Orange is the new President

dead_elvis

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by dead_elvis » 13 Mar 2018, 05:58

Trump pre-emptively blocks Broadcom buying Qualcomm. National security or protectionism?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/bus ... story.html
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 13 Mar 2018, 06:01

I know one of the security law blogs I follow was really worried about that merger. So at least plausibly national security.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Mar 2018, 08:35

Seems weird because Broadcom had just announced that they were moving HQ back to the US.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Mar 2018, 08:51

Tillerson out.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Mar 2018, 08:58

Addition by subtraction.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Mar 2018, 10:56

nicole wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 08:51
Tillerson out.
Fuck. Tillerson was one of the few (relatively) sane voices in the administration.

Yes-men, yahoos and paranoids. Perfect recipe for groupthink.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Mar 2018, 11:04

So we now have a torture overseer and evidence destroyer nominated as CIA chief. Thanks for "looking forward, not backward" Obama.

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Mar 2018, 11:16

But she's the first woman to have the job!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Mar 2018, 11:29

nicole wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 11:16
But she's the first woman to have the job!
It is important that our torture programs be overseen by a diverse group of people. Lack of diversity leads to monoculture in torture. Without diversity, we might wind up torturing people by dipping a Koran in a toilet, instead of a more culturally sensitive method like immersion in ice water.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Mar 2018, 11:47

So Trump's body man is removed because he's being investigated by DHS for serious financial crimes. That seems odd, as Treeasury usually handles financial crimes. Looking at DHS' structure, is the issue that he was involved in a counterfeiting ring?

Shem

Post by Shem » 13 Mar 2018, 12:07

Mo wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 11:47
So Trump's body man is removed because he's being investigated by DHS for serious financial crimes. That seems odd, as Treeasury usually handles financial crimes. Looking at DHS' structure, is the issue that he was involved in a counterfeiting ring?
The Secret Service also investigates international bank fraud, identity fraud involving international actors, cybercrime, and can have jurisdiction over financial crimes involving organized crime syndicates.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Mar 2018, 12:09

Well, from the Canadian point of view, firing Tillerson isn't all bad:

At the open: TSX climbs as Tillerson ouster lifts gold

I'll be in my bunker.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Mar 2018, 13:18

I don't like him, but Tony got off a zinger:
Tony wrote:Having a more successful businessman around gave Trump the sads.
http://reason.com/blog/2018/03/13/trump ... ld#comment

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Mar 2018, 11:00

It is going to be interesting to see how the GOP reacts to the result in Pennsylvania 18.

Even if the GOP ultimately wins, the last time there was a contested election in the district the GOP had a 28 point spread.

November is going to be a GOP horror show.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Mar 2018, 11:33

I want two things this November: 67 Blue Senators and evidence of collusion with Russia.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Mar 2018, 11:57

thoreau wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 11:33
I want two things this November: 67 Blue Senators and evidence of collusion with Russia.
If you get 67 Blue Senators, they would convict him on his hairpiece. Or on the way he trims his toenails. It would be pure sports bar.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 Mar 2018, 12:21

To get Trump, if he's a tenth as bad as it looks, they just need a majority in the house and a will. At some point, dragging him through investigative hearings will cause even the GOP officeholders to flee, unless they really decide to join pharaoh in his tomb.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Mar 2018, 12:38

thoreau wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 11:33
Shouldn't be hard. The Blues have been colluding with Russia since Lenin.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Mar 2018, 13:13

Ok, but when do we get Chief Justice Judy?

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ent-report

Or Dog The Bounty Hunter as head of the US Marshals Service?
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Mar 2018, 13:49

Aresen wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 11:00
It is going to be interesting to see how the GOP reacts to the result in Pennsylvania 18.

Even if the GOP ultimately wins, the last time there was a contested election in the district the GOP had a 28 point spread.

November is going to be a GOP horror show.
Apparently, by reversing on about five decades of principles and calling personally opposed to abortion, but against anti-abortion laws as a 'pro life' candidate.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Mar 2018, 12:28

It is a given that all politicians lie, especially to each other and that they lie to politicians from other countries, too.

But the first rule is that you never admit you are lying:
President Trump boasted in a fundraising speech Wednesday that he made up information in a meeting with the leader of a top U.S. ally, saying he insisted to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the United States runs a trade deficit with its neighbor to the north without knowing whether that was true.

“Trudeau came to see me. He’s a good guy, Justin. He said, ‘No, no, we have no trade deficit with you, we have none. Donald, please,’ ” Trump said, mimicking Trudeau, according to audio of the private event in Missouri obtained by The Washington Post. “Nice guy, good-looking guy, comes in — ‘Donald, we have no trade deficit.’ He’s very proud because everybody else, you know, we’re getting killed.

“... So, he’s proud. I said, ‘Wrong, Justin, you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ You know why? Because we’re so stupid. … And I thought they were smart. I said, ‘You’re wrong, Justin.’ He said, ‘Nope, we have no trade deficit.’ I said, ‘Well, in that case, I feel differently,’ I said, ‘but I don’t believe it.’ I sent one of our guys out, his guy, my guy, they went out, I said, ‘Check, because I can’t believe it.’

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Mar 2018, 20:26

So now it looks like Trump made up the story about making up trade facts.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Mar 2018, 00:01

Eleven complex dimensional chess!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Mar 2018, 00:11

Quaternionic chess!
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Mar 2018, 00:24

Catatonic chess