Orange is the new President

thoreau

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by thoreau » 15 Feb 2018, 12:10

Or both, more likely.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Feb 2018, 12:11

upside down question mark por que no los dos question mark.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 Feb 2018, 12:16

Kolohe wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 11:23
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 01:24
If the president gets wind of something and wants to see it, there's no legal authority to withhold it. However, access to classified material requires both the appropriate level clearance and the need to know. I can think of any number of specific bits of classified information POTUS arguably would have no need to know.
I can't really make the case that there is nothing the President doesn't 'need to know'. Practically, though, there's stuff that's compartments within compartments that even a dilligent President would not know the full details of. (and probably wouldn't want to, as it would be micromanaging)
The precise location or movement of military forces is, or was back in my day, a specific piece of classified information I can't imagine a president needing to know, though I would again qualify that by saying that if the president specifically asked for such information the "need to know" requirement would legally be deemed to have been met.

Shem

Post by Shem » 15 Feb 2018, 12:58

Since the President is the wellspring of all classification, I'd say it's not even a matter of meeting the standard. It's like asking if Article II of the Constitution is constitutional.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Feb 2018, 13:05

As a minor nitpick to 'wellspring of all classifcation' I think (and I'm not a lawyer) that some stuff is automatically classified because it falls under a provision of the law (e.g. Atomic Energy Act), but the President or designee may, per the law decide to declassify or waive classification (the latter is most often used to get a tidbit of some data to a foreign government that doesn't have a permanent info sharing agreement with us).

I think techincally the President would be violating the law if he, say, dumped the complete specs of a Trident II warhead onto the internet.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 15 Feb 2018, 13:19

If he can get around the law by signing a piece of paper that says "this is totes ok, lol," I'm not sure the distinction is all that germane.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Feb 2018, 13:35

I thought that matters relating to nuclear weapons were governed by some pretty specific statutes while a lot of other military and intelligence matters handled as much by tacit understandings and precedent as statute.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Feb 2018, 23:21

The whole, is the dress blue or gold thing is getting ridiculous now.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Feb 2018, 23:42

Mo wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 23:21
I do not know why Team Blue and the MSM thinks anybody besides themselves cares about Trump's affairs. As long as Trump's sex life is hetero, non-partisans are indifferent and Trumpers are cheering him on.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 16 Feb 2018, 10:08

Aresen wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 23:42
I do not know why Team Blue and the MSM thinks anybody besides themselves cares about Trump's affairs. As long as Trump's sex life is hetero, non-partisans are indifferent and Trumpers are cheering him on.
BUT MUH CLINTON
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Feb 2018, 11:38

I think it would be amusing if the press could goad Melania into divorcing him while he's in office.
--Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 16 Feb 2018, 12:01

Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:
I'm just waiting for someone to shout "at least Bill Clinton didn't have to pay!" where he can hear them. The tweet storm would be epic.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Feb 2018, 12:06

Shem wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:
I'm just waiting for someone to shout "at least Bill Clinton didn't have to pay!" where he can hear them. The tweet storm would be epic.
OMG I want this so bad that part of me believes that a loving God allowed Trump to win just so that something that awesome could happen.
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Feb 2018, 12:07

Shem wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 12:01
Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:
Made me laugh.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Feb 2018, 16:25

Epic tweet storm is a contradiction in terms.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Feb 2018, 17:15

The lack of any mention of the hacks means there are bigger fish left to fry.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Feb 2018, 23:17

The one consistent thing about Mitt Romney is his shameless inconsistency.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Feb 2018, 23:25

And he's running in Utah, the red state that had the strongest #NeverTrump third party candidate. If he denounced Trump and all his works he could probably cobble together enough McMullin Republicans, independents, and even Blues that he could win while alienating the Trumpsters.
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Feb 2018, 23:33

If I go to see Skyrnd live, I expect to hear Freebird. If I'm voting for Romney, I expect transparent, amoral pandering.

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Feb 2018, 01:06

Mo wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 23:33
If I go to see Skyrnd live, I expect to hear Freebird. If I'm voting for Romney, I expect transparent, amoral pandering.
Look, if you bought Stones tickets
and Jagger didn't play
'Satisfaction', how would you feel?
Would you be happy?
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 20 Feb 2018, 01:16

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 23:33
Look, if you bought Stones tickets
and Jagger didn't play
'Satisfaction', how would you feel?
Would you be happy?
He might just get what he needs, even if he’s not satisfied.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 Feb 2018, 06:05

I still dont quite get why Romney is doing this.

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Feb 2018, 10:11

The writers for the 2018 season really need to be more subtle.

Shem

Post by Shem » 20 Feb 2018, 10:16

Kolohe wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 06:05
I still dont quite get why Romney is doing this.
Running for Senate, or accepting that endorsement?

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Feb 2018, 10:20

I would presume the former, but the latter makes little sense as well.