Orange is the new President

Mo

Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 03 Oct 2018, 18:40

The Yellowstone caldera is on the verge of erupting. Grab your ankles and kiss your butts goodbye. Those that survive will envy the dead.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Oct 2018, 18:48

Unlike every other phone in the restaurant, I didn't receive the alert.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Oct 2018, 18:52

If you get 15 minutes' warning that hundreds of nuclear missiles are headed toward the US, you could use that time to try getting closer to the blast zone in the hope that you'll be one of the lucky ones vaporized instantly, rather than spend a couple days hanging on before dying of your appalling radiation burns.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Oct 2018, 18:53

I didn't receive the alert, for whatever reason.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Oct 2018, 19:18

Semi-related: I recently watched the Tom Cruise "War of the Worlds" remake, and figure it was intended as a moment of comic relief in the scene where, after however-many American cities had been already destroyed by the tripods, Cruise and his two kids are driving somewhere through the backwoods regions of upstate New York, and the car radio played an EBS test beep, followed by the standard "If this had been an actual emergency..." script.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Oct 2018, 19:27

Hugh Akston wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 18:48
Unlike every other phone in the restaurant, I didn't receive the alert.
Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 18:53
I didn't receive the alert, for whatever reason.
Neither of you will be allowed in the bunker.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Oct 2018, 19:40

Mo wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 17:37
Also, what possible use would a nationwide alert ever be valuable? Like the situations where it’s relevant just leads to widespread panic
Ah, so it's part of T's plan to bring back the 90s. I understand now.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Oct 2018, 05:59

Kolohe wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 19:40
Mo wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 17:37
Also, what possible use would a nationwide alert ever be valuable? Like the situations where it’s relevant just leads to widespread panic
Ah, so it's part of T's plan to bring back the 90s. I understand now.
The ravaging H.O.R.D.E.s roaming the land?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Oct 2018, 11:24

If there was another 9/11 it would be helpful to know that all air travel was going to be closed etc.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Oct 2018, 11:55

U.S. not invited to Canada's save-the-WTO summit of 13 'like-minded' countries
OTTAWA — Canada has not included the United States in an upcoming meeting aimed at saving the international trading system because it doesn’t share the views of the 13 invited countries, says the new Canadian trade minister.

Canada will host senior ministers from 13 “like-minded” countries for a two-day discussion in Ottawa later this month to brainstorm ways to reform the World Trade Organization, said Jim Carr, Canada’s newly appointed international trade diversification minister.

Carr said the group of countries he’s convened ultimately wants to persuade Washington of the continued usefulness of the WTO, but for now the best way forward is without the U.S. in the room.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 05 Oct 2018, 02:11

Great new twist on an old meme theme:

"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Oct 2018, 09:19

I think Melania is in Egypt to recover the Arc of the Covenant for the Nazis.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/melania-trum ... ccounter=1
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Oct 2018, 06:45

Whoever is playing with the simulator is really drunk. How did the trade of Taylor Swift to the Ds for Kanye to the Rs get approved by the commish?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Oct 2018, 07:00

Because the commish is as off his meds as Kanye?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Shem

Post by Shem » 08 Oct 2018, 11:18

Mo wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 06:45
Whoever is playing with the simulator is really drunk. How did the trade of Taylor Swift to the Ds for Kanye to the Rs get approved by the commish?
For the lulz, Mo. For the lulz.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Oct 2018, 11:23

I guess the commish stopped giving a fuck after the Rs dropped the NFL onto waivers.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Oct 2018, 11:52

I assume that Republicans are saying that entertainers need to stay out of politics and leave it to professional politicians...like the host of Celebrity Apprentice.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Oct 2018, 16:40

George W. Bush missed a golden opportunity to say "Kanye West doesn't care about black people."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Oct 2018, 19:30

Jennifer wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 16:40
George W. Bush missed a golden opportunity to say "Kanye West doesn't care about black people."
....Damn.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 11 Oct 2018, 08:44

Here's an interesting comparison of presidential popularity ratings (scroll down to "How Trump compares to past presidents"):
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/tr ... l-ratings/

Plenty of presidents have been almost as unpopular as Trump at various points (Reagan, Carter, and Clinton all had brief periods of being less popular than Trump on the corresponding day), but nobody else has spent their entire first 630 days underwater.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Oct 2018, 11:00

JD wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 08:44
Here's an interesting comparison of presidential popularity ratings (scroll down to "How Trump compares to past presidents"):
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/tr ... l-ratings/

Plenty of presidents have been almost as unpopular as Trump at various points (Reagan, Carter, and Clinton all had brief periods of being less popular than Trump on the corresponding day), but nobody else has spent their entire first 630 days underwater.
I've been following that. The most telling option is the 'net approval' button. There is a ~40% core that he simply cannot alienate.

JD

Post by JD » 11 Oct 2018, 11:14

BTW, I would like to correct myself on something: he has not spent the entire 630 days underwater; there was a period of almost two weeks at the beginning when he had a positive net approval rating.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Oct 2018, 11:26

JD wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 11:14
BTW, I would like to correct myself on something: he has not spent the entire 630 days underwater; there was a period of almost two weeks at the beginning when he had a positive net approval rating.
I have absolute faith in the Democrats to put forward someone equally unpopular.
How I wish the LP could find someone with equal parts ideology and charisma.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Oct 2018, 11:29

The 40% is why I think we should repeal the Treat of Paris. Just tell Trump that it was a no-good, very unfair, terrible deal negotiated by crooked Ben Franklin (who cheated on his wife and drank more than Brett Kavanaugh!) and he'll tear the whole thing up. And the 40% will cheer.

I don't know whether we'll wind up being ruled by Justin Trudeau, Theresa May, or whoever's in charge of Bermuda, but I'm pretty sure that none of them would accidentally start a nuclear war via Twitter.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

JD

Post by JD » 11 Oct 2018, 13:23

thoreau wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 11:29
The 40% is why I think we should repeal the Treat of Paris.
I don't know whether we'll wind up being ruled by Justin Trudeau, Theresa May, or whoever's in charge of Bermuda
Technically, it looks like that would be Queen Elizabeth, which would have a certain poetic closure to it. But the head of government would be E. David Burt. I like that there's a head of government out there whose wikipedia entry basically just says "He got degrees in finance, information systems, and information systems development, and he's the premier, and that's about all I have to say about that."