Orange is the new President

thoreau

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by thoreau » 06 Mar 2018, 03:06

Mo wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 21:17
The Sam Nunberg character they introduced in season two is way over the top. They're trying to fit way too many subplots that they can't tie together by the season finale.
I think they're trying to make the viewers question whether Mueller is really the good guy, by having him go after a pathetic guy with serious issues.

But maybe Mueller will offer Nunberg a redemption arc, and thereby experience his own redemption in the eyes of the viewer.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Mar 2018, 04:48

No, he’s just the character they had to introduce to qualify for DEA funding of the production.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Mar 2018, 07:42

Some of us remember Sam Nunberg from 2015. You guys have some rewatching to do.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Mar 2018, 08:32

I remember his cameo in the 2014 pilot, but they made him too crazy this season.

ETA: The "media should see he has mental health issues and not put him on the air" Twitter (former known as "you can't diagnose mental health without knowing the person Twitter, so don't medicalize the president" Twitter) is pretty terrible.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 06 Mar 2018, 10:48

Regarding "Trade wars are good, and easy to win", my reaction is that there are not enough WTF emojis in the world for a proper reaction.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Mar 2018, 10:55

JD wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:48
Regarding "Trade wars are good, and easy to win", my reaction is that there are not enough WTF emojis in the world for a proper reaction.
It appears that Trump is intent on starting one (or has already started one, I'm not sure of what constitutional/legislative authority he has to impose tariffs without Congressional approval.)

I am desperately hoping that the Canadian government will have the sense not to retaliate. (This is unlikely, because that would be seen as 'weak' in some quarters, including Navarro's office.)

With Trade Wars, the only way to win is not to fight.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Mar 2018, 11:13

Aresen wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:55
JD wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:48
It appears that Trump is intent on starting one (or has already started one, I'm not sure of what constitutional/legislative authority he has to impose tariffs without Congressional approval.)

I am desperately hoping that the Canadian government will have the sense not to retaliate. (This is unlikely, because that would be seen as 'weak' in some quarters, including Navarro's office.)

With Trade Wars, the only way to win is not to fight.
The orange shithead has claimed a "National Security" authority which does exist in the statutes. The problem is that he's then said that the tariffs are negotiable, depending on whether countries play ball with other things (like ag imports to Canada), which appears to undermine the "national security" imperative, since it's apparently ok if Canada buys more milk.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Mar 2018, 11:17

He hasn't actually imposed the tariffs yet AFAIK, it will take some time to prepare the language of the order, and in the interim HOLY SHIT LOOK! OVER THERE! HE'S TWEETING ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE AND A DRUNK GUY IS MELTING DOWN ON CNN!!!!

We've got 34 more months of this. Unless Burger King finally destroys his coronary arteries.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Mar 2018, 11:40

He has the authority to implement tariffs because Congress has delegated that power to the executive. They could just as easily revoke it.

What? Stop laughing.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 06 Mar 2018, 12:30

Mo wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 11:40
He has the authority to implement tariffs because Congress has delegated that power to the executive. They could just as easily revoke it.

What? Stop laughing.
Sorry, the face-covered shoulder-heaving was from sobs, not poorly-controlled laughter.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Mar 2018, 12:41

Sandy wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:30
Mo wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 11:40

What? Stop laughing.
Sorry, the face-covered shoulder-heaving was from sobs, not poorly-controlled laughter.
Wait, that wasn't an attempt to suppress retching? Just me then? Okay.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Mar 2018, 17:48

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/us/p ... signs.html

There are plenty of ways you can hurt a man
And bring him to the ground
You can beat him, you can cheat him, you can treat him bad
And leave him when he's down, yeah
But I'm ready, yes I'm ready for you
I'm standing on my own two feet
Out of the doorway the bullets rip
Repeating the sound of the beat
Oh yeah
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Mar 2018, 21:21

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Mar 2018, 21:22

nicole wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 07:42
Some of us remember Sam Nunberg from 2015. You guys have some rewatching to do.
Yeah he was in the pilot episode but wasn't part of the regular series run.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Mar 2018, 22:53

The writers are just outdoing themselves. The plot twists keep escalating, the characters keep getting more unpredictable, and I'm starting to think Jenji Kohen is the showrunner.

Stormy Daniels is suing the President.
--Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Mar 2018, 09:10

We're not sending our best people

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 07 Mar 2018, 09:50

They aren't cucks, though, so they'll kick him right back across the border.

Jake

Post by Jake » 07 Mar 2018, 11:03

nicole wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 09:10

Am I the only one who looks at Jared Kushner and sees an H.P. Lovecraft character? The sort who everyone thinks of as "sensitive" and who would spend grey evenings sitting at the entrance to the family crypt and writing poems.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Mar 2018, 11:27

Jake wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 11:03
nicole wrote:

Am I the only one who looks at Jared Kushner and sees an H.P. Lovecraft character? The sort who everyone thinks of as "sensitive" and who would spend grey evenings sitting at the entrance to the family crypt and writing poems.
That thousand-yard stare is pretty creepy.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dhex

Post by dhex » 07 Mar 2018, 12:15

just realized drudge aesthetic was created by someone asking "hey, what if geocities fucked alex jones?"
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 07 Mar 2018, 12:41

Aresen wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 11:27
Jake wrote:
nicole wrote:

That thousand-yard stare is pretty creepy.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 07 Mar 2018, 13:41

Jake wrote:
I was thinking more "The Shadow Over Innsmouth."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Mar 2018, 16:30

Shem wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 13:41
Jake wrote:
I was thinking more "The Shadow Over Innsmouth."
I do sometimes wonder when he'll rejoin the Deep Ones.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 07 Mar 2018, 17:05

Jake wrote:

The sort who everyone thinks of as "sensitive" and who would spend grey evenings sitting at the entrance to the family crypt and writing poems.
Turns out Harold, after sending his hearse plunging off the cliff, said fuck all this maudlin shit I'mma gonna marry a model and enjoy the hell out of money.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Mar 2018, 17:42

I got Gorka on the Buzzfeed quiz. I don’t know how I should feel.