Orange is the new President

thoreau

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by thoreau » 06 Jan 2019, 11:52

The Wall was conceived as a way of helping Trump remember that he is supposed to talk about immigration, since he likes bragging about construction projects.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartande ... came-from/

The ease with which this man child can be manipulated is depressing.
"just build a quantum foam wall and make the tardigrades pay for it."
--Hugh

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jan 2019, 11:55

thoreau wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 11:52
The Wall was conceived as a way of helping Trump remember that he is supposed to talk about immigration, since he likes bragging about construction projects.

You misspelled hilarious.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Jan 2019, 12:29

Warren wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 11:55
thoreau wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 11:52

You misspelled hilarious.
I'll go with frightening.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 07 Jan 2019, 08:37

it's his version of every good boy deserves fudge.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Jan 2019, 09:42

I prefer King Phillip Came Over For Good Sex.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Jan 2019, 11:26

Mnemonics is a dear, dear friend.

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Jan 2019, 18:24

Considering many real mnemonics, those are barely parodic, :)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jan 2019, 18:46

Eric the .5b wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 18:24
Considering many real mnemonics, those are barely parodic, :)
I believe it's a parody of those mid-century educational film shorts and not so much the mnemonics.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 08 Jan 2019, 11:59

I'd be more tore up about Trump declaring a National Emergency and what not if we weren't already under, let's see, 28 active national emergencies, including one going on since Carter declared it in 1979. You'll pardon me if I don't think this is anymore of a constitutional crisis than the 90% of shit DC gets up to that isn't authorized by Article 1, Section 8.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Jan 2019, 12:08

tr0g wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 11:59
I'd be more tore up about Trump declaring a National Emergency and what not if we weren't already under, let's see, 28 active national emergencies, including one going on since Carter declared it in 1979. You'll pardon me if I don't think this is anymore of a constitutional crisis than the 90% of shit DC gets up to that isn't authorized by Article 1, Section 8.
I'd forgotten that. Obviously, we have to put 100% effort into every national emergency.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 08 Jan 2019, 12:17

I dug up a list (Fake News alert!) from late last year, and a majority of them focus on blocking property of various groups and governments. This implies (to me, anyway) that the blocking of property is something that is difficult/impossible to do under normal legislative or rule making procedures. Not sure why, but that's the impression I come away with.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Jan 2019, 12:19

Some parts of the internet says there's 31 active emergencies. (source is cnn with autoplay video so I'm not going to link it)

Trump already has 3, this would be no 4.

So ditto but even moreso.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Jan 2019, 12:50

Using these powers for an expensive construction project opposed by Congress does seem like an, um, creative use of authority.

OTOH, Blues who couldn't be bothered to complain (n.b. I wrote to my Congresswoman) about such creative notions as "kinetic military action" are in no place to complain about this, even though we REALLY NEED them to push back.

We're on our way to rule by decree, even on fiscal policy some day. Yes, yes, I'm aware that under the rules as written and currently understood that is impossible. Well, once upon a time a president couldn't just launch a war by calling it a kinetic military action. We're an empire now, and soon we'll have an Emperor. Probably not Trump, but some day.

--Hugh

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Jan 2019, 16:20

To be fair, we've been fighting undeclared wars since Adams Senior was president. (And then there's the de facto multi century war in North America between the peoples of European decent and those that got here somewhat earlier.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 08 Jan 2019, 18:34

tr0g wrote:I dug up a list (Fake News alert!) from late last year, and a majority of them focus on blocking property of various groups and governments. This implies (to me, anyway) that the blocking of property is something that is difficult/impossible to do under normal legislative or rule making procedures. Not sure why, but that's the impression I come away with.
What’s weird is most/many of those “Blocked Property” emergencies are also sanctioned countries/entities. I suspect there’s some esoteric reason why we need the emergency against Iran stacked on top of much harsher sanctions (I suspect related to enforcement).

The constitutional crisis isn’t the state of emergency, but the expropriation of private property of US citizens and overriding Article I spending powers in a bullshit manner. DACA was pretty marginal, but non-enforcement of the law is a pretty time honored tradition. In fact, that was the primary thing brought up by people who said Lawrence v. Texas was wrongly decided. Hey, sodomy laws aren’t enforced, so who cares?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Jan 2019, 22:06

This is perhaps something DAR actually knows something about, but the National Emergencies Act is under Title 50. Title 50 is all the war and national defense stuff so that's probably why it's mostly sanctions and the like.

(I vaguely remember seeing stuff about Title 10 and Title 50 authorities in various staff military jobs)

Eta- there used to be an entire chapter in the federal code about messing with US homing pigeons

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/50/chapter-7

Eta2 the pigeon thing wasn't repealled until 1990. It was just moved to title 18 in 1948.
Last edited by Kolohe on 08 Jan 2019, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Jan 2019, 22:23

A bunch of Blues online watching the speech crow about how Trump looks tired and as if his heart isn't in it, and how this is the beginning of the end.

I don't bother to point out that they were saying the same fucking thing in 2016. It's just too depressing.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 08 Jan 2019, 22:34

He did kinda look like the bump of Adderall he took before the speech didn't really get him to 100%, though.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 Jan 2019, 23:30

Shem wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 22:34
He did kinda look like the bump of Adderall he took before the speech didn't really get him to 100%, though.
Meth. You mean meth.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Jan 2019, 23:46

Pham Nuwen wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 23:30
Shem wrote:
Meth. You mean meth.
Or just a snort of classic coke.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Jan 2019, 23:50

Eric the .5b wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 23:46
Pham Nuwen wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 23:30
Shem wrote:
Meth. You mean meth.
Or just a snort of classic coke.
It's the Real Thing©.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Jan 2019, 00:00

But isn't coke from Latin American countries and got here by crossing the border illegally? Whereas meth can be homemade right here in the good old US of A!
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Jan 2019, 00:09

Ellie wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 00:00
But isn't coke from Latin American countries and got here by crossing the border illegally? Whereas meth can be homemade right here in the good old US of A!
'Merica! Fuck yeah!
--Hugh

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 09 Jan 2019, 00:32

Ellie wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 00:00
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 09 Jan 2019, 00:40

Kolohe wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 22:06
This is perhaps something DAR actually knows something about...
High praise, indeed!