Orange is the new President

Aresen

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Aresen » 11 Jun 2018, 00:19

thoreau wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 00:07
Why is he complaining to Emmanuel Macron about German cars?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump ... 2018-06-10

Is he aware that France and Germany are separate countries?
Fixed
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Jun 2018, 03:06

I just realized that Trump's antics at the G7 summit make this guy look good by comparison:Image
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 11 Jun 2018, 03:54

As long as his eyebrows stay on.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Jun 2018, 10:06

Trump has succeeded in doing what no Canadian Prime Minister has done for 60 years: Unify Canada.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jun 2018, 10:12

I remember when a president giving shitty gifts to allies was audacious behavior by a president.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 11 Jun 2018, 11:30

John Bolton said on Twitter,
Just another #G7 where other countries expect America will always be their bank. The President made it clear today. No more.
I guess that fucking idiot missed the fact that the bank is usually one of the richest and most powerful businesses in town.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Jun 2018, 11:31

RelevantImage
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

JD

Post by JD » 11 Jun 2018, 11:39

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Jun 2018, 08:44

Making Juche Great Again, to own the libs.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Jun 2018, 11:00

Kim Wins! The rest of the world: Not so much.
So Kim leaves Singapore having gained much of the international legitimacy the dynastic dictatorship has sought for decades. But the gifts from Trump did not end there. He also announced an end to US military exercises in the Korean peninsula – the “war games” which he said were costly and, deploying language Pyongyang itself might have used, “very provocative”. Trump also hinted at an eventual withdrawal of the 28,000 US troops stationed in the Korean peninsula.
I am sure the South Koreans are delighted.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Jun 2018, 11:09

But ... isn't that what a lot of people wanted to happen - I mean liberal people and libertarian people?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Jun 2018, 11:25

JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 11:09
But ... isn't that what a lot of people wanted to happen - I mean liberal people and libertarian people?
Yes. I do want it. But I don't want it to be a concession to KJU for meaningless 'denuclearization' promises.

If Trump had said three days ago "In discussions with South Korea, we have agreed to end joint military exercises and withdraw US troops to pave the way for peace", he would have gotten my full endorsement.

Instead, he appears to have blindsided the South Koreans.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Jun 2018, 11:41

I sort of have this view that there is nothing but to live with crazy pants so this kind of first step was inevitable unless you wanted to stay put with ballistic missiles flying over sea of japan. I don't think you will get de nuclearization under any set of terms - crazy pants is always under all conditions better off with nukes than without because the fundamental thing he seeks is the ability to act like crazypants without fear of invasion and he cares not one bit about sanctions that affect his people because he starves them and shoots them with AA guns anyway and he's rich.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jun 2018, 12:35

JasonL wrote:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of poking at hornets nests with sticks.
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Jun 2018, 12:52

I want to see the US reduce its involvement in the Korean Peninsula.

I'd like to see that happen in a gradual, orderly manner that is respectful of the security of the freer, more liberal half of the peninsula. Not on the basis of "I met with the crazy man and he seems much nicer than Justin Trudeau so let's do this for as long as I remain in this mood!"
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Jun 2018, 13:09

JasonL wrote:
Not sure that people were focused on war games. And typically you give something up in exchange for something.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Jun 2018, 13:24

The entire history of North Korea has been fake concessions of a temporary and unenforceable nature. Nobody wants to enforce anything, for good reason, so you are never really getting anything other than temporary appearance of fewer tantrums.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Jun 2018, 13:25

Mo wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 13:09
JasonL wrote:
Not sure that people were focused on war games. And typically you give something up in exchange for something.
But if the only winning move is not to play....did Donald Trump just win?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Jun 2018, 13:25

Disengagement should be more about coaxing SK to step up rather than expecting something from NK.
--Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 12 Jun 2018, 13:45

Aresen wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 11:00
So Kim leaves Singapore having gained much of the international legitimacy the dynastic dictatorship has sought for decades. But the gifts from Trump did not end there. He also announced an end to US military exercises in the Korean peninsula – the “war games” which he said were costly and, deploying language Pyongyang itself might have used, “very provocative”. Trump also hinted at an eventual withdrawal of the 28,000 US troops stationed in the Korean peninsula.
I hope so. Their President is the reason it happened.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Jun 2018, 17:29

Shem wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 13:45
Aresen wrote:
The summit, yes.
An end to the joint military exercises? I am doubtful. Particularly as first reports are that Seoul was blindsided by the announcement.

Shem

Post by Shem » 12 Jun 2018, 18:01

Aresen wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 17:29
Shem wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 13:45
Aresen wrote:
The summit, yes.
An end to the joint military exercises? I am doubtful. Particularly as first reports are that Seoul was blindsided by the announcement.
The noises about the end of the military exercises (they're not actually going to end them, there's no constituency anywhere in DC for that. That was just Trump mimicking the last person he talked to) happened because of the summit, and Moon Jae-in's idiotic and baffling belief that Trump could be deployed as a tool without costing more than his benefit provided.

For all that the world scoffs about how little we know of them, it's sometimes darkly amusing to see just how foolhardy their assessments of us are.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Jun 2018, 18:10

Shem wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 18:01
The noises about the end of the military exercises (they're not actually going to end them, there's no constituency anywhere in DC for that. That was just Trump mimicking the last person he talked to) happened because of the summit, and Moon Jae-in's idiotic and baffling belief that Trump could be deployed as a tool without costing more than his benefit provided.

For all that the world scoffs about how little we know of them, it's sometimes darkly amusing to see just how foolhardy their assessments of us are.
Trump said it. He said no more military exercises:

US to suspend military exercises with South Korea, Trump says
Donald Trump has ordered the suspension of US military exercises with South Korea, in a surprise concession at an extraordinary summit with North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un.

The US had previously ruled out such a move on the grounds that the exercises were a key element of its military alliance with Seoul and deterrent against North Korea.

In return for the US concession, Kim signed a joint statement committing to denuclearisation, but it was a vaguely worded commitment that the regime has made several times before over the past three decades. Asked what would be different this time, Trump pointed to his instincts as a dealmaker.
I know a Trump statement should never be taken at face value, but the North Korean regime is certain to play that statement for all it's worth.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Jun 2018, 18:27

Aresen wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 18:10
I know a Trump statement should never be taken at face value, but the North Korean regime is certain to play that statement for all it's worth.
Yes, and when he walks away from that and joint exercises happen anyway, NK will be obligated to throw a temper tantrum. If an NK temper tantrum was just some rant on NK state TV, eh. But NK has done all sorts of bad and destabilizing things in the outside world.

This is one of the many reasons why it was such a bad idea for Trump's babysitters* to let him talk to Kim Jong Un. He was guaranteed to let his mouth write checks that could never be cashed, and give them to people who would not react with equanamity when the checks bounce.

*Please let me pretend that he has babysitters. Please.
--Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 12 Jun 2018, 19:09

Aresen wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 18:10
Shem wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 18:01

Trump said it. He said no more military exercises:

US to suspend military exercises with South Korea, Trump says
Yeah, so? He also said trans people would be banned from the military. And that NATO was obsolete. And that we will withdraw from Syria. And enough other half-cocked lunacy to make listening to what he says pointless unless the rest of the government backs it up.