Orange is the new President

Jennifer

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jul 2018, 14:46

Warren wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 13:28
Ellie wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 13:24
It seems like I've seen a lot of pearl-clutching from Trump haters, though. Unless I'm just noticing that more because it's on the brain, when really it's just one in an endless series of their pearl clutches for the week.
It's been like that ever since he was elected. Only now it's really fucking irritating because it's the same stupid shit every week.
Trump says stupid shit. Really stupid shit. And offensive shit. The president saying stupid shit is not a threat to the republic. It's not a crisis that we need to deal with. It's not even fucking news. Just get the fuck over it already.
The president of the United States publicly announcing that he sides with a hostile foreign strongman over his own American advisers and intelligence officers actually is a newsworthy big deal. As is a POTUS who openly insults and despises the very notion of a free press, and a POTUS who opens literallyjoebiden concentration camps without even bothering to keep track of where the inmates of those camps are.

Are you still singing the "Hillary would've been worse" tune, or is this "stop complaining about Trump" drumbeat coming from somewhere else?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jul 2018, 15:02

Wow. There really IS a Trump tweet for every occasion, isn't there?

I wonder how much our "leaders" have promised, or given, Russia in order for them to behave and not make the U.S. look even worse? [6 sep 2013]

Putin's letter is a masterpiece for Russia and a disaster for the U.S. He is lecturing to our President.Never has our Country looked to weak [12 sep 2013]
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jul 2018, 15:15

Thank you, Jennifer, for the belly-laugh.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Jul 2018, 15:38

Jennifer wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 14:46
The president of the United States publicly announcing that he sides with a hostile foreign strongman over his own American advisers and intelligence officers actually is a newsworthy big deal. As is a POTUS who openly insults and despises the very notion of a free press
The fact that a POTUS is doing that is a big deal, but Trump's been basically doing that, or things as bad as that, all along. Like, yeah, he's a fuckface who doesn't believe in a free press. It's not like he campaigned on how much he loved a free press and then turned around and betrayed everyone.

*shrug* Oh, well, I just don't get it in this case and I probably never will.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jul 2018, 15:43

Ellie wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 15:38
Jennifer wrote:
The president of the United States publicly announcing that he sides with a hostile foreign strongman over his own American advisers and intelligence officers actually is a newsworthy big deal. As is a POTUS who openly insults and despises the very notion of a free press
The fact that a POTUS is doing that is a big deal, but Trump's been basically doing that, or things as bad as that, all along. Like, yeah, he's a fuckface who doesn't believe in a free press. It's not like he campaigned on how much he loved a free press and then turned around and betrayed everyone.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here -- "Since Trump's been vile from the get-go, people should not be concerned over how vile he is?"

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Jul 2018, 15:49

Jennifer wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 15:43
Ellie wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here -- "Since Trump's been vile from the get-go, people should not be concerned over how vile he is?"
No, as expressed upthread, it seems that people are finding it uniquely vile or surprising or something. "This is a bridge too far!" "Did he really just say that???" That kind of thing. Like, yes, of course he said that, he says shit like that all the time. Maybe I am misreading people's reactions; maybe I'm seeing a few outliers and extrapolating a bigger trend that isn't there. It just seems like this brought people's ire up more than a lot of other things he's said and I don't get why this is a bigger deal than those things.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jul 2018, 16:08

Ellie wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 15:49
Jennifer wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 15:43
Ellie wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

No, as expressed upthread, it seems that people are finding it uniquely vile or surprising or something. "This is a bridge too far!" "Did he really just say that???" That kind of thing. Like, yes, of course he said that, he says shit like that all the time. Maybe I am misreading people's reactions; maybe I'm seeing a few outliers and extrapolating a bigger trend that isn't there. It just seems like this brought people's ire up more than a lot of other things he's said and I don't get why this is a bigger deal than those things.
Ah. Gotcha. I think I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time I understand (and empathize with) the attitude you're criticizing here: it's sort of going back-and-forth between "I have outrage fatigue; I've become too inured to his bad behavior" and "I've snapped out of it long enough to lose that inured-ness, and realize 'Holy shit this is fucked up.'"

When you were editing vanity novels, didn't you have a similar back and forth? I sure as hell did: "This is by far the stupidest piece of writing in the history of the English language, nothing will ever be stupider [next book] Whoops, I was wrong again. THIS is the stupidest piece of writing in the English language, and nothing will ever be stupider [next book] Whoops, I was wrong again. THIS .... " Or "I've had it with Cowboy Sweetheart; nothing she says or does will surprise me anymore [next chapter] JESUS CHRIST lookit what she just wrote! HOW CAN ANYBODY BE THAT STUPID!!"

Or maybe it's more like, the difference between "knowing something bad is going on" versus actually seeing it for yourself. Similar to how everybody knowing we were torturing people in Abu Ghraib didn't have quite the same impact as when those photos were released and everyone could see what was going on.

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Jul 2018, 09:53

Nearly half of Republicans (47 percent) believe that Trump won the popular vote, which is similar to this finding. Larger fractions believe that millions of illegal immigrants voted (68 percent) and that voter fraud happens somewhat or very often (73 percent). Again, this is similar to previous polls.

Moreover, 52 percent said that they would support postponing the 2020 election, and 56 percent said they would do so if both Trump and Republicans in Congress proposed this.
Oh

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mon ... roposed-it
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Jul 2018, 11:31

nicole wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 09:53
Nearly half of Republicans (47 percent) believe that Trump won the popular vote, which is similar to this finding. Larger fractions believe that millions of illegal immigrants voted (68 percent) and that voter fraud happens somewhat or very often (73 percent). Again, this is similar to previous polls.

Moreover, 52 percent said that they would support postponing the 2020 election, and 56 percent said they would do so if both Trump and Republicans in Congress proposed this.
Oh

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mon ... roposed-it
Between this and the Blues who think the First Amendment "doesn't protect hate speech", I think we're fucked.

---

Edit to add: I suspect the numbers in the part I've italicized would be very similar if you polled H&R commenters.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Jul 2018, 12:00

Michael D. Cohen, secretly recorded a conversation with Mr. Trump two months before the presidential election in which they discussed payments to a former Playboy model who said she had an affair with Mr. Trump

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jul 2018, 13:24

Giuliani says that tape provides "powerful exculpatory evidence" that Trump did not know about those payments.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... y-evidence

Shem

Post by Shem » 20 Jul 2018, 16:56

Jennifer wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 13:24
Giuliani says that tape provides "powerful exculpatory evidence" that Trump did not know about those payments.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... y-evidence
Guess he's not planning on arguing the tape should be privileged.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Shem

Post by Shem » 20 Jul 2018, 16:58

"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jul 2018, 17:09

This is the Trump lawyer who had to get a lawyer of his own, right?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Jul 2018, 22:35

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Jul 2018, 15:08

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Jul 2018, 21:24

Mo wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 15:08
You be you Alabama.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nat ... 16d051f550
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

— Matthew 7:4-5 KJV

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Jul 2018, 23:03

Mo wrote:
You be you Alabama.

Journalist: Why did you vote for Trump?

Townie 1: Abortion is murder.

Journalist: Sure.

Townie 2: To protect the Second Amendment.

Journalist: Got it.

Townie 3: "Unser Volk hat von Gott den Einsatz bekommen die christfeindliches Islamo-Bolschewismus zu zerstören und die untermenschliche Ausländer auszurotten! Wir werden Stahl durch den Krieg!"

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 22 Jul 2018, 23:20

Mo wrote:
You be you Alabama.

Yeah. That sounds about right. Righteousness, hypocrisy, thinly veiled racism, and delusion. That's about what I remember living down there.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Jul 2018, 23:35

Also, that lady did not read the Bible. I believe that descriptions of heaven are limited to the fact that everybody will be on God's right, and the closest thing to a description of hell is a lake of fire and a literal garbage dump near Jerusalem.

EDIT: Wikipedia says it is a little more extensive than that, but only a little bit. Certainly not as extensive as whatever she is talking about.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 22 Jul 2018, 23:44

If they want to just make shit up that just so happens to benefit people who only believe EXACTLY what they believe and EXACTLY the way they believe it ... then ... well they are probably just regular people. That's kind of how humanity rolls.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 22 Jul 2018, 23:45

Humanity! Fuck yeah!

Obligatory: https://www.reddit.com/r/HFY/

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Jul 2018, 00:32

It is true that all the chosen leaders of the Bible, especially in the Old Testament, are gaping assholes. From that perspective, Donald Trump could well be favored by the Lord. He might have boned Stormy Daniels but he didn't have her husband killed so he could do it; he might think his daughter's a hot piece of ass but he never got drunk with her and then boinked her.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jul 2018, 00:42

Mo wrote:
You be you Alabama.

To her, this was a moral threat far greater than any character flaw Trump might have, as was what she called “the racial divide,” which she believed was getting worse. The evidence was all the black people protesting about the police, and all the talk about the legacy of slavery, which Sheila never believed was as bad as people said it was. “Slaves were valued,” she said. “They got housing. They got fed. They got medical care.”
Oh fuck. Can we get Zombie Sherman to raze the South to the ground yet again?

I mean, how do you even start to deal with a person like that?

ADDENDUM: Yeah, yeah, I know, I don't ACTUALLY want to send in an army to wipe them out, but, goddamn, it's hard to be patient and level-headed when reading that shit.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jul 2018, 00:50

Because of course he did.
"Trump was very frustrated; he wasn't getting commitments from other leaders to spend more. Many of them said, 'Well, we have to ask our parliaments. We have a process; we can't just tell you we're going to spend more, we have a legal process.' Trump turns around to the Turkish president, Recep Erdogan, and says, 'Except for Erdogan over here. He does things the right way,' and then actually fist-bumps the Turkish president."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-fist ... right-way/
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem