Trump's visit to a naval base.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-hous ... 1559173470

Yes, this genius is totally stable.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 May 2019, 22:18

thoreau wrote:
29 May 2019, 21:23
White House staffers asked that the USS John McCain be kept out of sight during Trump's visit to a naval base.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-hous ... 1559173470

Yes, this genius is totally stable.

I am just glad they are going back to Enterprise for CVN-80. If I could do it, CVN-79 would be Yorktown or Hornet instead of John F Kennedy.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 29 May 2019, 23:15

I have my doubts on the full veracity of the McCain story, and I don't think the aircrew patch thing is a big deal or a deal at all.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 May 2019, 23:45

Kolohe wrote:
29 May 2019, 23:15
I don't think the aircrew patch thing is a big deal or a deal at all.
I think the likeness of a sitting president on a military uniform is a very big deal. It had to be at the very least acquiesced to by the chain of command and that's a problem, too. The UCMJ requires no overt disrespect toward the Commander in Chief from anyone under its jurisdiction, but a patch with the likeness of the president constitutes compelled political speech in support of the person holding that office and that goes well beyond the respect required of service members and implicitly undue command influence.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 May 2019, 00:26

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
29 May 2019, 23:45
Kolohe wrote:
I don't think the aircrew patch thing is a big deal or a deal at all.
I think the likeness of a sitting president on a military uniform is a very big deal. It had to be at the very least acquiesced to by the chain of command and that's a problem, too. The UCMJ requires no overt disrespect toward the Commander in Chief from anyone under its jurisdiction, but a patch with the likeness of the president constitutes compelled political speech in support of the person holding that office and that goes well beyond the respect required of service members and implicitly undue command influence.
That's cute
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 May 2019, 08:16

I never expected to see conservatives argue, "Actually, covering up crimes shouldn't be illegal," but here we are.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 May 2019, 08:30

I hadn't looked that closely at the aircrew patch and didn't know it had a pic of Trump. That does change my opinion a bit. (It's a deal, but not the biggest deal)

Though the likeness on the patch does look more like Ted McGinley than Trump

I suppose that means the aircrew will be cancelled next season.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 May 2019, 10:02

Kolohe wrote:
30 May 2019, 08:30
I suppose that means the aircrew will be cancelled next season.
Or swear allegiance to the new Imperator-in-Chief.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 May 2019, 10:41

Kolohe wrote: I suppose that means the aircrew will be cancelled mid-season.
You can’t take Aircrew from me.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 May 2019, 15:52

thoreau wrote:
30 May 2019, 11:16
The strongest evidence that Russian meddling didn't matter is that Donaldik Fredovich now says it did.

Is it just me, or are his tweets becoming less coherent? It seems the stupid stuff he tweets now is less grammatic and understandable than it was in 2016. (The underlying stupidity remains the same, it just seems more addled.)

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 May 2019, 16:04

Kolohe wrote:
I have my doubts on the full veracity of the McCain story
FWIW, Trump believes that it happened, and that whoever was responsible was "well meaning."

The fact that Trump believes it is arguably the strongest evidence that the story is false.

EDIT TO INSERT LINK
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Shem

Post by Shem » 30 May 2019, 18:21

STRONG SUSPICION: Some staffer noted that the McCain was nearby, and was terrified that Trump would see the name and start riffing on how horrible McCain was while overseas in one of his rambles, and asked the Navy to move the ship to keep that from happening.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen