Orange is the new President

Aresen

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Aresen » 17 Jul 2018, 15:49

Well, the 'without apology' part is correct. :lol:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2018, 15:51

Aresen wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 15:49
Well, the 'without apology' part is correct. :lol:
True; Pence only blew it on "stands," "leader" and "free."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jul 2018, 16:29

This is a good opportunity to identify good marks.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Jul 2018, 16:34

If we are to have any hope of getting rid of Trump, we have to refrain from criticizing Pence or asking any questions about whether he knew anything about the insane mob family that he partnered with.

For now.

Once he's President we can give him hell. But for now, he is beyond reproach.

For now.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 17 Jul 2018, 16:52

See, totally leaking like a sieve and wrapping things up.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/17/mueller ... -case.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2018, 19:23

To paraphrase something I saw on Twitter (Will Wilkinson IIRC): it's really strange that not one Republican seems interested in taking the opportunity to go into the history book as the person who took a stand for principles of democracy and "country over party" and "standing up to tyranny" and the like. It's especially weird considering they're all multimillionaires several times over; it's not as though any have such motivations as "If I lose this job I'll also lose the house and will be forced to live on Walmart wages and my children will suffer deprivation."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Jul 2018, 19:29

Especially since I think congresscrittern have a pension of 'full congressional salary and benefits for life'.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Jul 2018, 19:36

Jennifer wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 19:23
To paraphrase something I saw on Twitter (Will Wilkinson IIRC): it's really strange that not one Republican seems interested in taking the opportunity to go into the history book as the person who took a stand for principles of democracy and "country over party" and "standing up to tyranny" and the like. It's especially weird considering they're all multimillionaires several times over; it's not as though any have such motivations as "If I lose this job I'll also lose the house and will be forced to live on Walmart wages and my children will suffer deprivation."
Um. They like the power and prestige of political office. They're addicted to power more than any crack cocaine addict to his fix. They won't risk losing that.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2018, 19:43

Aresen wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 19:36
Jennifer wrote:
Um. They like the power and prestige of political office. They're addicted to power more than any crack cocaine addict to his fix. They won't risk losing that.
If they lose their government gigs due to standing up to Trump, they will certainly lose direct political power, but the prestige they'd gain would be immense. I wasn't joking when I said they'd go in the history books for that.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Jul 2018, 19:47

They could immediately become Chuck Schumer's best friend.

I have no idea why they won't jump at the opportunity.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2018, 19:51

thoreau wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 19:47
They could immediately become Chuck Schumer's best friend.
Which of course is the only honor they could expect to get, either from their own fellow Americans or the entire rest of the world, hence not such a mystery after all. :roll:

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Jul 2018, 19:56

Jennifer wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 19:43
Aresen wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
If they lose their government gigs due to standing up to Trump, they will certainly lose direct political power, but the prestige they'd gain would be immense. I wasn't joking when I said they'd go in the history books for that.
Oh yeah? Without googling: Who was Sam Ervin? (As you are a political junkie, you might know. Most people don't. I had to think for five minutes before I recalled his name and I was watching his 'moment in history'.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2018, 20:16

Aresen wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 19:56
Jennifer wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 19:43
Aresen wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Oh yeah? Without googling: Who was Sam Ervin? (As you are a political junkie, you might know. Most people don't. I had to think for five minutes before I recalled his name and I was watching his 'moment in history'.)
Without Googling, I can only say "someone connected to the Nixon-Watergate story, somehow." But for all that Nixon was well-despised by Americans in his day, and (I get the impression) even America's allies were less than thrilled by the whole continuing war in Vietnam thing -- what did Nixon do (or, what string of activities did Nixon do) on par with what Trump is and has been doing? What level of disdain from Americans and even America's allies, analogous to Trump's?

Nixon was before my time, so I mostly know the after-the-fact big-picture details of Watergate and "the tapes" and crass comments caught thereon (plus a couple contemporary jokes gleaned from watching reruns of old early 1970s Socially Conscious sitcoms, or references in Stephen King novels, and the like) -- CREEP, the break-in of the Dem offices at the Watergate, the cover-up, Liddy's psycho autobiography, etc. -- but did Nixon do anything on par with systematically pissing off America's allies while cozying up to the strongman of a semi-hostile foreign power? After imposing a policy as pointlessly, wantonly cruel as Trump's kiddie concentration camps? After having already violated multiple norms of "standard" presidential behavior? I know Nixon had an "enemies" list which included some American journalists, but did he do anything remotely on par with Trump's ranting against "fake media" and refusal to so much as pay presidential lip service to the First Amendment and similar "hooray for constitutional rights!" things?

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Jul 2018, 05:42

thoreau wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 13:07
Eric the .5b wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 01:14
thoreau wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 14:21
I think the problem is that people are a bit too enamored of an idea akin to the Efficient Markets Hypothesis.
Bluntly, I'm looking back through the last several pages, and I'm lost as to what claim you're trying to advance and what position you actually think you're arguing against.
I claim that Trump almost certainly knew the following:
1) That people inside his campaign had ties to the Russian government (e.g. Manafort) or were being cultivated by the Russian government (e.g. everyone who's been caught lying about their contacts with the Russian government).
2) That the Russian government was digging for information to help his campaign (e.g. Natalia Veselnitskaya offered dirt on Clinton and her circle, people close to Trump displayed advance knowledge of emails being leaked in October) and that some of this involved illegal hacking.
3) That people in his campaign were trying to coordinate activity with the Russian government (e.g. Donnie Jr., Jared Kushner, and Manafort sitting down with Veselnitskaya).

The position I'm arguing against: That it's absurd to think Trump knew any of this.
Emphasis added.

Alright, and just to confirm: Who here thinks the bolded part, or are you not actually arguing with anyone here?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 18 Jul 2018, 08:54

Aresen wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 15:02
Seriously? You're posting this in front of Ellie's salad?!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Jul 2018, 11:10

Tuco wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 08:54
Ahahahahahaha <3 <3 <3

But that photo does reveal a sad truth, that apparently there are some types of hoyay that even I can't get on board with.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Jul 2018, 12:07

nicole wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 13:34
Ellie wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 13:24
It seems like I've seen a lot of pearl-clutching from Trump haters, though. Unless I'm just noticing that more because it's on the brain, when really it's just one in an endless series of their pearl clutches for the week.
I think it's because actually experiencing things like that press conference is so insane. I assume you didn't watch it; watching and listening to Trump in contexts like that is a trip at the best of times, but seeing him do it alongside Putin, and then also hearing Putin speak, when he sounds like a much better, next-level Trump, was awful.

I mean, it's stuff like the press conference that I actually really, really hate about Trump. Like the rallies where he goes off on "not even wrong" rants about General Pershing dipping bullets in pigs' blood. He spews this set of nonsense talking points, debunked conspiracy theories, and tangential tidbits, and there's this world of deplorables out there operating on the same level, and everyone else just like...wtffffffff. I mean, you can't talk to them, you can't deal with them, they're fucking crazy.
That's probably part of it. I find Trump absolutely unwatchable. I have to turn off the radio if I even hear a sound byte from him. It's just an instant "HOLY SHIT THIS GUY IS THE WORST" whenever I hear him talking.

I do have to say, even though to me this feels like a tempest in a teacup, whatever tempest ultimately turns his base against him is fine by me. I don't know if this will do it, but I welcome whatever does, no matter how trivial. I just hate him so much. Not even his policies or impact or anything. Just him, personally. He's so gross and cringeworthy. ugggghhhhhhhhhhh

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jul 2018, 12:20

Ellie wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 12:07
nicole wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 13:34
Ellie wrote:
It seems like I've seen a lot of pearl-clutching from Trump haters, though. Unless I'm just noticing that more because it's on the brain, when really it's just one in an endless series of their pearl clutches for the week.
I think it's because actually experiencing things like that press conference is so insane. I assume you didn't watch it; watching and listening to Trump in contexts like that is a trip at the best of times, but seeing him do it alongside Putin, and then also hearing Putin speak, when he sounds like a much better, next-level Trump, was awful.

I mean, it's stuff like the press conference that I actually really, really hate about Trump. Like the rallies where he goes off on "not even wrong" rants about General Pershing dipping bullets in pigs' blood. He spews this set of nonsense talking points, debunked conspiracy theories, and tangential tidbits, and there's this world of deplorables out there operating on the same level, and everyone else just like...wtffffffff. I mean, you can't talk to them, you can't deal with them, they're fucking crazy.
That's probably part of it. I find Trump absolutely unwatchable. I have to turn off the radio if I even hear a sound byte from him. It's just an instant "HOLY SHIT THIS GUY IS THE WORST" whenever I hear him talking.

I do have to say, even though to me this feels like a tempest in a teacup, whatever tempest ultimately turns his base against him is fine by me. I don't know if this will do it, but I welcome whatever does, no matter how trivial. I just hate him so much. Not even his policies or impact or anything. Just him, personally. He's so gross and cringeworthy. ugggghhhhhhhhhhh
It is his blend of low cunning and high stupid that irritates me most.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Jul 2018, 12:31

For me a lot of it is the thin-skinned endless butthurt combined with the aggressive "I'm so macho and you're all pussies" posturing.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Jul 2018, 13:12

Ellie wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 11:10
Tuco wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 08:54
Ahahahahahaha <3 <3 <3

But that photo does reveal a sad truth, that apparently there are some types of hoyay that even I can't get on board with.
But you're still on board with my Schumer/McConnell project, right?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Jul 2018, 13:23

Confession: I actually don't know who Chuck Schumer is, except that the Drupal iteration of the boards had a thread (started by dhex, I believe) titled "Chuck Schumer's shittiness is transcendent" so when I hear his name I just think of that.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jul 2018, 13:28

Ellie wrote:
It's been like that ever since he was elected. Only now it's really fucking irritating because it's the same stupid shit every week.
Trump says stupid shit. Really stupid shit. And offensive shit. The president saying stupid shit is not a threat to the republic. It's not a crisis that we need to deal with. It's not even fucking news. Just get the fuck over it already.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jul 2018, 13:29

Ellie wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 12:31
For me a lot of it is the thin-skinned endless butthurt combined with the aggressive "I'm so macho and you're all pussies" posturing.
This.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 18 Jul 2018, 13:36

Mo wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 13:29
Ellie wrote:
This.
NYC tough guy-ism is the worst. I would love to see all of that type have to do tours when young men in parts of the country where they wouldn't be able to read the social cues telling them that it's safe to act that way.

So they get stabbed.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jul 2018, 14:16

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 13:36
Mo wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 13:29
Ellie wrote:
This.
NYC tough guy-ism is the worst. I would love to see all of that type have to do tours when young men in parts of the country where they wouldn't be able to read the social cues telling them that it's safe to act that way.

So they get stabbed.
In the eyes. Arya Stark vs Meryn Trant style.