Orange is the new President

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21098
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 03 Nov 2017, 11:30

This is turning into a shit show. Now churches are mad about the adoption tax credit being gone and worried about the standard deduction.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11831
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by the innominate one » 03 Nov 2017, 11:37

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7630
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by nicole » 03 Nov 2017, 12:08

Mo wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 11:30
This is turning into a shit show. Now churches are mad about the adoption tax credit being gone and worried about the standard deduction.
This doesn't even make sense based on what I've read:
Republicans in Congress want to double the standard deduction – the amount income taxpayers can claim even if they don’t itemize their tax deductions. The proposed change would simplify filing and reduce the need to itemize, so fewer people would be eligible to claim charitable deductions.
Since the "doubled" standard deduction would also include the "personal" one, it's not actually a bigger deduction. I thought the only actual factor that was changing whether you'd want to itemize, in practice, was the elimination of the state and local tax deduction.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21098
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 03 Nov 2017, 12:40

nicole wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 12:08
Mo wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 11:30
This is turning into a shit show. Now churches are mad about the adoption tax credit being gone and worried about the standard deduction.
This doesn't even make sense based on what I've read:
Republicans in Congress want to double the standard deduction – the amount income taxpayers can claim even if they don’t itemize their tax deductions. The proposed change would simplify filing and reduce the need to itemize, so fewer people would be eligible to claim charitable deductions.
Since the "doubled" standard deduction would also include the "personal" one, it's not actually a bigger deduction. I thought the only actual factor that was changing whether you'd want to itemize, in practice, was the elimination of the state and local tax deduction.
The doubled standard deduction does include removing the personal exemptions, but the total deduction is still a little bit larger (like 25%) than before. SALT is a more common way to put people over the top. So the reduced SALT, combined with the cap on mortgage deductions means that someone is way less likely to be able to itemize their donations.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7630
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by nicole » 03 Nov 2017, 12:45

Mo wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 12:40
nicole wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 12:08
Mo wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 11:30
This is turning into a shit show. Now churches are mad about the adoption tax credit being gone and worried about the standard deduction.
This doesn't even make sense based on what I've read:
Republicans in Congress want to double the standard deduction – the amount income taxpayers can claim even if they don’t itemize their tax deductions. The proposed change would simplify filing and reduce the need to itemize, so fewer people would be eligible to claim charitable deductions.
Since the "doubled" standard deduction would also include the "personal" one, it's not actually a bigger deduction. I thought the only actual factor that was changing whether you'd want to itemize, in practice, was the elimination of the state and local tax deduction.
The doubled standard deduction does include removing the personal exemptions, but the total deduction is still a little bit larger (like 25%) than before. SALT is a more common way to put people over the top. So the reduced SALT, combined with the cap on mortgage deductions means that someone is way less likely to be able to itemize their donations.
Right. It's just a relatively small difference in absolute terms ($1,650 bigger deduction for a single person) which would be dwarfed by your state and local tax bill. For the people who aren't deducting SALT I guess it could make a difference, I'd just expect the SALT thing to overall be a much bigger factor in who would or wouldn't itemize. (Changes in IL tax rates are the only thing that decide whether I itemize every year.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11831
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by the innominate one » 05 Nov 2017, 13:09

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7630
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by nicole » 05 Nov 2017, 20:41

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11831
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by the innominate one » 05 Nov 2017, 20:47

So it's just libtardian smuggery to point out what's wrong with Trump's comment, right?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13133
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Aresen » 05 Nov 2017, 20:49

the innominate one wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 20:47
So it's just libtardian smuggery to point out what's wrong with Trump's comment, right?
After one has reassembled one's exploded head, yes.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11831
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by the innominate one » 05 Nov 2017, 21:02

But he's a rich businessman! He'll make a great president with his business smarts and know-how!

Admittedly, it's pretty smart to arrange to be born into a rich family from which you can inherit a fortune.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11831
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 16:12

The woman who was photographed flipping off the presidential motorcade was fired for obscenity on social media. Her employer is a federal contractor. Not Trump's fault, of course, but related to him and notable.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 12618
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Kolohe » 06 Nov 2017, 16:39

the innominate one wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 16:12
The woman who was photographed flipping off the presidential motorcade was fired for obscenity on social media. Her employer is a federal contractor. Not Trump's fault, of course, but related to him and notable.
She was also in a marketing and communications profession, so as a matter of professional knowledge should have known how to compartmentalize her own social media presence.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11831
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 16:44

I don't know that she posted the photo on social media. It went viral on its own as a photo taken by someone else. Do you have information to the contrary?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 24445
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by thoreau » 06 Nov 2017, 16:53

I've seen reports that she used it as her profile picture.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 8940
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 Nov 2017, 17:03

I read she had used it but did keep her personal stuff walled off.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11831
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by the innominate one » 06 Nov 2017, 17:04

Thanks.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11045
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Nov 2017, 18:34

There's no walled-off when an image goes viral and winds up a horde of Reds or Blues. They will find you.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13133
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Aresen » 06 Nov 2017, 21:48

She can get a job with The Young Turks.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21098
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 07 Nov 2017, 22:40

He's a grifter, but he's an honest grifter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... te-n818706
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11831
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by the innominate one » 07 Nov 2017, 22:48

Bullshit.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17776
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by dbcooper » 08 Nov 2017, 01:54

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11831
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by the innominate one » 08 Nov 2017, 07:23

A mere 3 years, 3 months remaining as the world's greatest stuporpower.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11831
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by the innominate one » 08 Nov 2017, 07:50

Mo wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 22:40
He's a grifter, but he's an honest grifter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... te-n818706
To elaborate, the estate tax as it stands won't affect Trump, he'll be dead.

Also, I read that the Trump Org is largely composed of pass-through businesses, which are heavily favored in the proposed tax revisions.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11831
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by the innominate one » 08 Nov 2017, 07:51

the innominate one wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 07:50
Mo wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 22:40
He's a grifter, but he's an honest grifter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... te-n818706
To elaborate on my bullshit comment, the estate tax as it stands won't affect Trump, he'll be dead.

Also, I read that the Trump Org is largely composed of pass-through businesses, which are heavily favored in the proposed tax revisions.
Last edited by Number 6 on 20 Nov 2017, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Member request
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21098
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 08 Nov 2017, 11:28

So it looks like there's at least one more fake billionaire in this administration.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexand ... 2-billion/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 8 guests