Orange is the new President

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Apr 2019, 20:33

Listening to POTUS (Politics of the United States) on XM earlier today, the topic was infrastructure. One caller noted someone had decided to spray-paint penises on highway potholes, a move that succeeded in getting them fixed with alacrity. And the guest told of a friend of his who complained the potholes on one stretch of interstate highway were so bad "they made me spill my good driving whiskey."

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Apr 2019, 20:47

thoreau wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 17:50
Pham Nuwen wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 17:33
Mo wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 17:04
Buckle up everyone. Infrastructure Week is back.
In the middle of all the investigations and subpoenas? Bold move on his part.
You libertarians all think that you can just have a low-speed chase of a White Ford Bronco without any public infrastructure because the market will provide. Not so. Not so at all. You need public roads for that Bronco to drive on. You need air traffic controllers so the news helicopters don't collide. You need cable TV and high-speed internet running on cables that cross property lines with the help of innumerable local, state, and federal laws.

You can't have high-profile televised scandals without a whole mess of government infrastructure. I would prefer that you simply said thank-you and went on your way. Otherwise, grab a shovel. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to.
If you've got breaking news, you didn't build that.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 01 May 2019, 23:07

Man, Bill Barr is really turning out to be one hell of a second season villain...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 01 May 2019, 23:41

Is that fancy people talk for Stephan Miller?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 May 2019, 06:04

Miller is Season 1.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 May 2019, 09:51

Mo wrote:
02 May 2019, 06:04
Miller is Season 1.
Ah. Sorry. I wasn't joking when I said elsewhere that I understand even less now that the Mueller Report has been released.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 May 2019, 14:36

Pham Nuwen wrote:
02 May 2019, 09:51
Mo wrote:
Miller is Season 1.
Ah. Sorry. I wasn't joking when I said elsewhere that I understand even less now that the Mueller Report has been released.
It basically says, "Shit was fucked up, but I can't find a smoking gun for Trump or his allies violating the letter of the law beyond what I've already prosecuted, but shit was fuuuuuuuuuucked up and Trump basically obstructed justice but I'm not sure that the constitution allows me to prosecute him so I'm not going to level charges I can't prosecute, but shit was fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked up." And Barr is saying, "See he's not prosecuting so Mueller totes said nothing is wrong and agrees that it was all witchhunt hoooray!."
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 May 2019, 15:03

Now, now, Lunchstealer, why are you saying that things aren't fine? Unless you have evidence in your hands proving beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime was committed, you should not say that things aren't fine. We're fine. Everything's fine here. How are you?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 May 2019, 17:58

thoreau wrote:Now, now, Lunchstealer, why are you saying that things aren't fine? Unless you have evidence in your hands proving beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime was committed, you should not say that things aren't fine. We're fine. Everything's fine here. How are you?

Stop trying to gaslight me with your hipster firefly references.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 May 2019, 18:05

For Jennifer.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 May 2019, 18:34

Mo wrote:
02 May 2019, 18:05
For Jennifer.

Ha! It's kind of sad that I recognized almost every Baby GIF in the response thread -- "Oh, yeah, THAT 'Baby in his highchair' image is from when Grandma Ethyl was telling him to behave. And THAT one was the first in-show introduction to 'His baby bottles are filled with meat rather than milk.' And THAT one...."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 03 May 2019, 11:18

Pham Nuwen wrote:
02 May 2019, 09:51
Mo wrote:
Miller is Season 1.
Barr is exhibiting a refined, inside-the-beltway version of Trump belligerence politics.

This was evident in his calm, borderline-sarcastic non-answers during the Senate hearing Wednesday, including a logical-sounding assertion that a president can cancel any investigation he deems to have been started with "false accusations" (nevermind that in the US all accusations are supposed to be considered not true until proven in court, which is why investigations exist).

Barr cupping his ear and telling Patrick Leahy to speak up when Leahy clearly had a sore throat shows Barr is fully committed to his role.

Miller is clearly a high-level henchman but is too one-dimensional (he only shows up in the episodes relating to immigration) to be a central villian...

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 May 2019, 11:34

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 May 2019, 16:25

Mo wrote:
Miller is Season 1.
It's like the Barksdale gang in that he'll be back in season 3.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 May 2019, 19:16

Kolohe wrote:
03 May 2019, 16:25
Mo wrote:
Miller is Season 1.
It's like the Barksdale gang in that he'll be back in season 3.
Oh, if only there was someone with as much savvy as Stringer Bell in the White House!

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 May 2019, 23:28

The White House has the advantage of being able to take notes on a mother fuckin criminal conspiracy, but preventing them from seeing the light of day.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 May 2019, 22:11

Small hands, big losses.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... taxes.html

Con man all the way.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 May 2019, 22:32

thoreau wrote:
07 May 2019, 22:11
Small hands, big losses.

Con man all the way.
Not to belittle the story, but this is today's least surprising news, considering that his business bankruptcies were a matter of public record.

Trump's presidency is proof you can fool at least 40% of the people all of the time.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 May 2019, 00:41

Aresen wrote:
07 May 2019, 22:32
thoreau wrote:
07 May 2019, 22:11
Small hands, big losses.

Con man all the way.
Not to belittle the story, but this is today's least surprising news, considering that his business bankruptcies were a matter of public record.

Trump's presidency is proof you can fool at least 40% of the people all of the time.
As Maverick's ol' Pappy used to say, "Bret, you can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, and those are pretty good odds."

Mo

Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 08 May 2019, 15:38

The fact that the man kept getting loans and had contractors do work for him is the best critique of libertarian economic theories ever constructed.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 May 2019, 23:10

Mo wrote:
08 May 2019, 15:38
The fact that the man kept getting loans and had contractors do work for him is the best critique of libertarian economic theories ever constructed.
And the fact that he got elected president is the strongest argument for libertarian political theories.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 May 2019, 23:18

Hugh Akston wrote:
Mo wrote:
And the fact that he got elected president is the strongest argument for libertarian political theories.
You are both correct.

--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 May 2019, 03:26

Hugh Akston wrote:
Mo wrote:
Can’t argue with that.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 May 2019, 23:32

Mo wrote:
09 May 2019, 03:26
Hugh Akston wrote:
Mo wrote:
Can’t argue with that.
Yes you can.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 11 May 2019, 11:46