Orange is the new President

Jennifer

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Jennifer » 05 Jul 2018, 18:34

Aresen wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 17:18
Much as I loathe Trump, I can only give the story a truthiness score of 40 - 50%.
But Trump did briefly talk of war against Venezuela last year. I remember griping about it on Facebook, and Jake's response. (Searches) Ah, here it is, from August 11, 2017:
Jennifer wrote: For fark's sake. I step away from the Internet and news in general for less than six hours, and when I come back, Trump's threatening war with Venezuela, too?!
Jake wrote:Reaction #1: Ha! There's that funny Jennifer [Lastname] hyperbole that I enjoy so much!

Reaction #2: (sinking feeling)

Reaction #3 (post-Googling): Ah, crap.
Jennifer wrote:It really IS that hard to tell reality from jokes, anymore. True anecdote: when I first saw that headline a la "Trump thanks Putin for expelling US diplomats, thereby lowering State Department payroll costs," I thought for SURE it must be something from the Onion, Clickhole or one of those non-funny Andy Borowitz New Yorker pieces. But, nope -- it was straightforward no-shit news. THE POTUS ACTUALLY SAID THAT.
I'd forgotten all about Trump thanking Putin, too.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Jul 2018, 19:08

I remembered the unspecified threats of invasion, but I am still not sure they were anything other than his random blabbering.

One of the reasons the story gets a low truthiness score from me is that it hits every anti-Trump button I've got. Due to experience, I've gotten very wary of anything that feels like it confirms what I believe, especially a negative opinion.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Jul 2018, 19:43

Aresen wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 19:08
I remembered the unspecified threats of invasion, but I am still not sure they were anything other than his random blabbering.
Trump's basically sentient Id; everything he says and does is ultimately just "random blabbering." Only his blabbering has real-world consequences because of the position he holds.
One of the reasons the story gets a low truthiness score from me is that it hits every anti-Trump button I've got. Due to experience, I've gotten very wary of anything that feels like it confirms what I believe, especially a negative opinion.
That's a sensible rule to apply to normal politicians, but Trump isn't one.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Jul 2018, 19:57

It apparently was indeed random blabbering that his aides were able to prevent from turning into action. The problem with Trump is that he has no real understanding of anything, and no serious ideas, so all he ever produces is random blabbering that sane aides will need to talk him out of.

When you have a madman on the throne, you'll never get anything better than whatever his sanest advisor is able to either talk him into or do behind his back.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Jul 2018, 22:17

thoreau wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 19:57
It apparently was indeed random blabbering that his aides were able to prevent from turning into action. The problem with Trump is that he has no real understanding of anything, and no serious ideas, so all he ever produces is random blabbering ....
He has single-handedly created the Brownian Motion School of Management.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Jul 2018, 23:40

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 22:17
He has single-handedly created the Brownian Motion School of Management.
The Random Drunkard's Walk Theory of Economics.
thoreau wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 19:57
It apparently was indeed random blabbering that his aides were able to prevent from turning into action. The problem with Trump is that he has no real understanding of anything, and no serious ideas, so all he ever produces is random blabbering ....
The scary part is that, at the present rate of turnover, the only aides left will be the ones that think like he does.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Jul 2018, 22:36

While likely not be the best way to do it, if it gets Europe to actually consider their own defense without us it may turnout to be a good thing.

European Leaders 'Scared to Death' Trump Will Pull US Troops

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Jul 2018, 13:19

wtf i love trump now

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Jul 2018, 14:39

I don't have an opinion on breastfeeding, but the fact that the US delegation strongly pushed a stance on the matter until Russia disagreed is...revealing.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Jul 2018, 02:01

So Trump's nominee for Supreme Court is a man who's argued that sitting presidents should not face civil or criminal prosecutions.

Shem

Post by Shem » 10 Jul 2018, 09:08

Who also worked on the Starr report.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Jul 2018, 11:41

He clearly explained this in his Minnesota Law Review article titled "IOKIYAR."

He was in favor of subjecting Presidents to legal proceedings when Clinton was President. Then he served in the Bush Administration and changed his mind. His law review article is based on remarks made in 2008, as indicated in the first footnote on page 1.

http://www.minnesotalawreview.org/wp-co ... gh_MLR.pdf
--Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Jul 2018, 12:23

So he's moved on from complaining other NATO members don't spend 2% of GDP on defense to advocating an increase in the target to 4% of GDP. Great.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Jul 2018, 12:36

Cause a bunch of Euro countries with too much army sitting around has never turned out bad in the past. Right?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 11 Jul 2018, 15:06

Currently the Euro country armies are a complete mess. It's not even that they are underfunded they are completely unready for any kind of action. Without the US military umbrella they are extremely vulnerable.

Whatever gets them off their asses and gets them to take their own protection seriously would be a big help.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jul 2018, 16:14

Painboy wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 15:06
Whatever gets them off their asses and gets them to take their own protection seriously would be a big help.
This seems like a monkey's paw type wish.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 11 Jul 2018, 16:26

Painboy wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 15:06
Currently the Euro country armies are a complete mess. It's not even that they are underfunded they are completely unready for any kind of action. Without the US military umbrella they are extremely vulnerable.

Yeah, a buddy of mine was telling me t'other day the Germans might be able to put 10% of their planes in the air at any given time. That's a pretty staggering failure of operational readiness if true.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jul 2018, 16:39

I don't know the current situation. I was in Europe in the mid 80's. Got to see the Italian Navy up close. I dare say a troop of Boy Scouts and a fleet of row boats would have more operational readiness. The British Navy was more up to snuff. I didn't get to see the Germans up close, but they were constantly preparing for the Soviets to come rolling in from the GDR.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake » 11 Jul 2018, 16:41

When I was in the Army and stationed in Germany (2000-2002), we were still preparing for the Soviets to come rolling in from the GDR.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Jul 2018, 16:45

I will say I find the "we are paying for our own defense by making the field safe over there!" a bit exasperating. At some level of cost and readiness difference between us and the people who own that back yard - you just can't make that argument anymore. It is entirely inconsistent to say we need to cut military spending (we do) while saying we have some meta security obligation to protect the EU forever while they spend nothing.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Jul 2018, 16:46

I'm not sure why we all want use of military force to be an easy and quick policy option for everyone. It's certainly not a good thing when we do it.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Jul 2018, 16:48

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 16:46
I'm not sure why we all want use of military force to be an easy and quick policy option for everyone. It's certainly not a good thing when we do it.
It had better be at least as quick and easy as it is for the people knocking on your door. Other views are simply naive.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Jul 2018, 16:55

Jake wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 16:41
When I was in the Army and stationed in Germany (2000-2002), we were still preparing for the Soviets to come rolling in from the GDR.
It's 2018 and the situation remains unchanged.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Jul 2018, 16:56

JasonL wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 16:48
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 16:46
It had better be at least as quick and easy as it is for the people knocking on your door. Other views are simply naive.
This is how WWI started.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Jul 2018, 16:59

Use of some amount of force for some amount of time had better be as quick and easy as it is for the people knocking on your door.

Punching back at the guy knocking on your door doesn't necessarily require the same resources as knocking on somebody else's door.
--Shem