Orange is the new President

Jasper

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Jasper » 27 Jun 2018, 13:44

I think a sustained campaign of incivility and harassment of government officials is, overall, a good thing.

The problem is that it should have begun decades ago and been bipartisan.

So, while it's nice that lefties are finally fed up with the power that .gov wields over us, in two years, when whatever dipshit they get to install in the White House is president, they will go right back to sucking .gov's cock and will have learned nothing of the lesson being taught right now.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Jun 2018, 13:54

Jasper wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 13:44
So, while it's nice that _____ are finally fed up with the power that .gov wields over us, in ____ years, when whatever dipshit they get to install in the White House is president, they will go right back to sucking .gov's cock and will have learned nothing of the lesson being taught right now.
Evergreen post.
Kolohe wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 12:00
Eh, I can imagine she's got a lot of threatening emails and other chatter on social media since this stupid thing started.
I can't imagine it's any worse than after the WHCD.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Jun 2018, 15:35

WTF is Fox and Friends airing? Trump thinks he's seen ICE liberate towns controlled by MS-13.

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Jun 2018, 16:42

thoreau wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 15:35
WTF is Fox and Friends airing? Trump thinks he's seen ICE liberate towns controlled by MS-13.

Either advanced dementia or Justin Trudeau put pot in the White House air conditioner.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Jun 2018, 17:05

Aresen wrote:
thoreau wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 15:35

Either advanced dementia or Justin Trudeau put pot in the White House air conditioner.
You're trying to get me to like Justin Trudeau.

It's not going to work.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 01 Jul 2018, 06:27

ICE sucks and you suck and fuck you Donald Trump.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Jul 2018, 15:40

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Jul 2018, 18:03

It's all deep state lies. Sure, he and his dad did this with Obama and Bush and Clinton and pretty much never kept to any treaty or agreement ever, but this time it's totally different because Trump is a strong leader unlike those guys so he respects Trump and that's got the deep state scared so they're lying about Kim Jong Un who's really an honest and honorable guy.

I'd makeover the bunker with padded walls.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 Jul 2018, 09:22

Tuco wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 06:27
ICE sucks and you suck and fuck you Donald Trump.
Evergreen post.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Jul 2018, 12:21

Kremlin employee announces new industrial policy:

I'm particularly impressed by the part where 2017 sales numbers are responses to 2018 announcements.
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Jul 2018, 12:40

thoreau wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 12:21
Kremlin employee announces new industrial policy:

I'm particularly impressed by the part where 2017 sales numbers are responses to 2018 announcements.
Hawgs are time machines?

JD

Post by JD » 03 Jul 2018, 12:44

Aresen wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 12:40
Hawgs are time machines?
Trump is a Time Lord! It all makes sense now!
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Jul 2018, 10:39

Trump pressed aides on Venezuela invasion, US official says

I wish I could say I thought the story was nonsense.
BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — As a meeting last August in the Oval Office to discuss sanctions on Venezuela was concluding, President Donald Trump turned to his top aides and asked an unsettling question: With a fast unraveling Venezuela threatening regional security, why can’t the U.S. just simply invade the troubled country?

The suggestion stunned those present at the meeting, including U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and national security adviser H.R. McMaster, both of whom have since left the administration. This account of the previously undisclosed conversation comes from a senior administration official familiar with what was said.

In an exchange that lasted around five minutes, McMaster and others took turns explaining to Trump how military action could backfire and risk losing hard-won support among Latin American governments to punish President Nicolas Maduro for taking Venezuela down the path of dictatorship, according to the official. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the discussions.

But Trump pushed back. Although he gave no indication he was about to order up military plans, he pointed to what he considered past cases of successful gunboat diplomacy in the region, according to the official, like the invasions of Panama and Grenada in the 1980s.

The idea, despite his aides’ best attempts to shoot it down, would nonetheless persist in the president’s head.

The next day, Aug. 11, Trump alarmed friends and foes alike with talk of a “military option” to remove Maduro from power. The public remarks were initially dismissed in U.S. policy circles as the sort of martial bluster people have come to expect from the reality TV star turned commander in chief.

But shortly afterward, he raised the issue with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos, according to the U.S. official. Two high-ranking Colombian officials who spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid antagonizing Trump confirmed the report.

Then in September, on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly, Trump discussed it again, this time at greater length, in a private dinner with leaders from four Latin American allies that included Santos, the same three people said and Politico reported in February.

The U.S. official said Trump was specifically briefed not to raise the issue and told it wouldn’t play well, but the first thing the president said at the dinner was, “My staff told me not to say this.” Trump then went around asking each leader if they were sure they didn’t want a military solution, according to the official, who added that each leader told Trump in clear terms they were sure.

Eventually, McMaster would pull aside the president and walk him through the dangers of an invasion, the official said.

JD

Post by JD » 05 Jul 2018, 13:13

I'd seen the gist of the story, but I didn't realize it was that bad. "the first thing the president said at the dinner was, “My staff told me not to say this.”"? Jesus H. Christ. It certainly fits with other things I've read about His Orangeness, which is that the only way to get him to think that an idea is good is to make him think it was his own.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Jul 2018, 13:16

H&R commenters are now in favor of invading Venezuela.

(No, that's not a joke.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Jul 2018, 13:23

nicole wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 13:16

(No, that's not a joke.)
I got the link from H&R, but went back to the source. I did not want to induce vomiting among the grylliadae by exposing them to H&R commentary.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Jul 2018, 13:52

nicole wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 13:16

(No, that's not a joke.)
It is a joke, but not the funny kind.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Jul 2018, 15:43

I wonder what's about to come out about Pruitt.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Jul 2018, 16:11

Re: Venezuela

Some people thought Trump might be the relative "peace candidate" because he didn't share Clinton's belief in America's commitments abroad and proclaimed a disinterest in other countries' problems. However, I think Venezuela shows that the disinterest is really a lack of concern for their well-being. If he thinks an ass-kicking is warranted then he wants to do that, and not worry about whether it creates a mess. Yes, America's interventionist status quo is also OK with making messes, but they cover it with a lot of rhetoric about how meddling in Whatsitstan will help the people suffering under an evil dictator. They might support drone attacks that hurt civilians, but they'll make a half-assed show of rules of engagement that supposedly protect civilians while fighting a counter-insurgency.

Trump just doesn't care enough to pretend. If he thinks we should go there and kick ass then we should go there and kick ass and not pussy-foot around.

I do think that, on the margin, some of those pretenses are worth upholding. A marginally more restrained approach might mean slightly fewer civilians killed in drone strikes, which is the slightly less terrible option. It's nothing to settle for, nothing to call good and go home, but not as bad as openly taking off the gloves.
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Jul 2018, 16:16

Given his proclaimed willingness to lead the charge in a school shooting, can we count on Trump to be first to para-drop into Caracas?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Jul 2018, 16:23

Never send Trump into enemy territory. They'd capture him and use him against us, installing him in power or something.
--Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Jul 2018, 16:28

thoreau wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 16:23
Never send Trump into enemy territory. They'd capture him and use him against us, installing him in power or something.
Yeah, as awful as he is, there are some places that would think "Presidential UPGRAAAAAAADE!"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Jul 2018, 16:32

It's spelled "U-p-g-r-a-y-e-d-d."

--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Jul 2018, 17:18

Much as I loathe Trump, I can only give the story a truthiness score of 40 - 50%.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Jul 2018, 18:24

If Trump's election proves nothing else, it proves that the arguments against nations assassinating each other's leaders is far weaker than was previously believed.