Orange is the new President

Jennifer

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Jennifer » 03 Mar 2018, 14:59

Ellie wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 14:56
"BREAKING: White House in Lockdown After Reports of Shots Fired"

The hope that sprang into my heart when I saw that headline would be called extremely unpatriotic by most conservatives, but I can't help it.
I felt a similar hope when I first learned of this story -- especially since the first such headline I saw read "Man shoots himself outside White House," which I originally misread as "Man shoots himself inside White House."

Alas, no. 'Twas not to be.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Mar 2018, 15:20

If Trump were to not complete his term, for whatever reason, it would not be good.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Mar 2018, 15:29

He never weekends in DC guys
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Mar 2018, 16:53

Trump being shot would be a disaster. We might be looking at riots, pogroms of a sort (depending on the identity of the culprit), and measures akin to the Patriot Act. Pence would take office with a mandate to get revenge rather than a warning that Presidents are removable by legal means.

He needs to be impeached and convicted, or else removed by arterial plaques.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Mar 2018, 18:09

thoreau wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 16:53
Trump being shot would be a disaster. We might be looking at riots, pogroms of a sort (depending on the identity of the culprit), and measures akin to the Patriot Act. Pence would take office with a mandate to get revenge rather than a warning that Presidents are removable by legal means.

He needs to be impeached and convicted, or else removed by arterial plaques.
Arterial plaques would never be believed by the conspiracy-mongers. At this point, the Trumpers would take even the SMOD as part of a conspiracy. And impeachment would be 'libruls stole the prezident'.

I am hoping for the GOP to take a kicking this November followed by two years of gridlock.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 03 Mar 2018, 19:32

Trump on China's Xi consolidating power: 'Maybe we'll give that a shot some day'

"He's now president for life. President for life. And he's great," Trump said. "And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll give that a shot some day."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Mar 2018, 21:52

Shem wrote:
Trump on China's Xi consolidating power: 'Maybe we'll give that a shot some day'

"He's now president for life. President for life. And he's great," Trump said. "And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll give that a shot some day."
It’s stuff like this that makes me think Thoreau is a bit too hard on extralegal transition.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Mar 2018, 22:20

lunchstealer wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 21:52
Shem wrote:

It’s stuff like this that makes me think Thoreau is a bit too hard on extralegal transition.
If Trump is killed by anyone other than the fast food industry we run the risk of Pence getting the President-for-Life thing as part of the State of Emergency.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Mar 2018, 12:30

thoreau wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 22:20
lunchstealer wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 21:52
Shem wrote:

If Trump is killed by anyone other than the fast food industry we run the risk of Pence getting the President-for-Life thing as part of the State of Emergency.
Pence doesn't have a base large enough for that thought to ever cross the minds of a Congress in which suddenly half the Republican members are starting to imagine themselves in the White House in 2020. His Christian Dominionism aside, not that that's a small problem, Pence himself is mostly a cypher.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Mar 2018, 14:00

Kevin Williamson wrote:Jamie Kirchick of the Brookings Institution wryly observes: “Everything Trump says makes sense when you just preface it with, ‘Donald from Queens, you’re on the air.’”
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/ ... ignorance/
--Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 04 Mar 2018, 21:07

thoreau wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 14:00
Kevin Williamson wrote:Jamie Kirchick of the Brookings Institution wryly observes: “Everything Trump says makes sense when you just preface it with, ‘Donald from Queens, you’re on the air.’”
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/ ... ignorance/
I thought that was pretty good observation.

dhex

Post by dhex » 05 Mar 2018, 08:28

it's the most sense making you can make of it.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Mar 2018, 09:11

Pence lacks the political instincts and gravitas to make it as a two term governor of Indiana, let alone president for life.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 05 Mar 2018, 15:10

COMMERCE DEPT: we're going to carefully craft a national security justification for tariffs on aluminum and steel in order to avoid running afoul of the WTO. We should just be able to make it.

TRUMP:
Hold my beer, fam

As part of that process, the Commerce Department has produced two elaborate reports arguing that the steel and aluminum industries need to be protected for the sake of American safety and well-being. But by telling Canada that it might be able to get rid of the tariffs by letting U.S. dairy farmers sell more milk in Toronto, Trump is making a mockery of that carefully wrought legal fiction. After all, if the health of the steel and aluminum industries were actually essential to U.S. security interests, the president probably wouldn’t be willing to barter them for butter sales.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Mar 2018, 15:13

Haha anyone working for the administration who actually did something carefully at this point deserves whatever they get. The only careful is the broomwork trying to clean up after our baby in chief.

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Mar 2018, 15:20

I should just make this a recurring bit. More school on Sunday.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Mar 2018, 16:38

Nunberg on Jake Tapper is amazing
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Shem

Post by Shem » 05 Mar 2018, 16:58

I saw the Katy Tur interview "[Trump] may well have done something illegal."

Shem

Post by Shem » 05 Mar 2018, 17:01

Also "I think it would be funny if they arrest me." (For refusing a subpoena) He doesn't think Mueller will follow through. I think he confused the toothless House subpoenas with Mueller's.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Mar 2018, 17:03

If Mueller arrests him, there are millions of people (me included) who will orgasm so hard that the cleanup will require passage of a new infrastructure bill.

Fair warning.
--Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 05 Mar 2018, 19:00

He's still talking. He called Sarah Sanders a fat slob, said Carter Page is a Russian asset, said Gates and Manafort are criminals, and it goes on like that. Plus he's using words like "unpossible." This is insane.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Mar 2018, 19:05

Goddamnit, I thought you guys were saying that Trump was the one daring Mueller to make an arrest.

Way to get my hopes up.
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Mar 2018, 21:17

The Sam Nunberg character they introduced in season two is way over the top. They're trying to fit way too many subplots that they can't tie together by the season finale.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Mar 2018, 21:27

Read Nunberg's Wikipedia entry before it gets changed.

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Mar 2018, 21:30

They already removed "failed alcoholic show pony."

Also: