Orange is the new President

Shem

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Shem » 13 Aug 2018, 12:48

Just to clarify, when I brought up Wells Fargo I was talking about their leadership encouraging line sales staff to commit fraud to push loan and credit numbers.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Aug 2018, 15:32

The victims of insider trading may never get justice, but at least we can be confident that whenever a cop chokes someone out on the street, or a prison guard rapes an inmate, or a reckless prosecutor sends an innocent person to prison for decades, or the CIA tortures prisoners of war, or the VA doctors more records than patients, or the military bombs a charity hospital, our institutions will conduct thorough internal investigations and find no wrongdoing. It's no wonder people have lost faith in institutions when the monsters laundering money through real estate don't face the same harsh lectures and paid time off as those who let inmates starve to death in jails.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Aug 2018, 15:55

I mean if you want to prosecute people for fraud and embezzling and shit that's cool.

But money laundering and insider trading should not be crimes.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 13 Aug 2018, 15:56

Hugh Akston wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 15:32
The victims of insider trading may never get justice, but at least we can be confident that whenever a cop chokes someone out on the street, or a prison guard rapes an inmate, or a reckless prosecutor sends an innocent person to prison for decades, or the CIA tortures prisoners of war, or the VA doctors more records than patients, or the military bombs a charity hospital, our institutions will conduct thorough internal investigations and find no wrongdoing. It's no wonder people have lost faith in institutions when the monsters laundering money through real estate don't face the same harsh lectures and paid time off as those who let inmates starve to death in jails.
Why must we pick one or the other?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Aug 2018, 16:51

Number 6 wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 15:56
Hugh Akston wrote:
Why must we pick one or the other?
I don't traffic in false dilemmas, but when it comes to restoring public trust in institutions and allocating scarce prosecutorial resources, "things that shouldn't be crimes to begin with" should be way down the list from "actual harms perpetrated under color of authority."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 13 Aug 2018, 17:42

Thinking we should crack down on police abuses isn't something I've changed my mind about in the past two years.

Mo

Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 13 Aug 2018, 17:45

Hugh Akston wrote:The victims of insider trading may never get justice, but at least we can be confident that whenever a cop chokes someone out on the street, or a prison guard rapes an inmate, or a reckless prosecutor sends an innocent person to prison for decades, or the CIA tortures prisoners of war, or the VA doctors more records than patients, or the military bombs a charity hospital, our institutions will conduct thorough internal investigations and find no wrongdoing. It's no wonder people have lost faith in institutions when the monsters laundering money through real estate don't face the same harsh lectures and paid time off as those who let inmates starve to death in jails.
You would think someone with her Twitter handle would understand the issue with insider trading.

Also:

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Aug 2018, 19:54

thoreau wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 22:10
My view is that some politicians are less dishonest than others, and that's a good reason to see some as lesser evils, but all of them need to be monitored.
This is a stance I'm fine with.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Aug 2018, 21:44

Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 19:54
thoreau wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 22:10
My view is that some politicians are less dishonest than others, and that's a good reason to see some as lesser evils, but all of them need to be monitored.
This is a stance I'm fine with.
Cosign. With the caveat that by 'monitored you mean 'wear an ankle bracelet 24/7'.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 13 Aug 2018, 21:46

I think that at a certain level of political office, you should get to stop wearing the ankle bracelet. (and have the tracker inserted anally)
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 13 Aug 2018, 21:56

Ellie wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 21:46
I think that at a certain level of political office, you should get to stop wearing the ankle bracelet. (and have the tracker inserted anally)
You'd have to design one that fits next to the head.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Aug 2018, 23:06

Mo wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 17:45
You would think someone with her Twitter handle would understand the issue with insider trading.
Which is what exactly?

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Aug 2018, 05:19

The lemons problem. Basically, if people think markets are advantaged by those with significant internal information, then people will be wary about trading in equities because those without insider information will wonder if they're being scammed. This will reduce volumes and the quality of equities being traded or increase the risk premium associated with it (by reducing trading multiples). The reason why it seems like insider trading doesn't hurt people is that the only cases are relatively small and blatantly idiotic. If insider trading was allowed, the market would be dominated by people with significant insider knowledge, like outside counsel, auditors and the like, which would make other investors GTFO.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Aug 2018, 15:29

Is there any evidence that's the case though? I mean, Megan linked to this in her article, and the guy who studies it doesn't seem to find any clear evidence that insider trading drives people from the markets. That post is nigh ten years old, and up front there could be a known-unknowns problem of studying people not doing something, so if you have any evidence that insider trading does indeed drive people from the market, I'm open to it.

But the main issue is that no law is going to change the reality that people inside a company know more about what's going on than people outside, and they're going to act on their information because that's what people do. Asymmetric information is as basic an economic law as supply and demand. Criminalizing that seems not only counterproductive, but also extremely vulnerable to abuse since the law can only be enforced selectively.

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Aug 2018, 16:16

Madigan’s lawsuit, filed late Monday in Cook County Circuit Court, accuses Trump Tower of failing to meet several requirements in a state permit intended to limit the number of fish pinned against intake screens or killed by sudden changes in pressure and temperature.

Building managers also failed to properly renew the permit and have been operating the massive cooling system unlawfully for nearly a year, according to the lawsuit.

“Trump Tower continues to take millions of gallons of water from the Chicago River every day without a permit and without any regard to how it may be impacting the river’s ecosystem,” Madigan said in a statement. “I filed my lawsuit to make sure Trump Tower cannot continue violating the law.”
Trump, libertarian hero :lol:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-m ... story.html

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Aug 2018, 17:35

Hugh Akston wrote:Is there any evidence that's the case though? I mean, Megan linked to this in her article, and the guy who studies it doesn't seem to find any clear evidence that insider trading drives people from the markets. That post is nigh ten years old, and up front there could be a known-unknowns problem of studying people not doing something, so if you have any evidence that insider trading does indeed drive people from the market, I'm open to it.

But the main issue is that no law is going to change the reality that people inside a company know more about what's going on than people outside, and they're going to act on their information because that's what people do. Asymmetric information is as basic an economic law as supply and demand. Criminalizing that seems not only counterproductive, but also extremely vulnerable to abuse since the law can only be enforced selectively.
Seems weird to focus on volumes rather than retail ownership percentages or risk multiples. If an investor thinks that only insiders can get a leg up, then they won’t invest in individual stocks (which is actually wise). IIRC, until Chinese money can pouring in with HK as an exclusive outlet, HK shares traded at a significant discount to US shares. And the whole Japanese corporate economy is rigged, so the stock market is part an parcel of the existing system. Looking solely at volumes misses other potential knock on effects. Though, to be fair, I have not read all of his scholarship, so he may have covered those concerns. But volume alone is unconvincing.

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Aug 2018, 07:13

How the fuck did this man get elected president? He hates dogs is the easiest attack ad in the world to make.
Longtime Trump observers say it is a measure of his rage and sense of betrayal that he called Manigault Newman “that dog.” The president, who has an aversion to dogs and other pets, considers canine comparisons to be among his most devastating put-downs.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Aug 2018, 09:46

Hugh Akston wrote:
Though they did just fire and charge that cop in Baltimore who beat up the other guy.
(Though level of difficulty was that the cop was a rookie and African American)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Aug 2018, 13:13

He thinks this country was founded by people who passionately supported taxes on imported goods.

I'm sure that the Tea Party Patriots and their ilk will all school him on this. Right? Um, right?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Aug 2018, 14:56

The only country that should be stealing the wealth of the the great USA is the great USA.

nicole

Post by nicole » 15 Aug 2018, 14:59

You sound like you hate America, Hugh.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Aug 2018, 15:59

Hate is a strong word.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 16 Aug 2018, 17:14

This whole thing about Brennan's security clearance is a good opportunity for people to consider why the government is allowed to withhold information from the public in the first place.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Aug 2018, 17:17

Hugh Akston wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 17:14
This whole thing about Brennan's security clearance is a good opportunity for people to consider why the government is allowed to withhold information from the public in the first place.
The real question is why Trump has a security clearance.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Aug 2018, 14:12

Now he's tweeting literal white supremacist conspiracy theories.

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b