Orange is the new President

Painboy

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Painboy » 23 Aug 2018, 17:03

Jennifer wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 14:12
Now he's tweeting literal white supremacist conspiracy theories.

Not surprisingly he seems to be conflating issues.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-afri ... ure-tweet/
Earlier this month, Ramaphosa announced that the policy of his party, Nelson Mandela's African National Congress (ANC), was to look at changing the constitution in order to allow for land expropriation without compensation and would proceed with plans carry out that change.
South Africa has high rates of violent crime, Patta reports, but there has been a well-funded campaign by white right-wing South Africans to promote the idea that white farmers are being deliberately killed at higher rates than people of other skin colors, and that this constitutes a "white genocide."
That being said I can understand the locals fear as violent farm seizure is basically what happened in Zimbabwe.

I'd ask why Trump felt to need to tweet this but that would be a waste of time.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Aug 2018, 17:07

Painboy wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 17:03
I'd ask why Trump felt to need to tweet this but that would be a waste of time.
Combination of "trying to distract from yesterday's courtroom news" and "shoring up his appeal to his base." (Unsurprisingly, the white-supremacist fora and Gab threads are super-enthused over Trump's comment.)

I have not bothered to confirm if this is true, but: according to one of the Twitter responses I saw, Trump hasn't even appointed a US ambassador to South Africa. Which if true would indeed belie any suggestion "Trump is genuinely concerned over a human-rights issue there."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 23 Aug 2018, 17:07

I saw it pointed out somewhere that this is the very first time that Trump has ever mentioned Africa in a tweet. Yes, the first time he ever mentions Africa, it's to decry something happening to white people.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Aug 2018, 12:03

I wonder if Trump is actually stupid enough to fire Sessions.

I hope he does it on Saturday night. It would be very traditional. If he could hold on for just eight weeks, the timing would be perfect.

As a bonus, we'd be rid of Sessions.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Aug 2018, 12:51

It would be funny if Graham and Grassley were hinting that they'd be ok with Trump firing Sessions in order to sucker him into doing exactly that, and then hoping that the fallout from that would take down Trump also.

"We can't outwardly oppose the guy, but maybe we can get him to screw up so bad..."

Of course it's not that. Bunch of worthless toadies.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Aug 2018, 20:52

On the 'People Who Died' thread
lunchstealer wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 20:27
I do think that the institutions of American civic governance are important and that Trump will undermine them so badly that we'll go to a low-trust banana republic country like Russia or best-case Brazil but without the hot chicks, ripe for our own strongman of one form or another, either right-wing populist like Putin or left-wing populist like Chavez.
My feeling is that Trump is going to provoke a reaction towards decency, so long as he leaves office in a 'normal' way. (Preferably in a landslide loss November 3, 2020.)

After JFK died, everything he had ever done was eulogized. Criticizing him or opposing anything he supported was near heresy for a decade thereafter and things like his role in Vietnam were sanitized. ('Of course he was going to pull out of Vietnam. Right after the 1964 election.')

If Trump ingests one too many Big Macs and a myocardial infarction sends him off to the Trump Tower on the Other Side, the same thing is going to happen. If he is impeached, his supporters are going to be convinced of the 'Beltway Librul Konspiracy' and their toxic effect on the body politic will continue.

If he is voted out, I think the Beltway mob, Red and Blue, is going to heave a collective sigh and say 'let's not go down that road again.'
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Aug 2018, 00:49

I dunno, Aresen. I think if Trump is forced out of office, things could go more Nixon than JFK.

At the very least, I could see his reaction (and his diehard supporters' reaction) to an electoral loss going as badly as if he were forced out. After all, this is a guy who started arguing that the election was rigged against him when he won.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Aug 2018, 01:06

There is that. The paranoia runs deep in the Trumpentariat.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Aug 2018, 01:28

I think every path forward is dangerous, honestly. Impeachment? BELTWAY LIBRUL KONSPIRACY!!! Landslide defeat in 2020? ILLEGAL VOTING AND DEEP STATE KONSPIRACY!!!! Heart attack? DEEP STATE WETWORK TEAM!!!!

It won't be all of Team Red, of course. Probably not even a majority of Team Red. But 20% of the electorate? Sure. And 20% of the November electorate can be a majority in a party primary. And that bodes ill for the future.

Yes, the Blues have a lot of nuts, but in Team Blue the fringe is shit on by the center, while in Team Red the center is shit on by the fringe.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 25 Aug 2018, 08:53

Land is being forcibly seized in South Africa from what I can tell. No genocide for sure, and most of "the farm murders" are anecdotes, but this kind of taking is still not a good thing.

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Aug 2018, 09:24

Isn’t the land currently being forcefully seized, prior to this proposed law, primarily from poor black South Africans for miners? So the issue is that no one gives a shit until it’s whites.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 25 Aug 2018, 09:27

And I think it's a proposed constitutional amendment, not just a law, and it's got a marginal chance of passing, so it's the kind of thing that the guy in charge can say he supports to try to bring some of the farther outside people who didn't support him back to his support without actually having to do anything for them.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Aug 2018, 11:02

Whatever is going on in South Africa, it's being used as a distraction by Trump, and definitely a distraction with a racial angle.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Aug 2018, 11:10

thoreau wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 11:02
Whatever is going on in South Africa, it's being used as a distraction by Trump, and definitely a distraction with a racial angle.
The race-baiting is transparent. The events in South Africa are not something to ignore, but neither are they a call to DO SOMETHING. Especially if DO SOMETHING involves state action.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Aug 2018, 15:24

I have a slight online acquaintance with a former white supremacist (and friend of April "Prussian Blue's mama" Gaede), who eventually renounced his beliefs around the same time he realized he was gay or genderfluid or some other sexual trait that would NOT be welcomed in the white supremacist utopia. As he pointed out (regarding Trump's tweet), the South Africa story has been a key element of the racists' "white genocide" narrative for a looooong time -- they've been ranting about white-farmer murders and land seizures for over ten years now -- and if it were true, by now there wouldn't be any white farmers left in the country.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 25 Aug 2018, 22:39

Homeopathic white genocide?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jake

Post by Jake » 26 Aug 2018, 02:36

Kolohe wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 22:39
Homeopathic white genocide?
The fewer white farmers you murder, the more genocidal it is!
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Aug 2018, 08:17

Holy shit, I'm a monster!
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Aug 2018, 19:59

Ellie wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 08:17
Au contraire; you're the only woman on this forum who is not actively engaged in white genocide. Every day a white woman of childbearing age refrains from having a white baby, she is being an active traitor to her people and committing genocide against her own race.

This is what "white genocide" proponents actually believe. No exaggeration.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Aug 2018, 20:10

Jennifer wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:59
Ellie wrote:
Au contraire; you're the only woman on this forum who is not actively engaged in white genocide. Every day a white woman of childbearing age refrains from having a white baby, she is being an active traitor to her people and committing genocide against her own race.

I've seen that. To prevent facial bruising, I now wear an oven mitt in case I come across one of those.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Aug 2018, 20:26

Jennifer wrote:
Ellie wrote:

God dammit, racists ruin everything, even babies.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Aug 2018, 20:36

Ellie wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:26
Jennifer wrote:
Ellie wrote:

God dammit, racists ruin everything, even babies.
Especially babies.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 27 Aug 2018, 01:55

Jennifer wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 15:24
I have a slight online acquaintance with a former white supremacist (and friend of April "Prussian Blue's mama" Gaede), who eventually renounced his beliefs around the same time he realized he was gay or genderfluid or some other sexual trait that would NOT be welcomed in the white supremacist utopia. As he pointed out (regarding Trump's tweet), the South Africa story has been a key element of the racists' "white genocide" narrative for a looooong time -- they've been ranting about white-farmer murders and land seizures for over ten years now -- and if it were true, by now there wouldn't be any white farmers left in the country.
I've hear similar tales on AM talk radio from time to time...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 28 Aug 2018, 09:46

I'm actively white genociding and really only interested in race and hopefully class traitors in terms of romantic partners.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Aug 2018, 14:39

This Atlantic piece is a comforting narrative, but people really should know better than to make predictions about Trump based on historical/literary precedent.
But in the moment of losing power, the two will be alike. A tyrant is unloved, and although the laws and institutions of the United States have proven a brake on Trump, his spirit remains tyrannical—that is, utterly self-absorbed and self-concerned, indifferent to the suffering of others, knowing no moral restraint. He expects fealty and gives none. Such people can exert power for a long time, by playing on the fear and cupidity, the gullibility and the hatreds of those around them. Ideological fervor can substitute for personal affection and attachment for a time, and so too can blind terror and sheer stupidity, but in the end, these fall away as well.

And thus their courtiers abandon even monumental tyrants like Mussolini—who at least had his mistress, Claretta Petacci, with him at his ignominious end. (Melania’s affections are considerably less certain.) The normal course of events is sudden, epic desertion, in which an all-powerful political figure who loomed over everything is suddenly left shrunken and pitiful, a wretched little figure in gaudy robes absurdly too big for him, a figure of ridicule as much as, and even more than, hatred.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul