Orange is the new President

thoreau

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by thoreau » 17 Oct 2018, 02:47

Via Dungeons and Donalds, FYI.

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 17 Oct 2018, 12:23

Er, look about a half dozen posts up.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Oct 2018, 12:34

Er, look more closely.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Oct 2018, 12:55

Are thoreau's and lunchstealer's posts the same? I am terrible at those "spot the differences" games.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Oct 2018, 13:48

Lunchstealer and I posted the same picture; I just posted the tweet that it came from. I read Shem as saying that our picture is the same as the one a few posts previous, i.e. the original one. And I'm saying that there's a pretty big difference. Though I suppose that whether the difference is major or not is in the eye of the beholder.
--Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 17 Oct 2018, 14:09

thoreau wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 13:48
Lunchstealer and I posted the same picture; I just posted the tweet that it came from. I read Shem as saying that our picture is the same as the one a few posts previous, i.e. the original one. And I'm saying that there's a pretty big difference. Though I suppose that whether the difference is major or not is in the eye of the beholder.
It's definitely a role of the dice whether anyone notices.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Oct 2018, 17:28

*makes spot check*
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 17 Oct 2018, 23:09

thoreau wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 12:34
Er, look more closely.
Hard to see on a phone :oops:
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Oct 2018, 12:06

Wait, Heidi Cruz actually voted for Donald Trump?! Trumpalos be cray cray.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 18 Oct 2018, 12:09

Mo wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 12:06
The judgment of anyone who would marry Ted Cruz is inherently suspect.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Oct 2018, 12:13

tr0g wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 12:09
Mo wrote:
True.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Oct 2018, 08:14

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Oct 2018, 10:29

Mo wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 12:13
tr0g wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 12:09
Mo wrote:
True.
P sure marrying Ted Cruz takes you past suspicion and into proof territory.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Oct 2018, 11:37

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 08:14
I resent the inclusion of Machiavelli in that.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Oct 2018, 11:57

Meanwhile, Trump is praising the Congressman who assaulted a reporter:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/19/us/p ... ntana.html

Guys, I know that it isn't gryllpropriate to suggest that anything is in any way different or worse or more dangerous about the current situation, nor should one ever suggest that one party is in any way more dangerous than the other. But I'll be honest with you: When I look around the world at the countries where the heads of state encourage violence against journalists, I don't see places where I want to live. This is some dangerous shit that Trump is doing. Under the current circumstances I think there's a limit to how far he can go, but if there were a sufficiently dire crisis, all bets are off.

And, in case you're thinking of dismissing the concern, remember that Trump is an economic populist and some of his supporters want hand-outs. So the dangers are multi-faceted.
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Oct 2018, 12:49

Trump says shit. Stupid shit. Outrageous shit. Horrifying shit.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Oct 2018, 13:41

If someone can beat up a reporter, win office, maintain the support of his party and the president, and then win re-election, we are kind of screwed.
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Oct 2018, 15:26

thoreau wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 13:41
If someone can beat up a reporter, win office, maintain the support of his party and the president, and then win re-election, we are kind of screwed.
I'm also less-than-enthralled by the fact that his party invited the Proud Boys to New York City for their riot last week, in merely the latest recent example of said party openly aligning itself with outright white supremacists and no-Godwin neo-Nazis. (Though of course, it is bigoted, hyperbolic and wrong to suggest all Nazis are bad guys; as Trump himself pointed out, many of them are very fine people.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Oct 2018, 16:09

Yes, the racism of Trump himself is a problem, but the fact that party organizations are willing to follow his lead, and even go farther, is far more worrisome. Trump will eventually leave office, either due to term limits, impeachment, or coronary artery disease. But if the party infrastructure is shaped by him, and willing to treat brownshirts as respectable, we are in for much worse.
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Oct 2018, 16:26

thoreau wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 16:09
Yes, the racism of Trump himself is a problem, but the fact that party organizations are willing to follow his lead, and even go farther, is far more worrisome. Trump will eventually leave office, either due to term limits, impeachment, or coronary artery disease. But if the party infrastructure is shaped by him, and willing to treat brownshirts as respectable, we are in for much worse.
The Republicans' voter-suppression tactics are also cause for concern, IMO; they're going out of their way to disenfranchise those demographics with personal reasons to oppose white supremacists holding the reins of power. (In Georgia last week, a group of elderly black people were actually ordered off the bus taking them to vote. And the Republican Secretary of State, who is also the Republican gubernatorial candidate, has kicked something like 20 percent of all registered voters off the rolls in the past few years-- coincidentally, the overwhelming majority of those kicked off had "non-white" names. This is the same SofS who recently tried closing seven out of nine voting precincts in a majority-black district -- though he DID have to back down after a national media outcry. The same media which Trump calls the enemy of America.) They're barely even paying lip service to small-d democratic principles anymore.

Though of course, Democrats suck too and there is no legitimate reason for any member of the Gryll to think one party might be worse than the other.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Oct 2018, 16:36

I like how NR writers are defending Faith “The Jewish Question” Goldy and conservatives still wonder why people think they’re racists.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Oct 2018, 20:01

Hey, she's just asking a question. What's wrong with asking questions? It's not like they're offering a final solution or anything.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Oct 2018, 21:32

Jennifer wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 20:01
Hey, she's just asking a question. What's wrong with asking questions? It's not like they're offering a final solution or anything.
I'm feeling uncharitable today, so I'd kinda be OK with that, at least if they were going the Pere Ubu route and declaring themselves victims of natural selection...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Oct 2018, 22:33

Mo wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 16:36
I like how NR writers are defending Faith “The Jewish Question” Goldy and conservatives still wonder why people think they’re racists.
It really is unfair. Poor beleaguered GOP.

mrs lunch got a call from some GOP 'can we count on your support for Trumpy McGubernatorialcandidate and Congress McCumbent in November?

She was sad that I was out walking the dog and wasn't there to witness her tirade.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Oct 2018, 00:19

Mo wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 16:36
I haven't seen any pro-Goldy articles on the front page of NRO. Have you any links? (Not because I doubt you -- I don't for a second -- but I'm curious to see what excuses they're making for her.)